TS-453 Pro dead motherboard

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: TS-453 Pro dead motherboard

Post by Toxic17 »

I have a dead TS-453BT3 here too. the list just gets bigger.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
ztxabc
New here

Post by ztxabc »

brentm wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 am Add another QNAP TS-453 mini to the list. It was working fine on UPS power until a reboot prior to performing the latest firmware upgrade. After the reboot, no HDMI output, no beep, only a blue light, orange for ethernet (No DHCP address being assigned), and 4 red HD lights. Pulling out all drives and memory, and attempting to reset it leaves it dead as can be. The new power supply for the new NAS didn't help. No beeps and no indication of life other than lights. I ended up purchasing a new 451+ to replace it and HD's are fine but just found it odd that this thing died like it did.

-Brent
My 451+ got the same problem.
brentm
Starting out

Post by brentm »

ztxabc wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:22 pm
brentm wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 am Add another QNAP TS-453 mini to the list. It was working fine on UPS power until a reboot prior to performing the latest firmware upgrade. After the reboot, no HDMI output, no beep, only a blue light, orange for ethernet (No DHCP address being assigned), and 4 red HD lights. Pulling out all drives and memory, and attempting to reset it leaves it dead as can be. The new power supply for the new NAS didn't help. No beeps and no indication of life other than lights. I ended up purchasing a new 451+ to replace it and HD's are fine but just found it odd that this thing died like it did.

-Brent
My 451+ got the same problem.
What are the odds?! Kill switch folks into upgrading? Buggy FW push? The 451+ is working fine for me now and I love the software/features but it's hard to not question the longevity of their product considering how well maintained mine was with relatively very little use.
lhermsen
New here

Post by lhermsen »

Same here at our company. About 10 453U's in the past 4 months.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Add my TS-453Mini to the list as well !!
Slightly different story though. Mine still boots as it is supposed to, but I've lost power on slot 1. I removed all 4 disks and inserted a brand new WD RED 3Tb in slot 1 and the machine boots, but says no disk is available. I can hear that the disk motor does not spin up to speed. There is no power. All the other slots are still fine.
I contacted QNAP service, but their offer to replace the mobo would cost me almost as much as a new unit, so I bought a TS-453Be instead. I'm trying to forget my belowed Mini that I've had for so many years. :-(
ImageImageImage
nas_bob
Starting out

Post by nas_bob »

And my TS-453 Pro has now died with the same symptoms as the OP. Nothing will generate a beep, and nothing every shows on HDMI :-(

I can glean these details from the MB:
686 AMIBIOS MJ81 4364
QW37 Rev:1.7

And from the DOM:
PN: IUMDI-512MFHS

Anyone had any new thoughts of testing these MB to try and find the issue?
PigNib
New here

Post by PigNib »

Add me to the list.

Hardware error one month after firmware update... now no post, no video on hdmi, only orange link on network, fan does spin... coincidence...?

It's weird there is no post but is it possible the post isn't happening b/c the fan is wonky and the system is not happy with the fan and refuses to boot?
Any info on how to troubleshoot the fan between leads (ohms) or what replacement fan would work as a test?
Tried all the other tricks.. removing drives, diff known good PS, clean memory, swap memory with original memory (upgraded years ago), etc.

I was *just* thinking about how nice it would be to get a new NAS but can't justify it as I may be getting laid off on Jan 1.

[Info][QNAP45] Firmware Update
NAS Name: QNAP45
Severity: Info
Date/Time: 2019/11/17 11:44:00
App Name: Firmware Update
Category: Firmware Update
Message: [Firmware Update] Updated system from version 4.3.6.0923(20190425) to 4.4.1.1117(20191109).

[Error][QNAP45] Hardware Status
NAS Name: QNAP45
Severity: Error
Date/Time: 2019/12/17 18:31:34
App Name: Hardware Status
Category: Fans
testure
New here

Post by testure »

Not trying to highjack the thread but add me to the list. TS-451 just died.

