QNAP TS-251+ failure - need help

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Andrewkha
Starting out

QNAP TS-251+ failure - need help

Post by Andrewkha »

Dear colleagues

I've got QNAP TS-251+ issue. Let me briefly explain what happen. Last night the fan started to be very noisy and the device started beeping, I also received a notification about the Fan HW failure, I have immediatelly shut down the device. Since it was late night I decided to have a look next day.
Today morning I opend the cover and removed all the dust from it. Then powered the device on. The fan works OK, however the device doesn't boot normally. When I power it on whithout HDDs installed, the USB LED shows solid blue and HDD1 LED shows solid RED, no other LEDs active.
I have connected the device directly to display via HDMI and after power on it stucks for about 5 mins with the message "Decompressing Linux.... Parsing ELF... done. Booting the Kernel". After 5 minutes it display the Disk Missing notice. Plugging/unplugging the disks makes no difference.

If I boot it up with HDDs installed, it behaves almost the same (the same LEDs are active) but after 'Bootong the Kernel" the Disk Missing screen doesn't show up. Just a black screen

So I have 2 questions:
1. Is there anything can be done to repair the device?
2. How can I copy the data from QNAP disks (no RAID was configured, just 2 separate disks) to my Windows PC?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-251+ failure - need help

Post by dolbyman »

1. check for fimware recovery
2. with single disks you sureley must have had external backups..what was your plan in case of disk failure? (always have external backups)

Return to “Users' Corner”