Newbie: Can't login myqnapcloud: asks for username...don't have one??

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
chumbo
Know my way around

Newbie: Can't login myqnapcloud: asks for username...don't have one??

Post by chumbo »

Hi,
This is a brand new setup for a used TS-251+ NAS I just bought and I went through the whole setup process, it rebooted (I guess?) and now I'm at a login page that asks me for a username but I haven't yet defined one?? I have my email login which I used to create my QNAP ID but that doesn't work so...what am I supposed to do??
Thanks in advance,
chumbo
QNAP TS-251+ 8Gb, Windows 10 x64.
I'm a total noob when it comes to networking and security so please address me as if I were your grandmother
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Newbie: Can't login myqnapcloud: asks for username...don't have one??

Post by dolbyman »

have you tried to setup or validate your account here ?

https://www.myqnapcloud.com/

make sure you do not expose any services to the web, by far too dangerous
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

When I click that link I get this:

And what services are you talking about (remember, I'm complete newbie!) :(
I'm a total noob when it comes to networking and security so please address me as if I were your grandmother
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I get a website that you can sign in .. I do not have a myqnapcloud account so I can;t test

and with services I mean, photo-,video-,filestation (and many others that qnaps love to advertise and that have been used to break into qnap units)
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

You probably mean this?
So yes, I can get that login page as well and that's in fact the page I was talking about in my first post. I can't login...I enter my email address or username and password and it still doesn't work! :'
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that one is your QNAP login screen, not sure why that website I linked to up there would forward it to your NAS

Unless you are logged in and it automatically forwards your to your DDNS (with an already exposed login screen?)
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

What a PIA...I'm not even started yet and I'm already facing problems :roll:
that one is your QNAP login screen,
...login in screen to...what? My QNAP account?
I am in fact trying to login to my NAS....isn't that what the myqnapcloud login is for? If not, what does it login me into then?? (this is so confusing....)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you said your qnapcloud login wasn't working (qnap cloud is qnaps DDNS service), then you show me your QNAP NAS login

please be specific in what you are trying to ask and what are you trying to achieve
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

Well, I put it in the title of my post: "Newbie:..." and mentioned it again later so obviously I don't really know what I'm talking about and probably don't use the proper terms so....sorry!

I appreciate your help but you'll have to be a bit patient with me I'm afraid.
I'm just trying to connect to my NAS to start to use it (add files, use services,...). So...how do I do that then? I assume there's a login page so I thought that's what I was doing.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

to setup your NAS you don't need qnap cloud

you either install qfinder (to find your NAS for first install) or you check on your DHCP server (most of the time on your router) what IP you NAS has gotten assigned.

the NAS setup is done via a webbrowser, but it is actually happening on your local LAN http://NASIP

Then you proceed to setup your NAS according to the manual
https://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat2/en/index.html
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

I'm pretty sure that's what I did already, just very slightly differently: On the NAS itself, there was a sticker with a QR code which then opened a web browser with a setup guide in several steps. In the end it rebooted and I was greeted with that screen which wouldn't let me login. That's where I'm at now.
So if I go to the NAS manual url you provided, I see that what I did was in fact called the 'Cloud Installation' which is offered as one of the three valid ways of installing the NAS (I should point out that I wasn't offered steps 11, 12. Maybe that's changed since that page of the manual was written)

So, are you saying I shouldn't do it that way?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

never done that cloud install, no idea what it does, don't want to try it out

so what happens if you go to http://NASIP ? (where NASIP stands for the 4 blocks of your private NAS IP, e.g. 192.168.0.100)
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

I get that login page in my last screenshot ('MerodeNAS') and of course the same login problem as before.
I've seen searched the error a bit and it's not encouraging...at all! I find post of users jumping ship and moving to Synology or this poor guy that couldn't get any help at all with exactly the same error message in the first screen shot I posted: viewtopic.php?p=696709&sid=ee201995856f ... d19e51f85a.

Just FYI, the install process of the Cloud Installation is exactly the same as with the QFinder App and since it's +-350b in size (on Windows), I definitely prefer to do without it since it doesn't seem to be unavoidable.
How do you suggest I do the installation then?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the login screen would be your chosen password (during install) if you do not remember the password you can reset it with the reset button on the back (push it in for 3 seconds)

username is admin
depending on the installed firmware the password is either admin (4.4.1 and lower) or the first NIC MAC address (4.4.2 and higher)

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -qts-4-4-2
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

I used Google to save my password so I couldn't possibly get it wrong and I tried 'admin' 'nickname' 'email' as username but nothing was worked.
At this point, I'll just reset it all over again since I won't lose anything anyway.
I'll report back soon....

Thanks for your continued support! Very kind :)

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”