Why doesn't myqnapcloud link work?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Forcefire
New here

Why doesn't myqnapcloud link work?

Post by Forcefire »

Hi

I have setup a DDNS via the My DDNS within the NAS, it shows its active and I even purchased the QTS SSL Cert for it too, everything looks fine on the Control panel yet every time I try and connect using the URL it never logs in, it just times-out saying "xxxxxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com took too long to respond"

why doesn't it work? Is there some tip/trick I'm missing?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Why doesn't myqnapcloud link work?

Post by dolbyman »

are you aware of the severe security implications you are about to unleash on your nas and network?

another topic like this from today

viewtopic.php?f=313&t=155674
ibwaheemi
Starting out

Post by ibwaheemi »

get a REALLY long password of different types of characters, store it on your browser and store it on a flash drive

my devices are set to '3 wrong passwords within half an hour blocks the IP'
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a long password does nothing if an attacker uses an exploit
rcr203
Starting out

Post by rcr203 »

You'll see I had a similar question : viewforum.php?f=313

And unfortunately, the only active person that responds is dolbyman. And while I appreciate their effort to educate folks on the risks of exposing your NAS externally, they seems to be the first on any question, not answering the actually question, but instead issuing the dire warnings of considering exposing your NAS in the first place.

Some of us got a NAS with the intention of exposing it externally for valid reasons. It'd be nice if it actually worked the way it is supposed to. In most cases, I likely wouldn't put blame soley on QNAP - I think it's likely more to do with router settings, especially for ISP-provided routers. But someone needs to create a clear guide with all the proper settings on various equipment in order to make sure everything works, and works securely (to the level that you can when exposing your NAS, of course, dolbyman).

I am going to replace my router this week.. If it solves it, great. I'll let you know. I am, of course, going to put in a mesh (Wifi 6 /ax).. so of course adding in yet more variables that may mess things up. But we'll see..
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

it's like if someone ask the best method to jump off a building...what do you want me to answer ? head first for certain death ?

a vpn is the ONLY way to mitigate immediate security implications of exposing your nas..some users have used reverse proxies, but stick to vpn and you should be ok

and why to you address me with "they" ?

here two recent reddit posts about what can happen
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... dauxqmdnz/
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... qnap_hack/
Forcefire
New here

Post by Forcefire »

WOW!!

I had no idea, thanks for the links and info... Now secured my NAS

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”