SSD Installation

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jimanderson3
Starting out

SSD Installation

Post by jimanderson3 »

Hello - just got a TVS-872 and decided to take advantage of the SSD capability. I purchased a Kingston M.2 2280 SA400M8/240G, which LOOKS like it should work, but after installing, it's still showing the SSD slots as empty. Do I have a compatibility issue? Is there a setting needed to turn this on? What am I missing?
Don
Guru

Re: SSD Installation

Post by Don »

TVS-872 has PCIe NVMe slots and the kingston you bought is SATA. Not compatible.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
jimanderson3
Starting out

Post by jimanderson3 »

Damn...sure wish they didn't have the same pin configs so I could have figured that out when mounting it. Don - thanks for your advice. I needed the eduacation.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Check out the Qnap compatibility list.

Not sure what TS-872 you have though so you may have to select another model.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”