QuMagie - Store and auto-organize your photos on QNAP NAS

QNAP now provides a groundbreaking AI computing platform based on QNAP NAS called QuAI (pronounced "Q A I" ) - QNAP's AI Developer Package.
Data Mining/Machine Learning/Deep Learning
andersoncheng
Getting the hang of things

QuMagie - Store and auto-organize your photos on QNAP NAS

Post by andersoncheng »

Any one already start to use QuMagie to manage photo ?

QuMagie https://www.qnap.com/solution/qumagie/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQepLi5MQ
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: QuMagie - Store and auto-organize your photos on QNAP NAS

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

well i tried to, but honestly i'm waiting for qts 4.4.1 to be stable first.

i made a mini review in my qts 4.4.1 thread
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=148720&p=727158#p727158

all suggestions and reports i already sent to helpdesk :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Jägerschnitzel
Starting out

Post by Jägerschnitzel »

Yes, I did. While I am fairly happy with QuMagie and the general facial recognition a set of improvements and issues prevail:
Many faces are grouped in small 'who is this' groups even though they all belong to the same person. After adding more faces to a identified person there seems to be no re-analysis if other faces could fit now.
There is no way of correcting a false face tag (i.e. this picture does not contain person x; even better: it is person Y instead)
There is no option to say 'this is NOT a person' or 'do not identify this person'
I am missing plenty of faces (e.g. I am sure I have hundred of pictures of person X --but am getting only a handful identified)
I would love to have an option of 'check the unidentified pictures if you can identify new people'. Unfortunately, the only option I see to run a complete rescan losing all my identified faces and starting over from scratch.

On the things: While I see the landing page with identified things whenever I click on a category I am getting an empty page only saying something like 'system is generating thumbnails' (my system is in German so I am trying to translate). Of course this is wrong as all thumbnails are available.

On the places: No idea based on what information places are identified. All my 100k+ pictures do have GPS data included but QuMagie only identifies 3 places in total -- all from the most recent pictures only. And placed does not even show up in the QuMagie app on Android.

Lastly, I would love to have a few more control options over QUMagie like control of CPU consumption, thresholds (identify as person above certaintly level X) and more detailed reports (e.g. faces found, faces identified, persons identified, things identified, ...)

Of course am more than happy to discuss further with you.
TS-853A and TS-419P+
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm Yes, I did. While I am fairly happy with QuMagie and the general facial recognition a set of improvements and issues prevail:
agreed :)

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm Many faces are grouped in small 'who is this' groups even though they all belong to the same person. After adding more faces to a identified person there seems to be no re-analysis if other faces could fit now.
well i am not privy to exactly how this facial recognition quite works. is it smart enough to use the user corrections to make even better facial recognition based on that? that is the question :'

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm There is no way of correcting a false face tag (i.e. this picture does not contain person x; even better: it is person Y instead)
some correction is indeed possible, but will require user interaction to correct the mistake. some such examples...

1. a picture that is not a person, i edit and flag it as not a person.
2. person grouped in wrong person folder. select the image then add to the correct person tag.

however not all the time does correcting these mistakes works or is possible. some examples of impossible situation

-if a person is not the front cover pic for the tagged person, and the pic has multiple persons in it, then how do you know which person this photo is tagged for. in previous facial tagging app, we had face boxes. in qumagie we no longer have that. you cannot just assume that the photo is tagging for that face, cause i noticed some pics where they incorrectly tag a photo (the face box is not the face, or may not even be the same person even).

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm There is no option to say 'this is NOT a person' or 'do not identify this person'
There is this option. go to the image, click the top right there should be options, click edit. then select the this is not a person. I think at this point it will remove that photo from the people album.

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm I am missing plenty of faces (e.g. I am sure I have hundred of pictures of person X --but am getting only a handful identified)
i noticed this also. but then again most of my pics are anime characters, and not real life people so mine is not the best case scenario for testing "peoples/persons" facial detection. It does detect some, but not necessarily all of them from what i saw. Instead there is the objects folder with sub groups like cartoons.... :( where these kinds of pics are mostly located.

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm I would love to have an option of 'check the unidentified pictures if you can identify new people'. Unfortunately, the only option I see to run a complete rescan losing all my identified faces and starting over from scratch.
i am wondering about this also. you have no idea which pics were not scanned by qumagie, instead you have to start right over from scratch and ASSUME that it has indeed scanned all the pics based on your selection in multimedia console > qumagie media folder locations that you set.

You have no way to filter whether any pics did not yet get scanned by qumagie, and just scan for those only..... seems odd :'

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm On the things: While I see the landing page with identified things whenever I click on a category I am getting an empty page only saying something like 'system is generating thumbnails' (my system is in German so I am trying to translate). Of course this is wrong as all thumbnails are available.
not sure about this :shock:

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm On the places: No idea based on what information places are identified. All my 100k+ pictures do have GPS data included but QuMagie only identifies 3 places in total -- all from the most recent pictures only. And placed does not even show up in the QuMagie app on Android.
hmm :'

Jägerschnitzel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm Lastly, I would love to have a few more control options over QUMagie like control of CPU consumption, thresholds (identify as person above certaintly level X) and more detailed reports (e.g. faces found, faces identified, persons identified, things identified, ...)

