Memory Upgrade on TS 251A

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
Ericnepean
Know my way around

Re: Memory Upgrade on TS 251A

Post by Ericnepean »

I have seen other comments that Crucial RAM is sometimes causing a problem.
I have 8GB Kingston RAM in my TS251A, with the same drives and SW as you, no issues.
Eric in Ottawa, Canada
TS-251A with 2x 6TB Seagate IronWolf in RAID 1
TR-004 with 4x 4TB HGST in RAID 5
DS923+ with 4x10GB WD Red in RAID 5
trevor63
New here

Post by trevor63 »

Ericnepean wrote:I have seen other comments that Crucial RAM is sometimes causing a problem.
I have 8GB Kingston RAM in my TS251A, with the same drives and SW as you, no issues.
Dang, that **.. I have a bunch of extra Crucial ram already that I could use and I'd hate to have to go buy a different brand. thanks!
newusernas
Starting out

Post by newusernas »

Ericnepean wrote:I have seen other comments that Crucial RAM is sometimes causing a problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technol ... B00CQ35GYE

Is this the right one?
hurtauda
Starting out

Post by hurtauda »

Hello,

Any news on these ones ?
I tried today to upgrade the RAM of my TS251A with 2x4Gb from crucial : CT2KIT51264BF160B
And it does not work for me neither... The FAN is turning but no lights come up and the NAS won’t start.

Maybe I will try to exchange theses RAMs with the Kingston but I would like to be sure I will be picking the right ones now ...

Regards,
hurtauda
katalyst
First post

Post by katalyst »

Same thing is happening to me right now. Just put in a 2X 4GB Crucial kit and same results. Fan goes, hard drives spin but will not boot and no lights will come on in the front. I wish I had known about this thread before I ordered.....
carlosmpino
First post

Post by carlosmpino »

ratko wrote:Hi,

I have finaly bought the Kingston KVR16LS11/8 (2 Modules with 8GB each).
They work like a charm! ;-) Great RAM for a cool price!

Regards
Ratko
Hello,

In this thread, Kingston KVR16LS11 works for you and another guy, but not for me :( I have TS-251a and I bought 2 modules 4Gb each KVR16LS11/4. Once installed, hd and fan spins, but no single light or bip happens, NAS don't turn on. I tried 1 module alone and both toghether, but same behaviour. Back to original ram (2x 1gb) turns on perfectly.

It is something I can do? I can't understand, I read here and other forums people with this NAS and this memory working perfectly at the very first installation, how can be this???
javiblf
New here

Post by javiblf »

rjcamacho wrote:Hi all from Spain

This is my first post here, don't be bad with my level of english plz!

My experience. I bought this Crucial memory for my model TS251A
CT2KIT102464BF160B

Crucial Brand
Item model number CT2KIT102464BF160B
Series 16GB Kit (8GBx2) PC3-12800
Form Factor 204-pin SO-DIMM
RAM Size 16 GB
Memory Technology 204-pin SO-DIMM, DDR3
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Voltage 1.35 volts

Crucial 16 GB Kit (8 GB x 2) DDR3L 1600 MT / s (PC3L-12800) SODIMM 204-Pin Memory.

Https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

It does not work. The NAS turns on but resets all the time, no light goes on either. If I put the memory back, everything is going well. If I put a single module of 8 GB either. I tested the memory in a laptop and it goes great.

Wow :(
Hola conseguiste solucionar el problema? voy a ponerme 8GB en el mismo NAS y antes quería saber si te funciono con la memoria crucial. Gracias
javiblf
New here

Post by javiblf »

carlosmpino wrote:
ratko wrote:Hi,

I have finaly bought the Kingston KVR16LS11/8 (2 Modules with 8GB each).
They work like a charm! ;-) Great RAM for a cool price!

Regards
Ratko
Hello,

In this thread, Kingston KVR16LS11 works for you and another guy, but not for me :( I have TS-251a and I bought 2 modules 4Gb each KVR16LS11/4. Once installed, hd and fan spins, but no single light or bip happens, NAS don't turn on. I tried 1 module alone and both toghether, but same behaviour. Back to original ram (2x 1gb) turns on perfectly.

It is something I can do? I can't understand, I read here and other forums people with this NAS and this memory working perfectly at the very first installation, how can be this???
hola te función la memoria KVR16LS11? es una de la memorias que tenia en mente poner en mi NAS TS-251A gracias!!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

English only forum ! Sorry
Drac1699
First post

Post by Drac1699 »

hurtauda wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 am Hello,

Any news on these ones ?
I tried today to upgrade the RAM of my TS251A with 2x4Gb from crucial : CT2KIT51264BF160B
And it does not work for me neither... The FAN is turning but no lights come up and the NAS won’t start.

Maybe I will try to exchange theses RAMs with the Kingston but I would like to be sure I will be picking the right ones now ...

Regards,
hurtauda
Hi there, first post but have used this forum since i got my TS-251A last year. Upgraded to 8GB ram using the Crucial kit noted above with no issues so far. Going to attempt to run two RLC-420-5MP Reolink IP cams.

Thought I would share my initial success.

Regards,
C
davidbursik
New here

Post by davidbursik »

I bought SO-DIMM DDR3L KIT HyperX IMPACT 2x8GB 16GB KIT (HX316LS9IBK2/16).
Works well, no problem.
TS-251A, QTS 4.4.1.1031

Have a nice day.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

I've just bought one module of the kingston KVR16LS11/4. I'll let you know how it works.
I don't think I'm gonna need more than 4GB (I don't have any VM). However, I'm thinking about keeping one of the original ADATA 1GB RAM module, so I'll have 5GB RAM total. Am I crazy? Should I only use the exact same modules (or at lease, the same size)?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

it might work, it might not

my TVS-951X has a 2GB and 8GB module in it .. works like a charm (10GB)

no matter what you do , always keep your original RAM (if not in the NAS then at least in a safe place) otherwise QNAP will refuse support with 3rd party RAM
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 am it might work, it might not

my TVS-951X has a 2GB and 8GB module in it .. works like a charm (10GB)

no matter what you do , always keep your original RAM (if not in the NAS then at least in a safe place) otherwise QNAP will refuse support with 3rd party RAM
Got it. I guessed that. I have the original RAM labeled as QNAP ram safely stored away.
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

gatus wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:28 am I've just bought one module of the kingston KVR16LS11/4. I'll let you know how it works.
I don't think I'm gonna need more than 4GB (I don't have any VM). However, I'm thinking about keeping one of the original ADATA 1GB RAM module, so I'll have 5GB RAM total. Am I crazy? Should I only use the exact same modules (or at lease, the same size)?
KVR16LS11/4 works like a charm BY IT SELF. I've tried to put the two modules (the new one and one of the original ones) and the NAS doesn't start up. Fan and HDD starts, but no LEDs and NAS is not accessible. I had to remove the 1GB module in order for it to work.
I've only tried to put the new 4GB module in the slot closer to the board (you need to remove the other ram module to access it) and the original 1GB in the slot further to the board (the first one to have access to). I don't know if the order of the modules is important. Is it?

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”