QTS 4.3 TS-453A Thumbnail Generation failed

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Darthajack
Starting out

Re: QTS 4.3 TS43A Thumbnail Generation failed

Post by Darthajack »

Same problem here, TS-231P, QTS 4.4.1 1081. Failed to generate thumbnails on .MOV files (iPhone movies, original format). I does generate thumbnail when I upload as .M4V but then in Photo Station it doesn't have the right "date taken" date, which is set to time of transfer/upload.
Sent a ticket, but so far I find QNAP isn't very responsive, and when they are, they are usually dismissive.
I will report back if I have a positive answer. But either way, I'm thinking my next NAS, and recommendations to people, will be toward Synology who have products that work better and mostly have much better customer support. QNAP is a MESS.
geniuscao
First post

Post by geniuscao »

I am getting the same error. I think it is because HEVC support has been removed in latest codexpack 4.7.0.1 that's why it fails to generate thumbnail for iphone video taken in HEVC format

https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... =CodexPack
CodexPack 4.7.0.1
( 2019/08/21 )
[Removed Features]
Ended support for High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC; H.265).
Darthajack
Starting out

Post by Darthajack »

HEVC for video is on by default since iPhone 8, and available on iPhone 7 and up on iOS 11 and up. It's been available for YEARS. I've asked multiple times when will QNAP fix it? I'm not getting any answer.

In the meantime, their marketing is giving unsuspecting potential buyers this trumpery:

“QNAP NAS brings full compatibility to your iOS devices.”
IMG_6862.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darthajack
Starting out

Post by Darthajack »

Here is an update. I have been told repeatedly that QNAP does not support HEVC (the original MOV format in iPhones). QNAP has not given any date as to when they will provide support for it (should support it by now, it's been on every new iPhone for a few years already). But I found when this happens and a potential workaround.

After doing tests, as far as I could see, there are only a few cases when movies from iPhone are sent the QNAP in HEVC format. This includes when you transfer the original files directly through USB plugged into the NAS, or through the network, or are in QFile on the iPhone and choose upload, and select a movie in the camera roll. Those are sent in original, unconverted format, which QNAP doesn't support and for which it can't generate thumbnails.

However whenever you send movies from the camera roll to other apps (the "share" arrow), the HEVC is converted to H.264. QNAP CAN read those and generate thumbnails. For example in your phone's camera roll, you "send" to Qfile, or send to email, or some other app or protocol. Even if the movie is HVEC, it is converted to H.264 on the fly. I believe movie files from iPhone that were imported to the MacOS Photos app will also convert to H.264 when exported using the "export" function.

So until QNAP supports the original unmodified HVEC format, if you want them to generate thumbnails and show up in Photo Station, you have to choose a method that converts them.

REMAINING DATE/TIME ISSUE. Even if QNAP generates thumbnails iPhone H.264 MOV files, there is still a problem remaining. The "Date created" is set to the time the photo was converted or uploaded. And in Photo Station, the videos will not appear in the correct date/time order. The real date/time created information is inside the file, it's just QNAP doesn't read the correct information. The real date/time the video was taken is in "com.apple.quicktime.creationdate". They need to read that. I have reported it in multiple ticket threads.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

any ideas why hevc support was removed?

i've been getting failed thumbnail generation, and i only found out why from this thread. at the time helpdesk didn't explain this to me :/

unfortunately a lot of my media is hevc....
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
janikjan
First post

Post by janikjan »

Hi, I think I have a solution for thumbnail generation from HEVC videos :).

Inspiration was taken from this thread https://forum1.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p ... 6f3cc17d3c

1) So, please download and install the latest version of ffmpeg. I used version from qnapclub.eu https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/379

2) Make a backup of old ffmpeg

mv /usr/bin/ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg.bak
mv /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg.bak

3) Create a Symlink to the new ffmpeg

ln -s /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg
ln -s /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg
--------------------

After a CodexPack or system update, probably we have to make the changes again.

To revert back, you only need to move again the original files:

mv /usr/bin/ffmpeg.bak /usr/bin/ffmpeg
mv /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg.bak /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg

--------------------

Maybe you will have another path for your CACHEDEV1_DATA, like me I have CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA. So before you will do anything please use correct paths.
Nobo
Getting the hang of things

Post by Nobo »

janikjan,

It's great work! Thanks, this solves the problem!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

janikjan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 pm ...
pure genius! ty so much :D
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
arneywang
First post

Post by arneywang »

It's a great idea! I am trying to follow your instruction but couldn't find the suitable ffmpeg version for TS231P2, which is with ARM CPU. Could anybody help? Thanks a lot!
janikjan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 pm Hi, I think I have a solution for thumbnail generation from HEVC videos :).

