Newbie: Can't login myqnapcloud: asks for username...don't have one??

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
chumbo
Know my way around

Re: Newbie: Can't login myqnapcloud: asks for username...don't have one??

Post by chumbo »

Just so I get it right...how exactly should I do the setup then? (I'll go for the full reset i.e. factory reset, just to be on the safe side)
QNAP TS-251+ 8Gb, Windows 10 x64.
I'm a total noob when it comes to networking and security so please address me as if I were your grandmother
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Full factory reset is either done in the WebGUI (but you do not have access to it) or just taking the drives out of the NAS an formatting them via another system

the reset button on the back does NOT do full system reset
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

Actually, it does. As I found out thanks to the online manual you linked ;) It's a long press of +-10 sec. After 3 sec you have a first beep for the 'soft' reset and if you wait until +- 10 sec you hear another beep which, according to the manual puts it into factory reset.
Anyway, I did it and this time I chose the first option in the software installation in the manual, called Smart Installation Guide and that worked beautifully! And I was instantly in with a simple admin/admin! :)

So now comes the long process of setting it all up. Any tips, recommendations, newbie errors to avoid or must-do...don't hesitate! ;)
I'm a total noob when it comes to networking and security so please address me as if I were your grandmother
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

10 second push does NOT delete the files on the drives, if it did a LOT of tears would have been shed over the years

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... explained/
2. Ten second press and hold of the reset button

Please refer to the picture above and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. You will hear two beeps, one at 3 seconds and one at 10 seconds to let you know the reset has been successful.

In this case, all settings including users and groups as well as shared folders will be removed. Your data on the drives will not be deleted. To retrieve the old data after an advanced system reset you need to create the same network shares on the NAS and the data will be accessible again.
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

Right, but I thought it was pretty obvious that it my case that's not even an issue since I haven't even had access to the OS of the NAS and as I previously mentioned, I don't even have a single file on there yet.
Anyway, for my problem, erasing any or all files would have solved absolutely nothing so....

Now I'm finally in! What would you do next? Any essential tweaks I should know about?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what exactly is it you want to use the NAS for ?
chumbo
Know my way around

Post by chumbo »

Backup family computers and multimedia (streaming and home viewing/listening).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

seems straight forward then ..not much to stumble over then

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”