Of course am more than happy to discuss further with you.
my thoughts on this is that they should ADD BACK the facial tagging boxes. Because i notice that some pics those facial boxes on the front cover are incorrect. There is no way to adjust that. The only option is to say is "this is not a person". But what if the picture does have a person in it, so the only correction would be to readjust the facial box to cover the persons face. but i don't see any option to do that (you could previously with the old app, but not any longer).

i too am delighted to discuss this since i am also interested in this app. and it's good to exchange thoughts on this subject.

but that said, don't forget to make a formal feature request or bug report to helpdesk so they can fix this issues. i did also.
https://service.qnap.com/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Jägerschnitzel
Starting out

Post by Jägerschnitzel »

some correction is indeed possible, but will require user interaction to correct the mistake. some such examples...

1. a picture that is not a person, i edit and flag it as not a person.
2. person grouped in wrong person folder. select the image then add to the correct person tag.
Unfortunately, I have neither of these options available. There is no 'not a person' option anywhere. And when editing I only get the option to set or remove a regular tag but not a person tag. This no matter whether I am logged in as user or admin.
There is this option. go to the image, click the top right there should be options, click edit. then select the this is not a person. I think at this point it will remove that photo from the people album.
As said, not here. Running a TS-853A with FW 4.4.1.1086 and QuMagie 1.1.1, QuMagie Core 1.0.5: Browser being either Edge Dev or Chrome.
but that said, don't forget to make a formal feature request or bug report to helpdesk so they can fix this issues. i did also.
Will do :)
TS-853A and TS-419P+
Jägerschnitzel
Starting out

Post by Jägerschnitzel »

Have to correct myself -- just now I found the option to correct the person tagging; though admittedly it's very well hidden ;)
In my case I have to open the folder, mark the picture and *then* I can edit. Unfortunately, if I do so I am getting a 'unknown error' :(
TS-853A and TS-419P+
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i got a qumagie ticket open report issue. they want me to remote to help with issue but i cannot... random reboots :(
NAS

Network

Resources
Jägerschnitzel
Starting out

Post by Jägerschnitzel »

too bad! My ticket up now now is untouched :) Will wait and see...
Hope you'll get your random reboots fixed!
TS-853A and TS-419P+
Guapo81
Know my way around

Post by Guapo81 »

I've been playing around with the new QTS and thus Multimedia console, Qumagie and core recently since I updated to the new QTS (4.4.1) and in my opinion it's work in progress.
Just a few issues I'm encountering;

* Scanning for multimedia content I have it set on real time, but somehow not all newly added content is showing in Qumagie, it is in Qphoto somehow (and it looks like it only happens with pictures)
* Manually pressing the button "generate now" in multimedia console content thumbnail generation is doing nothing in my case
* Facial recognition still has the same bugs in my opinion, that it had in the old photo station add-ons, like not being able to change the person recognised; viewtopic.php?f=21&t=116305&p=678570#p678570
* Selecting one picture and trying to change the facial recognition tag results in my case also in the same error; 'unknown error'
* Indexing of geo-tags is not working for existing content, it is showing though for newly added content

Had some other smaller issues as well, but I have to play with it a little bit more and then submit a ticket to qnap.
But anyway, thought I'd share this for now.

B.t.w. In general the new Qumagie, also from the U.I. side looks very nice, but again I think it's "work in progress"
Last edited by Guapo81 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
Jägerschnitzel
Starting out

Post by Jägerschnitzel »

Fun fact: After my (english) ticket eventually got processed by a (german) support resource the response was (translated): "The application is beta which is still being tested. We recommend to wait for the stable version" :roll:
TS-853A and TS-419P+
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

QuMagie 1.1.2
( 2019/10/22 )
[New Features]
- Added a feature to help users find photos containing specific people when browsing albums.
- Added support for multi-zone streaming.
- Added a map mode for tagging photo locations.

QuMagie 1.1.1
( 2019/08/16 )
[New Features]
Added “Places” albums. Photos with GPS information will be added to different Places albums.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... se=qumagie
NAS

Network

Resources
sonofmof
New here

Post by sonofmof »

could QNAP add a "Get Photos from Google" option using the google photos API ?

this would be amazing, would let my phones still sync as normal, and share etc, but still let them be downloaded to my nas and indexed by qumagie.
Jägerschnitzel
Starting out

Post by Jägerschnitzel »

Funny now: The lastest OS upgrade pushed a multimedia console upgrade. Either (or both) of them apparently deleted the whole index, thumbnail and QuMagie databases (incl. *all* my facial recognition tagging done via the GUI). While this is utterly annoying due to the wasted effort I can at least now see if things get better. Indexing (followed by thumbnails and facial and object recognition) is currently running. So will wait until finished (it takes veeeeery long, though) and let you guys know.
I would just want to have the opportunity to create a backup of all these databatase so it does not reoccur in the next upgrade (as said, esp. the manual facial tagging is a lot of effort that should not go wasted again).
TS-853A and TS-419P+
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i noticed that i had an issue with qumagie updating. so i removed it and rebooted, then only would it install back properly.

i had recently just update qts, i wonder if that had something to do with it. not sure why at some point qumagie had issues booting up, that i had to reinstall it to make it work again.
NAS

Network

Resources
gatus
Starting out

Post by gatus »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:22 pm
QuMagie 1.1.2
( 2019/10/22 )
[New Features]
- Added a feature to help users find photos containing specific people when browsing albums.
- Added support for multi-zone streaming.
- Added a map mode for tagging photo locations.

QuMagie 1.1.1
( 2019/08/16 )
[New Features]
Added “Places” albums. Photos with GPS information will be added to different Places albums.
https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... se=qumagie

Does anyone have "map mode" working properly? To me it only displays a map. No photos.
On the other hand, "places" work fine. Photos are grouped in places, with a name (like cities...)

Return to “QuAI”