HBS3 CIFS/SMB to NAS Sync issue

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
computerdoctorpo
New here

HBS3 CIFS/SMB to NAS Sync issue

Post by computerdoctorpo »

I noticed that after upgrading to HBS 3.0191115 some important monodirectional syncronization options are ghost and I can't no more activate them!!

I.E. I really NEED to exclude symbolic links or I get tons of errors on every sync process, this option seems to be now activable only in the backup processes and not in the synchronization processes, why??
P3R
Guru

Re: HBS3 CIFS/SMB to NAS Sync issue

Post by P3R »

Both the issues and question will probably be much better handled by Qnap than this community could do so please contact Qnap support.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
computerdoctorpo
New here

P3R,

I opened a ticket in fact, but I would like to know if it's just my case or these options are ghosts for everyone with HBS3
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I don't understand what "ghosts" are but my old (made with a previous HBS version long ago) Sync jobs all work with the HBS version you mention.

I also haven't seen many reports (that would be the case if there was a bug that affected many users) about anything similar so I would say that it's probably something specific for the combination used in your NAS.

The only time I remember with jobs not working was that 1 out of 2 versioned backup jobs didn't work after my update from HBS 2 to HBS 3.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
computerdoctorpo
New here

Ghost = not selectable, uncheckable. Try to set up a CIFS/SMB to QNAP Syncronization and see if you can select "exclude symbolic links" or "exclude duplicates" options...
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

computerdoctorpo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 am Ghost = not selectable, uncheckable. Try to set up a CIFS/SMB to QNAP Syncronization and see if you can select "exclude symbolic links" or "exclude duplicates" options...
Even more confusing. So now when you say "not selectable, uncheckable" are you talking about the jobs themselves or some policies within the jobs?

I know that the selectable policies within the configuration are limited but the jobs can still run for me and the impression I've been getting so far here was that your jobs couldn't run at all... :S

Also, the name "Exclude duplicates" is very bad and I guess that you misunderstand the effect of it. The default behaviour by HBS is to always only sync changed or new files. What this option does is to not only compare name, date/time and size of already existing files but to also make a complete byte-by-byte comparison of the complete contents of the file, which is extremely time consuming with a larger data set as all data need to be transferred on every sync. Only very, very few people ever want to use that option at all.

computerdoctorpo
New here

Sorry for my English, I talk about some policies/options within the jobs. My jobs can still run, but I get many syncronization errors because these policies/options are no more available. They where available/chechkable in HBS2 active sync jobs and now they're not, understand?

I don't need to exclude duplicates, it was an example! As I wrote I need the "Exclude symbolic links" policy/option (and some else), but now it's unflaggable/not checkable/not selectable and I see it in LIGHT GREY, not in black (and this is called "a ghost" by an ancient developer as me => a grey option, visibile but not selectable/deselectable and locked) :)

Summing up: some Active Syncronization policies of HBS2 are now visible but not flaggable/available in HBS3, and the question is: "am I the only one with this issue or not?"
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

computerdoctorpo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:12 pm Summing up: some Active Syncronization policies of HBS2 are now visible but not flaggable/available in HBS3, and the question is: "am I the only one with this issue or not?"
No, you're not. I'm convinced that everyone see the same thing as it seem to have been changed.

Please report to Qnap support that it's a problem for you. Only Qnap can change it.

computerdoctorpo
New here

Many thanks P3R
bjiggler
Starting out

Post by bjiggler »

A bit of a longshot but did you get this resolved as i have the same issue
bjiggler
Starting out

Post by bjiggler »

To answer my own question, I found a workaround for this, its not ideal but it does work, ensure you stop the Hybrid Backup application before doing this and backup the file you are about to modify!.

You need to edit the following file in something like sqlitebrowser:

Code: Select all

/etc/config/cloudconnector/CloudConnector3/config.db
Open up that database file with sqlitebrowser and click on the Browse Data tab and select the Table called jobs, click on the relevant job value field and add this in.

"filter.size.min": null,
  "filter.symlink": true,   # THIS IS THE LINE TO ADD, others are just to show you where about to insert the line
  "filter.system_temp_files": true,
Click Apply below the JSON screen and then from the toolbar click on Write Changes and then close the application.

Copy the file back to the QNAP and then start the Hybrid backup application up and edit the job and you should see ignore symlinks now checked - you can also check the next time the job runs in the log which is located here:

/etc/qsync/logs
It will look something like:

[2020/07/02 14:19:38] Symblic link files are excluded.
Job done - hope it helps someone!
JoBrCoGB
Getting the hang of things

Post by JoBrCoGB »

P3R wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 pm I don't understand what "ghosts" are but my old (made with a previous HBS version long ago) Sync jobs all work with the HBS version you mention.

I also haven't seen many reports (that would be the case if there was a bug that affected many users) about anything similar so I would say that it's probably something specific for the combination used in your NAS.

The only time I remember with jobs not working was that 1 out of 2 versioned backup jobs didn't work after my update from HBS 2 to HBS 3.
He meant "Ghosted" which is synonymous with "Greyed out". Both go way back to the day's of Windows 3.1. It simply means that an option is currently not selectable for any variety of reasons. Many GUI's show them with the font in grey instead of it's normal color, hence greyed out or ghosted.

The term, like many, has seemed to have fallen out of favor. It's funny how that seems to happen. I mean who would have thought that "program's" would one day turn into "apps," short for "applications," when in fact originally, "applications" were a particular type of program.

Fickle humans!!! So is it advisable to rely upon history books? Really?

Food for thought.
NAS: TS-563 RAM: 16GB
QTS: v4.5.2.1566 build 20210202
HD's: (so far) 8TB x4; RAID5
BU: Mint18.3 Xfce SMB Server (8TB x4; RAID5); 64bit
WS: Dual boot Win7 SP1/Mint18.3 Cinnamon; 64bit
STV: TCL 55P605; Sony XBR-65X900E

-----------------------------------------------
The relativity of our experiences, so the differences between us.
'I only know that I know nothing.' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods!
robbie303
Starting out

Post by robbie303 »

I edited the config.db file, changed all the items with "filter.symlink" to be true....
But the exclude symbolic links box in the job policy still continued to stay grayed out.
I use HBS3 Version 14.0.1215
robbie303
Starting out

Post by robbie303 »

Nobody?
Nobody using HBS3 to pull the content of a root disk to the NAS?
Nobody knows why "Exclude symbolic links" is grayed out?
Nobody knows how to enable to exclude symbolic links?
Nobody from QNAP support reading this forum?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

robbie303 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am Nobody?
Yes, that's a possibility. You're not being ignored - it may be as simple as: no-one knows the answer. ;)
robbie303 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am Nobody using HBS3 to pull the content of a root disk to the NAS?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've not done this.
robbie303 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am Nobody knows why "Exclude symbolic links" is grayed out?
Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't know the answer.
robbie303 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am Nobody knows how to enable to exclude symbolic links?
As-above ...
robbie303 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am Nobody from QNAP support reading this forum?
Some do on a casual volunteer basis, but they rarely respond. The community forum shouldn't be considered a QNAP support channel. If you require answers from QNAP, please create a support ticket with their help-desk.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Backup & Restore”