QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Jred55
Starting out

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by Jred55 »

Hi, I've a similar issue in that the NAS constantly reboots with or without drives in. I've been given instructions to access the bios to do a memtest but whenever I press the 'del' key on startup nothing happens and the NAS goes straight to booting the kernel. Anyone got any ideas on how to access the bios? Because of the constant rebooting I can't even try a new DOM either. Thanks.
Jred55
Starting out

Post by Jred55 »

Should probably add that this this rebooting happened a few days after upgrading the firmware to 4.4.2. Not sure if this is coincidence or not!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Jred55 wrote:Hi, I've a similar issue in that the NAS constantly reboots with or without drives in. I've been given instructions to access the bios to do a memtest but whenever I press the 'del' key on startup nothing happens and the NAS goes straight to booting the kernel. Anyone got any ideas on how to access the bios? Because of the constant rebooting I can't even try a new DOM either. Thanks.
Shut the NAS down. Then start it again and press the Del key. See if that works.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Jred55
Starting out

Post by Jred55 »

Hey @Toxic17, you gave me an idea to try a different keyboard. I was originally using a mini keyboard but swapping to a standard size one has worked. Thanks for your help.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Glad it worked.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
razzyuk
Starting out

Post by razzyuk »

Good to hear the updates from other folks on this forum.

@Jred55 - did you manage to enter the BIOS? What were your next steps, were you able to get rid of the SYSTEM BOOTING message?
drivie
Starting out

Post by drivie »

Add me to the list of QNAP owners with a NAS that won't boot. Mine too is stuck at SYSTEM BOOTING... I removed the drives and managed to get it to boot once but could not get it to boot again after that. I've tried the steps in this thread in addition to a number of other steps in an attempt to troubleshoot but without success. I get no output from the HDMI port either.

With so many having issues, does anyone think this points to either a bad upgrade or a bad piece of hardware?

I guess I'll open a ticket with QNAP support and see how much it will cost to repair.
bo1500000
First post

Post by bo1500000 »

Ditto, mine just started this also, and I have had no luck with fixing it. I got scared, and I pulled a drive and am currently backing up my data. I'll revisit it once that's complete.

This is all very suspicious that this is occurring to all of us at the same time. Software related???
razzyuk
Starting out

Post by razzyuk »

I have a suspicion this is software related. Backed up all files and now in the process of reinitializing with a new drive.
eschol1948@gmail.com
New here

Post by eschol1948@gmail.com »

eschol1948@gmail.com wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm I have been trying with my ts-853 Pro for the last 5 weeks to get rid of the system booting message in the LCD panel. Last night, I finally succeeded. I followed all the steps until I got past remove hard drives, remembering order, and reboot. System booting message came up again. This is where I strayed away from the path. Without the hard drives being reinstalled, I did another "Hard power off" with the start button. This time, I unplugged the NAS and went to bed. Eight hours later, I reinserted the drives, plugged the NAS back in which did an automatic restart. This time, it worked. All my leds, lcd panel, system fan messages are functioning normally. Don't know why it worked this time, maybe some capacitors were holding a charge or something similar. Reluctant to try a reboot to see if the"System Booting" message returns.
Okay, just had another power outage. The NAS initiated a shutdown after 5 minutes as expected. The power outage (turns out it was scheduled, but my wife forgot to tell me!) lasted a total of 30 minutes. When power returned and the NAS auto booted, I had the red drive leds lit, LCD panel showing "system booting", etc. Tried the normal 8 steps to restore, but it did not work.
alias71 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 am
I am able consistently to fix the problem doing this:
1 - Force power off the NAS pressing the power button for 10 secs
2 - Remove the hard drives (remembering the order)
3 - Power on the NAS
4 - This time, without hard drives, the NAS starts. Interestingly, no error is logged.
5 - Power off the NAS normally
6 - Reinsert the hard drives preserving the order
7 - Power on the NAS
8 - The NAS starts and all the data is accessible.
Thanks
So I proceeded using the steps above, doing another hard off after step 4 and unplugging the power cord overnight, picking up with step 6 in the morning. For some reason, the overnight power cord unplug worked again. Back up and running with everything normal again.
an303042
Starting out

Post by an303042 »

Same here with a TS-453 Pro. Won't boot with or without drives. Started with a system fan error, but now stuck in "system booting" no matter what I do. First couple of times lights were green but has since turned red. Left disconnected for a few hours - no change. Open to hear any and all ideas.
QueNAP?
New here

Post by QueNAP? »

Also happened for me - started with random reboots and fan failed error message even though still working. Worked like that for a while then started showing System Booting message on the screen even though in all other respects it was working fine. Now won't boot (still shows system booting message) but hangs there. Same with or without drives. Support advised motherboard dead and replacement would cost over $300 which isn't really viable. Seems that the same problem happened to many people. Very poor IMO.
crybaby
New here

Post by crybaby »

QueNAP? wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:26 pm Also happened for me - started with random reboots and fan failed error message even though still working. Worked like that for a while then started showing System Booting message on the screen even though in all other respects it was working fine. Now won't boot (still shows system booting message) but hangs there. Same with or without drives. Support advised motherboard dead and replacement would cost over $300 which isn't really viable. Seems that the same problem happened to many people. Very poor IMO.
Without drives, do you have the HDD lights constantly in red? Pls check my post with photo above.
If you dont, most probably the motherboard is ok.

From the expiriance I have with two TS-453 Pro, for me I can say:
- If you have drive lights constanly in red with removed HDDs, so you can throw for sure you NAS in the trash :(
- If leds are not in such of status then your NAS can be recovered. I got many times in system boot loop. From my point of view this happens after an update. Not imediatley, but some time after the update (mostly firmware update, but also got system boot after an application update also. I dont remember which app update caused the issue). So now, I avoid doing any updates anymore. Few months already run without appear this boot cycle issue. I dont know if this is because I didnt performed any updates or I've disabled the "enable configuration reset switch" option in Control Panel->Hardware->General
I dont know how situation is with other models, but I think this is wake point of TS-453 Pro models.
QueNAP?
New here

Post by QueNAP? »

Yes the 1st bay isn't red but the other 3 are.

Options appear to be:
* I'm reluctant to pay for the repair because it's pretty much that same I paid for the unit new and also would prefer not to give QNAP any more money.
* I could find a second hand one on eBay. That runs the risk of another failure assuming the mainboard fault repeats and also doesn't look like that cheap an option.
* Purchase another new model. I'm leaning toward this option but with much frustration and trying to work out the cheapest similar spec unit.
* hold out for some sort of recovery - but looking very unlikely from what I read, thanks.

Theres definitely seems to be a consistent pattern of failure. Wish QNAP would take some sort of responsibility and feels very wasteful to throw away a unit that should have served many more years :(
crybaby
New here

Post by crybaby »

QueNAP? wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:16 pm Yes the 1st bay isn't red but the other 3 are.

Options appear to be:
* I'm reluctant to pay for the repair because it's pretty much that same I paid for the unit new and also would prefer not to give QNAP any more money.
* I could find a second hand one on eBay. That runs the risk of another failure assuming the mainboard fault repeats and also doesn't look like that cheap an option.
* Purchase another new model. I'm leaning toward this option but with much frustration and trying to work out the cheapest similar spec unit.
* hold out for some sort of recovery - but looking very unlikely from what I read, thanks.

Theres definitely seems to be a consistent pattern of failure. Wish QNAP would take some sort of responsibility and feels very wasteful to throw away a unit that should have served many more years :(
QueNAP, I'm sorry for your unit.
How it died? Maybe a dust accumolated, thus overheated? Have you had an alarms before?

Return to “Users' Corner”