Archaeology Clarification - Which PSU for my poor old motherboard

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
jcdavies
New here

Archaeology Clarification - Which PSU for my poor old motherboard

Post by jcdavies »

Hi all,
I bought a TS-509PRO second hand many years ago. And it's been awesome.
I believe the previous owner did some sort of upgrade to it but I can't remember what (but potentially relevant to this query).

About 5 years ago the PSU died and being a bit of a cheap-skate back then, I got it working with an old PC PSU that I sat on top of the TS-509. It was ugly but worked fine.
Important point is that I discarded the old faulty internal PSU back then and don't have it now to look at.

I'm at the point now where I want to go back to a proper internal PSU for the TS-509PRO.
I've looked at the PSUs for sale and am confused because they just don't seem like they will fit the motherboard I have.

My motherboard (has E243739 stamped on the back) has two sockets for input power. One is 4 pins x 2 pins. Next to it is a larger 12 pin x 2 pin socket.
I've attached an image of my motherboard with the 8 pin and the 24 pin power sockets shown in the bottom right of the image

A simple online search reveals that this is the correct PSU to purchase: https://shop.qnap.com/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=72
But have a look at the connectors - it has two connectors that each seem to be 24pin (2 pin x 12 pin) - so do I need an adapter to provide power to the 8 pin socket?

Just based on the looking at the pins, it seems that this PSU is the one to fit my NAS: https://www.qnapshop.com.au/qnap-sp-x79 ... -for-8-bay
But of course, that one is not listed as being for the TS-509PRO.

Has anyone got an image of how the PSU connects to their TS-509PRO motherboard to help me in this quest through history?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jcdavies on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Archaeology Clarification - Which PSU for my poor old motherboard

Post by OneCD »

jcdavies wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm About 5 years ago the PSU died and being a bit of a cheap-skate back then, I got it working with an old PC PSU that I sat on top of the TS-509. It was ugly but worked fine.
I did the same thing with my TS-569 Pro ... still works.

BTW: your CPU heatsink could use a good cleaning. :DD
jcdavies wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm Has anyone got an image of how the PSU connects to their TS-509PRO motherboard to help me in this quest through history?
Fortunately, the Internet has many images of the TS-509 - it was a rather popular NAS in its day.

Here's one showing the original PSU connections to the main board:

Only half of the 8 pin socket is connected.

But, then I found this:

... where all 8 pins are connected. Maybe there were some build variations? :?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jcdavies
New here

Post by jcdavies »

OneCD wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm BTW: your CPU heatsink could use a good cleaning. :DD
Oh yes, it's a bit of a disgrace in there. I'll give everything a good clean
OneCD wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm But, then I found this:

... where all 8 pins are connected. Maybe there were some build variations? :?
That's a useful image with all 8 pins connected.

What I really need to see is how a running Qnap with a similar motherboard has taken 2 x 24 pin power output connectors from the PSU and plugged them into 1 x 24 and 1 x 8 power input connectors.
I'm thinking the original TS509Pro must have had a 24 pin to 8 pin converter supplied
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Wait: I think QNAP are using the wrong part image in the Qnap Shop. :'

I just found an image for the TS-509 Pro PSU that was available in Australia (SKU: BAQN-SP-5BAY-PSU):

... which is a match for your main board. :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jcdavies
New here

Post by jcdavies »

Yes, yes, yes!!!
So i'm not going insane after all as I sit here wondering how to squeeze 24 pins into an 8 pin socket

I feel better now. Thanks

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”