RTRR always fails after a while

Discussion on remote replication.
MichaelKnight
New here

RTRR always fails after a while

Post by MichaelKnight »

I am using 2 QNAP devices to storage system images and backups in one unit and SYNC over the other:

- TS231-P2, firmware 4.4.1.1216, HBS3 3.0.200212
- TS228 firmware 4.3.6.1218, HBS 3.0.200212

The ONE WAY SYNC goes TS231-P2 > TS228. The TS228 auto powerup at 22:00 and power-off the next day at 8:00. The TS231-P2 power-up at 22:15 and switches off the next day at 8:00.

When the TS231-P2 is ready, the RTRR connection works and always starts fine. However, after a period of time it always fails.

I enabled the option to restart in case it unexpectedly fails and still not reconnecting.

The RTRR connection won't be restablished until someone does it manually and, after restablishing it manually, usually it keeps working till the devices poweroff. The worst is HBS start over to transfer the same file when it fails, so if the file is big (integral system images are) then it comes into an "infinite loop".

Any suggestion? I am quite lost at this point since the case is pretty strange.

Regards.
P3R
Guru

Re: RTRR always fails after a while

Post by P3R »

What's in between the two NASes? Slow internet connections?

Are you using Real-time synchronization or a scheduled job?

I'm guessing the connection isn't stable enough, which causes timeouts and interrupted sync and maybe the connection haven't recovered yet when automatically retrying?

Have you tried playing with the retry setting of the job to see if that helps?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MichaelKnight
New here

Post by MichaelKnight »

I use FTTH connections 50MB on one side and 200MB on the other one. I consider the connection is pretty stable, I have never experienced any issue so far.

The SYNC is Real-time based.

I think I already set the retry flag but it didn't help. In any case, could you point me out where do you enable the retry? Maybe I didn't set it correctly.

Thanks for your help
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

MichaelKnight wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:29 am I use FTTH connections 50MB on one side and 200MB on the other one.
Yes I assume it should be stable. I have a backup running over FTTH with 100 Mb/s at the slow side and it never have to retry.
The SYNC is Real-time based.
I would run it scheduled. I wouldn't be surprised if a Real-time sync is more sensitive. It's really scheduled that you want and have, though you now control it with the power on schedule instead. Boot the TS-231-P2 at 22:00 and schedule the job for 22:15 or whatever is needed to have a healthy safety margin after the boot. You know the times better than me.
I think I already set the retry flag but it didn't help. In any case, could you point me out where do you enable the retry?
Edit Sync Job, Rules, Options then scroll down to the bottom to see the error handling.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MichaelKnight
New here

Post by MichaelKnight »

Sorry for my last reply but I was out because of a business trip.

I verified the settings as you told me and I found it was apparently correct.

Any further suggestion?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

MichaelKnight wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 am Any further suggestion?
Have you tried changing it to scheduled as I recommended above and if so, what did that give?

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”