Inspiration was taken from this thread https://forum1.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p ... 6f3cc17d3c

1) So, please download and install the latest version of ffmpeg. I used version from qnapclub.eu https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/379

mv /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg.bak

ln -s /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg
--------------------

mv /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg.bak /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg

--------------------

Maybe you will have another path for your CACHEDEV1_DATA, like me I have CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA. So before you will do anything please use correct paths.
Mau Brd
First post

Post by Mau Brd »

Thanks to all for the very interesting contributions in this thread, highly informative.
I understood here that I was not alone in experiencing failure of HVEC MOV Thumbnail creation for iPhone8 movies.
I never had any problems with previous iPhones, why?

iPhone8 and all newer models adopt the new HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) H265, instead of the previous H264, and surprisingly QNAP is not supporting any more H265, as well explained in previous posts here.

I just wanted to share the rudimentary solution I eventually adopted in my configuration that is: loading photos to my NAS from an iPhone8.

I bypassed the problem by setting my iPhone to use the old H264 standard, at least for the time being.
Go to your iPhone Settings > Camera > Formats and then chose the "More Compatible" option.
This way, normal videos will be H264 by default, with no Thumbnail creation problems, once uploaded in NAS.

It is super simple, but at least works.

I hope that a high quality NAS as QNAP is, will fix this soon, and reintroduce H265 support.
Kind Regards,

Mau

TS-453B 8GB 16TB
Qphoto, Qfile
bsheets
First post

Post by bsheets »

janikjan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 pm Hi, I think I have a solution for thumbnail generation from HEVC videos :).

--------------------

--------------------

This completely works. I did this on my TS-453Be after modifying the paths a bit. My commands looked like;
mv /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg.bak
ln -s /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg
ln -s /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/opt/cdx/bin/ffmpeg

Now my smart TV's DLNA shows thumbnails for all my H.265 encoded files properly.
Thank you for this post. :)
Calon
First post

Post by Calon »

So which one these packages should I be using if I have the TS-243A.
There are the choice sof:
  • ts-arm-x19
  • ts-x32u
  • ts-x41
  • ts-nasx86
  • ts-x31
  • ts-nasx86_64
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
Calon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:24 pm So which one these packages should I be using if I have the TS-243A.
TS-243A? Never heard of it. Can you please check the model again?

If you have a TS-253A, then use x86-64 packages.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
psyray
New here

Re: QTS 4.3 TS-453A Thumbnail Generation failed

Post by psyray »

@janikjan Thanks for the tip, anyway it was not working for me while I want to regenerate missing thumbnail and when uploading MOV file.
Because there is also an ffmpeg file in the /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/ folder, and it was the one that is used to generate thumbnail for me.

So I try this, and it works well

Code: Select all

mv /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/ffmpeg /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/ffmpeg.bak
ln -s /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/ffmpeg
/usr/local/medialibrary/bin/video_gen_thumbnail <path_to_your_MOV_file>
Thumbnail came instantly in the Qfile folder, and now I was able to see my video in QPhoto.

So if your want to regenerate all MOV thumbnail in one line try this from the target folder base.
Delete Recycle bin from Qnap folder first

find ~+ -type f -iname "*.mov" -not -path "*__thumb*" -exec /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/video_gen_thumbnail {} \;
Or you can simply browse in the folder with missing icon from Qfile

If you want to have a progress check the log file

tail -f /var/log/mymedia_cli.log
201204 13:52:02 [main.cpp:168] (video_gen_thumbnail) (/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/user/mymovfile.mov) => 0
0 mean regeneration is OK, 16 is failed
KarlEngel
First post

Re: QTS 4.3 TS-453A Thumbnail Generation failed

Post by KarlEngel »

Hello,

I tried @psyray solution but didn't work for me. I had to install the free edition of Cayin MediaSign Player and then replace its crippled ffmpeg version.

mv /usr/local/cayin/bin/ffmpeg /usr/local/cayin/bin/ffmpeg.bak
ln -s /share/CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /usr/local/cayin/bin/ffmpeg
Thumbnails are being generated again in FileStation 5.5.1 / QTS 4.5.1.1495 for videos taken from my iPhone.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”