Mystery data taking up storage space?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
jpkellogg
Starting out

Mystery data taking up storage space?

Post by jpkellogg » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 am

My older TS-220 is showing that I'm running lower on space (~370 GB remaining of 2.7 TB on 3TB drives), but when I look at the folder allocation it seems like I have only consumed 1.5 TB. By some simple math that's a difference of 880 GB that would be nice to have back. Could you help me understand what is eating all my space or how I would go about deciphering the consumption?
JPK QNAP TS-220 Hardware Info.png
JPK QNAP TS-220 Folder Info.png
Thanks, in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Mystery data taking up storage space?

Post by dolbyman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:42 am

login via SSH and do

Code: Select all

df -h
see where the space is used

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:43 am

Did you refresh each of your shared folder usages manually? If not, they may be out-of-date.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

jpkellogg
Starting out

Post by jpkellogg » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 am

Thanks, dolbyman and OneCD. It seems like the refresh is happening automatically (in part because I don't see an option for a refresh) but that said, it seems to be working because when I uploaded ~100 Gb of photos to the server today, it updated the available space accordingly. When I went in through SSH, as suggested, I got:
qnap df allocation.png
However, when I try to use: du -sh /dev/md0 to figure out what's using space in that folder, I get just 0.

I'm barely a novice Linux user, but I can follow instructions. Sadly many of the example code here (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-che ... e-command/) don't seem to work in the way I feel like they should. Could you help me figure out what else I should be using to investigate?

Thanks, in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 am

jpkellogg wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 am
It seems like the refresh is happening automatically (in part because I don't see an option for a refresh)
Correct. This size refresh happens automatically once-per-day (default schedule is 3am local-time).

But you can manually force a refresh too. Click on each of the green arrow-pairs to the right of your shared folders:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:18 am

navigate to the mount

/share/MD0_DATA

that should contain all your share data..maybe a deleted share where the data is left ?

jpkellogg
Starting out

Post by jpkellogg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:32 pm

I've been continuing to see if I can hunt down the offending folder/files, but am still being thwarted. Even if I'm logged in as admin, it seems that I can't identify where the extra space is being hogged. Is there another command that I should be using that will help me find some hidden space?
server space allocation 17Nov19.png
This thread (viewtopic.php?t=103195) suggests that perhaps there are automatically generated files perhaps created by PhotoStation, but even if they are autogenerated, why can't I identify the folder within /Share/MD0_DATA that is the offending area that is taking up the excess space. I have had PhotoStation installed (though never really set up), but I have now uninstalled it.

Any ideas of how I might be able to lift the veil?

Thanks, in advance.

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Nothing in recycle bin?
What does "ls -a" show?

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 pm

jpkellogg wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Is there another command that I should be using that will help me find some hidden space?
There's more than just the paths you've identified that use space. There's a bunch of hidden QTS paths in there too. ;)

Try this one:

Code: Select all

du -sh /share/MD0_DATA/

jpkellogg
Starting out

Post by jpkellogg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 am

@Storageman, you rock! "ls -a" was the key to finding out where my space was being ** up. It revealed a bunch of hidden folders that I was then able to go through with "du -sh" to identify the culprit to identify that there was an old TimeMachine archive from a no longer used machine taking up over 500 GB and that version control was ** up another 300 GB. With those pieces now identified and removed (using "rm" for those who are like me and don't know Linux) accordingly, my NAS should last me another year or two. Hooray!

Thanks giving this Linux newbie a helping hand!

If you find yourself in a similar situation, the key things that I needed to do were:
Get "Putty" to SSH into my NAS
"df -h" to show the main folder allocation
"cd" to get into the offending folder
"ls -a" to list all hidden folders
"du -sh" to get directory size properties
"rm -r" to delete directories

If you're new to Linux, there are many help pages out there with examples of how to use each of the two letter commands that I list above.

Much appreciated, as always, forum!

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:45 pm

jpkellogg wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 am
@Storageman, you rock! "ls -a" was the key to finding out where my space was being ** up. It revealed a bunch of hidden folders that I was then able to go through with "du -sh" to identify the culprit to identify that there was an old TimeMachine archive from a no longer used machine taking up over 500 GB and that version control was ** up another 300 GB. With those pieces now identified and removed (using "rm" for those who are like me and don't know Linux) accordingly, my NAS should last me another year or two. Hooray!

Thanks giving this Linux newbie a helping hand!

If you find yourself in a similar situation, the key things that I needed to do were:
Get "Putty" to SSH into my NAS
"df -h" to show the main folder allocation
"cd" to get into the offending folder
"ls -a" to list all hidden folders
"du -sh" to get directory size properties
"rm -r" to delete directories

If you're new to Linux, there are many help pages out there with examples of how to use each of the two letter commands that I list above.

Much appreciated, as always, forum!
Glad you sorted!
Will tell the wife at least I'm appreciated here!!!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”