Fan Failure -- TS-1635AX

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
landnoise
First post

Fan Failure -- TS-1635AX

Post by landnoise »

The system fan for our QNAP TS-1635AX failed. The system fan 1-3 fans speed is 0 RPM. What type of fan's should I purchase. Where can I purchase the fans.

Thanks,

Landnoise
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Fan Failure -- TS-1635AX

Post by dolbyman »

look at the fan size and pinout .. then check ebay .. aliexpress, or a local retailer

unless you want to go for warranty .. then talk to qnap via ticket
rgarjr
Know my way around

Post by rgarjr »

thats a 92mm by 25mm pwm fan. You can either get OEM (YS Tech) or get a Noctua NF-A9

[TS-1677x] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TS-1277] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-877] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-677] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TVS-472xt] - i7-8700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Enhance Electronics 600W ENP-7660B - [TVS-871u-rp] - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM
packetboss
New here

Post by packetboss »

landnoise wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 am The system fan for our QNAP TS-1635AX failed. The system fan 1-3 fans speed is 0 RPM. What type of fan's should I purchase. Where can I purchase the fans.

Thanks,

Landnoise
Hi Landnoise.

My QNAP TX-1635AX fan module just failed as well, all three fans, all at about 60d of usage... Literally a brand new box and all three fans failed. I am wondering what your experience was... did replacing all three fans actually fix your issue, or is there another component on the mainboard that failed, and the mainboard have to be replaced? Can you share your experience with me please so I know what to expect when QNAP gets back to me on my ticket/case number? I submitted the case, along with screencaps and the diagnostics bundle, then shut down the unit as temps raised... For now, it's offline completely until I hear back from QNAP... If it's just a matter of replacing all three fans for some reason (I'm doubting it, as it seems odd that all three would fail simultaneously so early in life) then I'm fine with just buying new fans as rgarjr and dolbyman have suggested earlier - if, however, it's a mainboard part and I'm going to have to ship this unit back for replacement, I'm gonna be a little more angry at QNAP for having such a critical failure so quickly after initial power-up...

I'd appreciate any feedback or insight you can give me on your experience as you fixed this... I'm just trying to mentally set expectations on how long I'll be without all of my storage...
ZakMcRofl
First post

Post by ZakMcRofl »

How did this case end up getting resolved? Three fans failing at the same time seems quite unlikely.
packetboss
New here

Post by packetboss »

Hi ZacMcRofl - Sorry that I never followed up and posted my experience - thanks for reminding me.

Short answer: it was a fluke (so far) - We're not sure why it occurred or what caused it, but it was the controller, not the fans (based on what I was reading into your question). The controller reported an error, and all three fans were literally powered-down. Upon reboot, they started working properly again and I've not had a problem since. QNAP let me keep my ticket open for a couple of weeks to ensure that it didn't reoccur. We closed the case as a fluke, but if it ever happens again, I have a previous case to reference for RMA purposes. I'm a home user (not enterprise) and the only time I've rebooted it since then are proactive weather issues moving through, and for firmware updates. The fans, and the controller, have been working flawlessly since this incident.

I was pleased that QNAP worked with me to help me regain confidence in the unit (by keeping my case open for a while before closing), but was greatly disappointed when I was told that they don't offer an advance-RMA warranty on this unit.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”