TVS-882T: Thunderbolt networking is broken on Windows 10 Pro 1903

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
HiTach
Starting out

Re: TVS-882T: Thunderbolt networking is broken on Windows 10 Pro 1903

Post by HiTach »

I concur, the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" made the difference for me too, using my laptop which is up to date with Windows 10 x64 1909.
I had to select an alternate network interface (network port) from the drop-down list of Home network Connections, and it seems it doesn't matter if the port is connected, or not.
Thunderbolt read/write file transfers have not failed since.

Thanks themannyram, for your tip off here!
Workstation DAS/NAS: TVS-872XT i5 16GB QuTS Hero 5.x + 2x NB 12-P fans
2x1TB Samsung 970 EVO plus RAID1 w/EK WB M.2 heatsinks
8x20TB Seagate Exos X22 RAID6 112TB Thin volume
1x20Gbe Qnap Thunderbolt 3 card, 1x40Gbe Mellanox DAS network connection, 10Gbe local virtual switch
Backup NAS: TVS-872XT i5 16GB QTS 5.x + 2x NB 12-P fans
8x10TB WD Gold RAID6 54TB Thick volume w/snapshots
1x40Gbe Qnap Thunderbolt 3 card, 1x40Gbe + SFP+/RJ45 for local 10gbe virtual switch
LAN switch 10Gbe(2)/1Gbe(8) NETGEAR Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX)
metaldave
Starting out

Re: Thunderbolt networking is broken on Windows 10 Pro 1903

Post by metaldave »

That's a crazy workaround. I cannot believe you happened to stumble upon that, but the tip is very appreciated, @themannyram. This would also provide something for Microsoft to look at (and see if they can figure out how the permissions relate).

Incidentally, QNAP Support has thrown-in the towel on this one. I received the following response a few weeks back:
The issue wouldnt be on our end, it would have to be fixed from Microsofts end, I have word that our devs have had a ticket with them but they have not given me that information unfortunately. ultimately it has to be fixed from Microsofts side.
I'll forward the information that @themannyram provided, and we'll see if they pass that along to the developers.
scarbrtj
New here

Post by scarbrtj »

Hi all I am having problems with my 1282T3 and TB3 in Windows 10 versions... any version past 1809. So I too have updating turned off. If anyone is still monitoring this,

I concur, the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" made the difference for me too, using my laptop which is up to date with Windows 10 x64 1909.
I had to select an alternate network interface (network port) from the drop-down list of Home network Connections

What I don't see that's obvious is the "alternate network interface (network port) from the drop-down list of Home network Connections" part. Can someone elaborate on that. I have the checkmark box for "allow other network users" and another chechmark box below that "allow other network users to control or disable..." and then a settings button which allows me to choose "services" between 1700.... 1708. If that makes sense. Checking "allow other network users" doesn't allow TB3 networking to work for me.

Thanks in advance.
QNAP: thunderbolt 3 networking not working for TB3 devices in Windows 10 current versions is kinda bad. This should be high on your priority list and more talked about IMHO.
mattchandronait
New here

Post by mattchandronait »

WHAT THE?? This worked for me, too! Thank you, @themannyram!

A few further issues and solutions for me:
  1. Checking those boxes and choosing a connection broke my connection to the Internet. Fortunately, my motherboard has two network jacks, so I was able to get around that issue by just plugging in another cable. Is there perhaps something I'm doing wrong, here?
I'm not sure if #2 is related to changing the settings as per @themannyram's instructions, but doing this series of tasks has enabled me to use my QNAP at expected TB3 speeds and basically just treat it like a large hard drive mounted directly to my machine--which was my goal from the beginning.

