Problem accessing MyQnapCloud on LAN, yet still works outside LAN

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
eight13atnight
Starting out

Problem accessing MyQnapCloud on LAN, yet still works outside LAN

Post by eight13atnight »

Hey all;

I'm having some trouble and I'm not sure how to wrap my head around it.

With the recent office closures in NYC area, I was forced to bring my office home. I have recently upgraded my internet to a Fios system, where they installed a gig router.

Here is my setup.
Mac MIni hardwired into the router. This machine has VPN setup to access office server. Mac Mini is on the same LAN as the Nas
Older Macbook air using wifi. Macbook Air is on the same WiFi LAN as the Nas.

While on the home LAN, prior to the new router being installed, I was able to access the NAS through the myqnapcloud web address, as well as locally with the direct IP address.
AFTER the new router was installed, I am no longer able to access the NAS via myqnapcloud. Only the direct IP address works. Meanwhile, when I'm at my In-laws (read: Outside the LAN), I am able to access the NAS using myqnapcloud.

My question to everyone is: How the hell come I can't access myqnapcloud while sitting directly on the network, yet somehow it magically works while I'm NOT on the LAN. Further, how come the direct IP WILL work while on my LAN, but myqnapcloud web portal will not.

Thoughts?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Problem accessing MyQnapCloud on LAN, yet still works outside LAN

Post by dolbyman »

unless it's via VPN ..do not access your nas straight via myqnapcloud ...I have a feeling with the uptick in home workers, we will soon see ton of NAS malware again (because exposing your NAS to everyone on the internet is convenient)

and on top .. you say the NAS has VPN access to the office.. so you are basically risking your whole office security as well

so only use VPN to access your NAS (Server best on router or dedicated appliance) ... no, that VPN type will NOT cost money
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

eight13atnight wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 pm While on the home LAN, prior to the new router being installed, I was able to access the NAS through the myqnapcloud web address, as well as locally with the direct IP address.
AFTER the new router was installed, I am no longer able to access the NAS via myqnapcloud. Only the direct IP address works. Meanwhile, when I'm at my In-laws (read: Outside the LAN), I am able to access the NAS using myqnapcloud.

My question to everyone is: How the ** come I can't access myqnapcloud while sitting directly on the network, yet somehow it magically works while I'm NOT on the LAN. Further, how come the direct IP WILL work while on my LAN, but myqnapcloud web portal will not.
It sounds like your new home router doesn't support NAT loopback. :(

If you find a router that does support NAT loopback, try installing it inside your LAN (in a double-NAT config) to get this working.

But, as advised by @dolbyman, exposing your NAS directly to the Internet is a bad idea anyway. Much safer to allow external access to your LAN via your own VPN server. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
eight13atnight
Starting out

Post by eight13atnight »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm unless it's via VPN ..do not access your nas straight via myqnapcloud ...I have a feeling with the uptick in home workers, we will soon see ton of NAS malware again (because exposing your NAS to everyone on the internet is convenient)
Yes, I've been meaning to set this up. Now is a good time since I'm home all the time. Before was difficult to focus on it. I'm not super knowledgeable in setting up servers. Plus, I have a 11 month old baby, so I have precious little time to devote to this task. If you can offer some insight (websites, or videos) on how to get the VPN set up (specifically on the Qnap), and then accessing it, I would truly truly appreciate it!
dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm
and on top .. you say the NAS has VPN access to the office.. so you are basically risking your whole office security as well
No, the NAS does not (or rather should not) have VPN access to the office server, only my Mac Mini workstation does. As far as I know, the NAS should not be able to access our office via the VPN in that configuration. If that's incorrect can you please offer some explanation? Idk how to explain it in networking terms, but the Mac Mini is plugged into the router with hard wired ethernet, and the Nas is also plugged into the router with ethernet. Are you saying that somehow the Nas can access my office server through the mac mini, when the mac mini is connected? Idk how that would be.
dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm
so only use VPN to access your NAS (Server best on router or dedicated appliance) ... no, that VPN type will NOT cost money
I would be delighted to set this up. I'm still learning how to manage all the networking. Any websites or other information you readily know off hand to help me learn how to set it up would be greatly appreciated. Is QVPN the app for that?
eight13atnight
Starting out

Post by eight13atnight »

OneCD wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:07 am
It sounds like your new home router doesn't support NAT loopback. :(

But, as advised by @dolbyman, exposing your NAS directly to the Internet is a bad idea anyway. Much safer to allow external access to your LAN via your own VPN server. ;)
Thanks for this tip. I have the G3100 router that verizon uses. I'll check it out today to see if there are options for hairpinning.

OneCD wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:07 am
If you find a router that does support NAT loopback, try installing it inside your LAN (in a double-NAT config) to get this working.

I'm intending on figuring out this VPN stuff during the quarantine. If you can send any insight (websites, videos, written papers) that I can learn from it would be greatly appreciated. On your other idea about the secondary router...I DO have a TP Link Archer A7 that's not being used. I may need to put that back in use in order to achieve the configuration I need.
jdesm
Starting out

Post by jdesm »

Hi, I'm wondering if you've found a solution to this? I've just replaced my router (provided by ISP) with the exact same one, setup was automatically (supposedly) carried over, but it's not working any more... Can't find any form of NAT Loopback setting. Is there something else that needs to be changed somehow? With the router change, my IP did change...

Thanks!
eight13atnight
Starting out

Post by eight13atnight »

I actually have not solved this issue yet. We moved out of the city the weekend I wrote this, and I've been remote ever since. I have finally gotten off myqnapcloud by using ddns to access the IP address directly. When we move back in I'll let you know how well it's working from the internal LAN.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I can recommend a Raspberry Pi running a Pivpn and Wireguard as a cost effective VPN

Return to “Mac OS”