Share access without a password

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
markn62
New here

Share access without a password

Post by markn62 »

When I try to access a TS-251's public folder or a share folder I set permissions to "only" everyone, as suggested on another post on this site a WinXp laptop still asks for a username/password. I'm trying to get a "local system" service to be able to read/write to either of these Nas folders but no go. My test is to see if WinXp will allow me to login without a user/pw and it doesn't. What gives?
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Share access without a password

Post by storageman »

What does Guest say on the share permissions?
markn62
New here

Post by markn62 »

The share folder is set to allow everyone and deny guest.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you access as guest, allow guest
markn62
New here

Post by markn62 »

I'm not accessing as Guest, I'm accessing from a WinXp user account. For grins I left qNap shared folder access to everyone and also changed guest to Allow. My laptop still wants a username & password.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no user password means Guest access (thread title) , unless you are talking about to grant your logged in windows user access , then you need to add the local windows user to the NAS
markn62
New here

Post by markn62 »

I'm trying to run a Win10 service as "Local System". The service needs r/w access to a Nas share folder. To get this I have to go thru a lot of shuffling of domain users to set the service as other than "Local System". My alternative, which is what I'm pursuing, is to leave the service as "Local System" and set the Nas share folder to NOT request a user/pw. What share settings are needed for the Nas to not require user/pw authentication. This is my exact question. My test that it's not requesting it is my laptop because it takes 10 minutes every test to see if the service is being allowed to the share. Does this clarify my question?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if the service is running as a local system account: grant the local system access by adding the credentials to the NAS users
if you want NAS access without a password prompt, you would have to play around with guest access
see this info regarding Guest access for WIndows10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... indows-ser
markn62
New here

Post by markn62 »

I can only run the service logon as Local System or as This Account. I tried This Account and used the Nas share folders user/pw. That did not work for a whole host of possibilities that are too difficult for this discussion. The programmer of the service replied that I need the Nas to not request user/pw. The link you referenced does not talk about this. If anyone knows how to set a Nas share to not require a user/pw it would be helpful. Setting no permissions except only "Everyone" doesn't work. Any ideas what does work? I need transparent access.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well.. check what firmware you have on the NAS, as a little while back, there was a guest access issue

viewtopic.php?f=185&t=149124

the Microsoft link says that for security reasons, the default SMB client has guest usage disabled by default and how to enable it again (depending on your windows 10 version) , I don't use guest access so I can't test it
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

alternative .. you could try and NFS share mount instead of SMB
https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/
markn62
New here

Post by markn62 »

Using 4.3.6.1070 build 20190919. Just upgraded to 4.4.1.1117 build 20191109. Laptop still prompts for a user/pw when I try to access a qNap share with "everyone" permission.
markn62
New here

Post by markn62 »

FINALLY!!! I should have known not to fight MS authentication, they always win. Still can't get a transparent share in qNap. Making the share user/pw exactly as the client box accessing the share it works. Now I have another hours work changing passwords and scripts to this share in other devices. This Nas drive isn't very flexible, I'll say that.

Return to “File Sharing”