Got an alert below. By time I got to check the device it was not responding. Hard booted it and nothing. Pulled all the drives only get blue led on network and red on HDD. No post, no display, no beeps.

App Name: Hardware Status
Category: Fans
PigNib
New here

Post by PigNib »

PigNib wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:22 am It's weird there is no post but is it possible the post isn't happening b/c the fan is wonky and the system is not happy with the fan and refuses to boot?
New fan did not fix the problem. Also replaced battery as a hail-mary but no help there either.

Off to build a unraid server from a j5005-itx board.
Cheaper, more powerful, and in the future i can replace a motherboard for $100 for a updated one with data-in-place.
Also won't lock me in to using QNAP to recover my encrypted array.

If QNAP would actually respond to this thread (or any of the other threads for other models having this same symptom) or offer some sort of _reasonable_ motherboard replacement option I'd stick with them but they obviously do not care about supporting hardware for their out of warranty products.

I suppose if you can afford to replace the hardware every four or five years they are great.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap will not respond to these threads..as they dont read this forum

you need to open a ticket with them for contact
nebti5
New here

Post by nebti5 »

Another dead TS-453 Pro here with exactly the same symptoms. Fan error reported by email notification. Restarted automatically. Then nothing more than a "System Rebooting" message and fans running. No beeps and no output. Qnap support said no luck, not even repairable because no replacement parts available.

No expert here, but I think there must be an issue with these models. Bought in April 2015. Dead in May 2020. The unit got minimal use and was left off for a year several years ago. The outside and interior looked like new with no scorch marks on the back of the motherboard. Over the years it would occasionally hang at rebooting and at first I suspected this was the same issue.

Five years and dead is bad. I've never had any computer do that before. Usually they last long after they're obsolete....
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

QNAP may never read this forum, but we (their customers - do!).
But perhaps that's not so important?
ImageImageImage
escan2
First post

Post by escan2 »

My TS-253 Pro has the same problem. I read that the CPU is to blame.
I removed the heat sink and heated the CPU with a hot air dryer. After a few tries, the NAS started again.
But it doesn't last forever. The next day, the device was frozen again and after a restart, it didn't boot.
Then again treated with heat the CPU and it runs again
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

If you think that the CPU solder pads need to be reflowed, it takes quit a bit more heat than a hair blower can provide.
You need to have a special solder blower that can yield at least 350 degrees celcius.
Also, you should apply a significant amount of solder paste around the 4 edges of the chip before heating it up.
I have had some luck doing this myself on ball grid soldered chips. I may work.
ImageImageImage
coriscow
New here

Post by coriscow »

-Brent
Exactly the same problem with my TS-453B as Brent had. In my case however there were no firmware update whatsoever. I just powered the thing off manually to avoid my nephews being bothered by the fan's sound during a night stay. The day after there were no signs of life rather than this "System booting... >>>>>" message. From What I have read and tried, I am pretty sure is a failure in the motherboard.

Bought it in 2017 and the warranty expired in April 2019. The official answer from Qnap support? 360 USD (estimated) for the repair and they recommendation that I should consider buying a new unit. This is just unbelievable!!! A device that is intended to be running for long periods of time shall never ever last for only 3 years of rather light work. We pay the price of a mid-end PC for a device that has fairly poor specs. But that's the deal, we accept it because it has other features and advantages. But they should at least care to produce a high quality device that is gonna last for a reasonable 7-10 years.

They even recommend you buying a new unit. The TS-453B is for sale, and it is gonna be for quite some years more. So, should I buy the same ** device that just broke out of the blue? Is that really a suitable recommendation? Simply unbelievable!!! And the thing is that I understand that recommendation level 1 RMA costs 270USD, level 2 360 USD and level 3 450USD. These repair prices are unreasonably high as well.

QNAP, if you are reading this, you got a client the moment I opted to buy one of your devices. Make a happy customer out of me in this situations if you want me to keep being your customer and recommending your products. And that is done by designing quality products, good support and fair repair prices. As of this moment you have just lost a client and I will make sure that my firneds and relatives know of this story before buying any of your products.

Return to “Miscellaneous”