Opinion in QNAP's compare

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
AntonioManuel
Getting the hang of things

Post by AntonioManuel »

Hello, I want to buy a QNAP with 6 Bays. The ones available in the market are QNAP TVS-673, TS-673, TVS-672XT and TS-h686.

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/compare ... t_overview

Can anyone make a recommendations and order them?

Between QNAP TVS-673 and TS-673 probably is better the TS since it can be expanded with a GPU, since the other characteristics are pretty the same.

Thanks.
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Opinion in QNAP's compare

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

don't forget ts-653d which is a new release, supposedly a replacement for ts-653be?

tvs-672N is another option

6bays ok. but what else do you require out of it? what is your intended use case? hard to recommend without knowing this :'

if you go to the product page you can compare them

the ones with intel igpu means 1 less purchase for graphics. some people though insist on nvidia graphics card, so there are models that support nvidia graphics card to be installed on it.

pay for the features you actually need.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
AntonioManuel

Post by AntonioManuel »

Hello Moogle Stiltzkin, thanks for the reply.

My intention of the QNAP is to make Backup of course, but also to analyze satellite images, since I only have a laptop and I need a workstation, I think.

I want to make scripts and run them in the QNAP. Using the container Station or a virtual environment.

Also I want to serve a webpage.

I need 6 bays, because I want to make a Raid 5 from bay one two and three, in the fourth bay use a HDD as a substitute for the Raid, just in case. Use the 5th bay for multimedia and put in the last bay a ssd running the scripts or the virtual environment.

What do you say?

thanks,
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I don't know what your price range is, but the TVS-672N should perform very well. And you don't need to use one of the 3.5" bays for an SSD since this has 2 M.2 NVMe slots.

Do you have any particular performance requirements?

If not, then a lower-end model should be fine.
AntonioManuel

Post by AntonioManuel »

Hello, I just need performance, I don't really know how much. Sometimes it take one day to analyze a image in my laptop.

Do you think intel is better than AMD from TVS-673.

The thing is that I already have a tvs-673 16GB, but I can change it because I need another for another place.

The most visible differences between

TVS-673 and TVS-672N seems to be:

Expansion against 5 Gigabit Ethernet Port (5G) installled

Flash Memory 512 MB against 5GB

Do I buy another one for my self or keep the one that I have?

I can afford any of the compare link.

Thanks.
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

From a CPU perspective, the i3 has better passmark performance and is 3 years newer technology.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AM ... 2655vs3304

You also get the benefit on things like Plex of being able to leverage Intel QSV for transcoding.

For VM usage, having internal NVMe drive support in something like the 672N that Qnap Daniel mentioned is going to make a BIG difference in VM performance (all things else being equal in terms of CPU/Memory) .

VM’s tend to be storage intensive and the NVMe will give you the best storage performance especially for small block changes like VM’s make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
AntonioManuel

Post by AntonioManuel »

Thanks you all.
QNAPDanielFL wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:30 am
Do you have any particular performance requirements?

If not, then a lower-end model should be fine.
What should be a higher-end model for you? In terms of 6 bay NAS we don't have a lot of options.

And
Trexx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:58 am From a CPU perspective, the i3 has better passmark performance and is 3 years newer technology.

VM’s tend to be storage intensive and the NVMe will give you the best storage performance especially for small block changes like VM’s make.
Regarding the CPU I understand the option, but when does the CPU AMD reach the "Up to 3.4 GHz"?

Does the VM's will allow playing any games?

In terms of memory the TVS-672 N and XT only has 2 slots and max 32GB, while the TVS-673 support 64Gb in 4 slots.

Is a TS better than TVS since is possible to put a GPU?

Some of the NAS support QUAI?
I think to config a QNAP with the same apps we don't really need the QUAI app, or do we?

I would like to make the same type of system to work with Machine Learning.

I want to have the best value for money like we all do.

Thanks,
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

In a 6 bay, I would consider TVS-672N to be high end. TS-673 or TS-653D would be lower end, but still good for the price.

The i3 is significantly better than the AMD CPU in the 73 series. And the NVMe slots in the 672 are great. Most people don't need more than 32GB of RAM anyway. But the TS-673 is lower cost, so it is still a good file server for it's price.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

AntonioManuel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:15 pm Thanks you all.
Trexx wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:58 am From a CPU perspective, the i3 has better passmark performance and is 3 years newer technology.

Regarding the CPU I understand the option, but when does the CPU AMD reach the "Up to 3.4 GHz"?

Does the VM's will allow playing any games?

In terms of memory the TVS-672 N and XT only has 2 slots and max 32GB, while the TVS-673 support 64Gb in 4 slots.
Be careful of confusing clock speed ("RPM") with performance ("horsepower"). The i3 has a higher passmark ("horsepower") rating even though it runs at lower RPM's.

I have NAS with both 32 & 64GB, and I very seldom ever come close to using 32GB on either of them.

With heavy & multiple VM usage you are more likely to run out of CPU cycles sooner than memory, especially now that QNAP added VM memory compression/sharing. If your VM's are on NVMe that is even more likely as if you VM get low on memory, it will page memory to 'disk' in this case the NVMe. If the VM is on NVMe SSD, the "pain" of that paging is likely to be less than if you were paging to much slower SATA SSD's.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
AntonioManuel

Post by AntonioManuel »

Thanks to all. I will analyze the exposed facts. I will definitely go for a i3 instead AMD.

I will give you feedback on my choice, and/or even post a reply for more clarification.

Thanks for the help.
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145

Return to “Presales”