My QNAP arrived literally just today, and I was contemplating sending it back until I ran across this forum post. After Drobo utterly failed me a little over a year ago, I'd begun to despair I'd never have a decent direct-attached-storage option and all your hard work here from all of you saved me enormous headache and LOTS of time. So, though I'd post just to say thank you and to elaborate a little bit on the additional issue I came across.
mattchandronait
New here

Post by mattchandronait »

Check that. It DOESN'T work. It worked last night. Now it does not. I've tried resetting all my settings back to what they were originally and then doing what @themannyram called out. No nice. I simply sit at 0% uploads and it fails. It seems like there's no good way to solve this until Microsoft does their fix.
nagapow
Starting out

Post by nagapow »

themannyram wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 am I was having the same problem but I did something that fixed the problem.

If you go to: Network and Sharing center --> Change adapter Settings --> Double click on your Thunderbolt Networking Device --> and then click on properties --> and then go to the Sharing Tab--> and under "Internet connection sharing", check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" --> Select Your home Network and check "Allow other network users ect...."

After i finally was able to transfer files.

Make sure to assign folder permissions to your computer in your qnap under "Microsoft Networking host access" setting in your Qnap.

Not sure if this works for others but thats what solved it for me under Windows 10 Pro 1909.
OMG... thank you for this... just ran into this problem and found this thread. I was so bummed out when the TB3 didnt work and i thought it was my cable and was about to buy another one off amazon.... I am on 1909 and symptom are the same as those described already in this thread.

I had to select an unused ethernet port in the home network dropdown. if i select my wifi it will break internet connection for my PC...

Where can we raise a ticket with microsoft for them to fix this issue?
buggz
Starting out

Post by buggz »

While I will have to check information and settings tomorrow, going to bed now, I received a new TVS-872XT last week.
While testing settings, etc. all week long, I have had no TB3 issues.
Asrock MB, with Asrock TB3 card, windows 10 1903.
I will fill in the details tomorrow, night...
buggz
Starting out

Post by buggz »

I just checked this:
Network and Sharing center --> Change adapter Settings --> Double click on your Thunderbolt Networking Device --> and then click on properties --> and then go to the Sharing Tab--> and under "Internet connection sharing", check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" --> Select Your home Network and check "Allow other network users ect...."

They were NOT selected on my system.
Works okay.

Perhaps it could be a driver issue?
This is the driver I have been using successfully, long before I got my NAS.
I remember updating to this driver from the driver that Asrock provided.

System Drivers
nhi Thunderbolt(TM) Controller c:\windows\system32\drivers\tbt81x.sys Kernel Driver
tbtmpdrv Thunderbolt(TM) Networking c:\windows\system32\drivers\tp2p81x.sys Kernel Driver

Loaded Modules
Thunderbolt 16.3.61.14 439.23 KB (449,768 bytes) 3/16/2017 09:59 Not Available c:\program files (x86)\intel\thunderbolt software\thunderbolt.exe

Services
Thunderbolt(TM) Service ThunderboltService Running Manual Own Process "c:\program files (x86)\intel\thunderbolt software\tbtsvc.exe" Normal LocalSystem 0
buggz
Starting out

Post by buggz »

One other thing to note, I am using the expen$ive Qnap TB3 cable.
I bought mine from Adorma, cheaper than buying from Qnap direct.
gorkme
Starting out

Post by gorkme »

Hello. Thank you guys for this topic.
I'm not alone))

My Config:
1. asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 (BIOS tested on 2.20 and 2.30 with enable thunderbolt option, and different motherboard asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE)
2. Thunderbolt 3 AIC R2.0 (tested on PCIe port 2 and 3 with connected to AIC port), also tested with GC-TITAN RIDGE (Rev. 1.0)
3. Intel i9 7920x and i9 7900x
4. win 10 pro 64 last update 2004 and downgraded version win pro 64 1809
5. Intel Thunderbolt driver ver:17.4.77.400 (and other different drivers from asrock gigbyte ect.)
6. Apple thunderbolt 3 cable
7. NAS qnap TVS-882BRT3 (+64gb +i7 7700 +wd red pro 12*6)

What's going on:
1. qnap perfectly work with my MacBook pro 13
2. asrock aic card on windows perfectly work with Samsung t5
3. BUT qnap with windows work without this:
If you go to: Network and Sharing center --> Change adapter Settings --> Double click on your Thunderbolt Networking Device --> and then click on properties --> and then go to the Sharing Tab--> and under "Internet connection sharing", check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" --> Select Your home Network and check "Allow other network users ect...."
on about 60 mb per second to receive from qnap and 0 mb per second to send
4. after I use quote above speed to receive from qnap is about the same 60 mb\s and not stable and about 500 mb\s to send.

