Raid syncing kills Plex

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
greensabath
Starting out

Raid syncing kills Plex

Post by greensabath »

*NOTE* I am posting this here because it is relevant to the Plex app. I will also post this in the QTS section as well.

I have a TS-453Be w/ RAID 6, running Plex and using myCloudlink for the remote apps. Shortly after installing the latest QTS 4.4.1.1216 build 20200214 my server started losing connections with Plex and myCloudlink.

Upon initial troubleshooting, I found out that QTS was running a resync of my RAID and that job was failing, causing the myCloudlink and Plex connections to disconnect (myCloudlink connection had a status of abnormal - needed to manually push the reconnect in the admin console on the local network). I was thinking that Plex was causing the issue, and so I tested running the resync job after stopping Plex. The job completed successfully after testing that. I think with the latest update, QTS changed the schedule of resyncing to weekly and I also think it was failing because Plex was locking files when watching them.

There are several issues here that QTS needs to fix.

1. QTS should close all apps that may interfere with a resync job before starting. Or at least give the option for this in settings.
2. QTS needs to not kill the remote connections to the internet if the job fails
3. myCloudlink should have a setting to automatically reset the connection if its status becomes abnormal.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Raid syncing kills Plex

Post by dolbyman »

have you reported all of this to QNAP ?

1. you can set a sync priority, to either prioritize sync or processes
2. not sure what that means .. but QNAP has issues with their DDNS service right now (threads everywhere about it)
3. I never used the cloudlink (the one where you don't forward ports to the web) but I figure that a LOT of people are using this service right now, overwhelming QNAP Servers in the process
greensabath
Starting out

Post by greensabath »

Hi dolbyman,

1. I've tried adjusting that setting, but the job would always fail. To be more specific, it fails at the very end. I've found that it runs at least 16 hours on Low, 7-9 hours on First Priority.
2. This isn't my issue. This started happening about a week 1/2 ago.
3. I am able to access cloudlink services as of right now, so maybe the outage is only certain regions?

I am submitting a support ticket right now and will refer them to this thread. Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1. a RAID resync is not really a "job" (like a backup or media indexing would be), if it fails, you are in trouble .. what exactly fails ?
2. That's when the issues with DDNS (and other QNAP services) started, but ok might be unrelated
3. Very possible that those services are run in localized CDN or cloud centers
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

greensabath wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 pm I will also post this in the QTS section as well.
Please don't do this. A single post anywhere on the community forum is fine. QNAP's forum rules forbid "cross-posting".

I've removed the duplicate topic.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
greensabath
Starting out

Post by greensabath »

1. a RAID resync is not really a "job" (like a backup or media indexing would be), if it fails, you are in trouble .. what exactly fails ?
-- See below for 2 specific entries in my system logs. I do not know how it calculates the Date/Time because it is not 14 seconds difference.
-- I've read why this "job" is important and initially I was thinking this was a firmware problem. I was thinking I might have to downgrade the firmware.
-- I don't understand why this isn't a job like any others. In the QNAP settings, it treats it like a job that you can schedule. I would say it is similar to media indexing because its a system job.

Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Error 3/29/2020 1:41:59 PM System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Storage Migration [Storage & Snapshots] Failed to add existing storage from free disks. Enclosure: Volume.
Information 3/29/2020 1:41:45 PM System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots RAID Group [Storage & Snapshots] Started resyncing RAID group "1". Storage pool: 1, Priority: Service First.

NOTE: I don't know why the error is this one. I am not adding/changing/removing drives. Again, my theory is that the Plex service is locking files and maybe that locks the volume and the resync job needs to do something with that.

Please don't do this. A single post anywhere on the community forum is fine. QNAP's forum rules forbid "cross-posting".

I've removed the duplicate topic.
--- Thanks, I won't do this from now on.

I've sent this to QNAP support and they are looking into it. Hopefully, it will result in a change in how this runs. I would think the simple solution would be to stop all non-QNAP services before running this job.
Last edited by greensabath on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a critical system function (raid resync) is not a job ..you cannot schedule a raid rsync
greensabath
Starting out

Post by greensabath »

a critical system function (raid resync) is not a job ..you cannot schedule a raid rsync
-- Yes you can

https://docs.qnap.com/nas/QTS4.3.4/en/G ... 7C8EC4B762

-- I've verified that this is the same job in the logs.
-- Please see screenshot below.
2020-04-10.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

screenshot shows no resync jobs

just resync priority and scrubbing jobs
greensabath
Starting out

Post by greensabath »

Yes, but I tested the scrubbing job and it comes up exactly the same when it runs. It says "resyncing" when it's running. So it's the same job.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so you are not doing resyncing (raid recovering from a degraded state) you are doing scrubbing

so either schedule scrubbing at times you do not need the nas to operate with full speed(granted, finish time could be relatively unpredictable) or just do manual scrubbing

if you think the raid scrubbing mechanism needs changing (services stopped) you need to open a ticket with qnap

Return to “Plex Media Server”