reattach ejected USB drive

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
tgsbn
Getting the hang of things

reattach ejected USB drive

Post by tgsbn »

I'm using the "Eject after job completion" option with HBS 3.
Time and again I find myself trotting to the NAS, unplugging and replugging the external USB disk after a backup run because I still need it connected but the job has already ejected it.
Is there a way to reattach a USB drive that has been ejected but is still physically connected, without physically disconnecting and reconnecting it?
P3R
Guru

Re: reattach ejected USB drive

Post by P3R »

tgsbn wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:20 pm Is there a way to reattach a USB drive that has been ejected but is still physically connected, without physically disconnecting and reconnecting it?
Not that I know of but if you don't want it ejected you could stop using that option in the job.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tgsbn

Post by tgsbn »

P3R wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:06 am Not that I know of but if you don't want it ejected you could stop using that option in the job.
Sure, but in most cases I do want it ejected.
The cases where I don't are just frequent enough to be annoying.

Another possibility would be to disable that option temporarily in those cases before starting the backup.
Alas, this is prevented by HBS's peculiarity of hiding that option when the corresponding disk is not connected.
(Which is an extremely stupid design decision for many more reasons than just this one.)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

If you have two jobs with that option as the only difference it would be very simple to select the behaviour you want. I'm not sure if HBS will allow two jobs with the same source and destination but it's worth a try I think.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tgsbn

Post by tgsbn »

Creating the second job fails because the destination folder already exists.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Yes of course with a backup that's expected (it may work with a sync job but that doesn't help you). i'm sorry, no more ideas.

VolkLe
New here

Post by VolkLe »

With HSB2 I had this working perfectly. Always before the back-up / sync I did a schedule restart of the NAS (Power settings) and it recognized the USB drive.
Then when it ended it got ejected.
In HSB3 I can't click the "eject" option.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

VolkLe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:04 am In HSB3 I can't click the "eject" option.
I'm guessing now but you probably need to map the disk in the job configuration to later be able to select to eject it. Do you map the external disk, not just select it?

VolkLe
New here

Post by VolkLe »

P3R wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:16 am
VolkLe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:04 am In HSB3 I can't click the "eject" option.
I'm guessing now but you probably need to map the disk in the job configuration to later be able to select to eject it. Do you map the external disk, not just select it?
"Eject" does not work for sync or back-up with a schedule. Odd but when using different criteria, it is an active option. Solved it now, to be tested however with my requirements.
tgsbn

Post by tgsbn »

Just to wrap up my original question: yes, there is a way.
Logging in to the NAS via ssh and entering the commands:

Code: Select all

echo 0 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1/authorized
echo 1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1/authorized
makes the "ejected" USB drive reappear just as if it had been unplugged and replugged, including the start of an Auto-Backup job that has been defined for that disk, if any.

Incidentally, this means that an "ejected" USB backup disk is not safe from crypto trojans.
So always disconnect your backup disk physically after running a backup!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”