Qnap why did you forgot windows users?
We are work fine with you for a long time on 10 gbe speed and when we want to upgrade, spend a lot of money to hardware upgrade and then have surprised that this technic isn't work. Tell us please then you fix it?

Thank you!
Regards,
Kirill.

ps from Russia with love <3
qnap tvs-882brt3 | 64gb ram | wd red pro 12tb x6 | evo pro 970 512 gb
QNAP FIX THUNDERBOLT 3 CONNECTION ON WINDOWS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
mikespc
First post

Post by mikespc »

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of people here who have raised this issue and feel extremely unhappy with Qnaps’s response.

I purchased my Qnap TB3 NAS (TVS-x72xt) in November 2019 and experienced the same problem with broken Thunderbolt networking from day 1 and tried many things to fix it including replacing the motherboard/TB3 connection on my PC which of course didn’t work.

At the time there wasn’t much information available about the problem however, on the Qnap support teams recommendation (who blamed Microsoft), I rolled back to win 10 pro build 1809 which fixed the problem. I then turned off all Windows 10 updates and assumed the problem would be resolved in the near future.
Fast forward to June 2020 and I started getting notifications from Windows 10 that build 1809 would no longer be supported and I would be forced to upgrade.
I contacted Qnap support again to check if the problem (which by this point was widely reported online) had been resolved in the latest build of Windows 10 (2004) and to my shock they replied that it had not been fixed and referred me to this exchange they had with Microsoft about the issue back in September 2019 and said this is the information they have from Microsoft:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking

In the exchange Qnap squabbles with the Microsoft representative about having to pay for a support ticket! The Microsoft rep responds that the fee will be refunded if it turns out to be a system problem. And that’s it.

How does a company like Qnap not have a direct relationship with Microsoft to resolves such a serious issue?!

One of their flagship product features is broken with the most commonly used operating system. They should really tackle this problem like their reputation depends on it, because it does.

It is simply not acceptable for Qnap to put the burden back on their customers to communicate with Microsoft and each other about this problem.

I have read the suggested workarounds on this forum (which work for some people but not for others) but I'm not in a position to test these. I wasted too much time trying to figure this out last November and can afford to do that again.

We are now coming up on a year since Qnap first became aware of this problem and they continue to sell their TB3 networking products as if they work with Windows 10.

Qnap need to step up, respond to this issue, and sort it out now.
buggz
Starting out

Post by buggz »

I still find it strange that I have had ZERO problems from the start, while many others have these problems.
Especially after applying m$ updates.
I can only wonder what the difference(s) are?

I do *NOT* have m$ autoupdates on.
And NEVER for drivers, or other non m$ software.
I do updates manually vi SledgeHammer.
I *ONLY* have security updates applied, NO others.

I run anti-spyware/telemetry apps, WinAero, OOShutup, Blackbird, etc...
I have minimal services and applications running.

My NAS, TVS-872XT, has never, and will never be on any internet link.
gorkme
Starting out

Post by gorkme »

Can you send a screenshot of transfer speed and your computer configuration please?
qnap tvs-882brt3 | 64gb ram | wd red pro 12tb x6 | evo pro 970 512 gb
QNAP FIX THUNDERBOLT 3 CONNECTION ON WINDOWS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
buggz
Starting out

Post by buggz »

Let's see if this works...

Not that fast witht the NAS via TB3, I guess it's the 5400 RPM HDDS?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by buggz on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
buggz
Starting out

Post by buggz »

The external NVME test was well before I got my NAS, and an older widoze 10 build.

I upgraded the NAS OS from the received 4.4.3.1354 to 4.4.1.1122 via TB3 link.
Last edited by buggz on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “File Sharing”