New User to QNAP

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
DDaigle
New here

New User to QNAP

Post by DDaigle »

So I have starting building up my TS-1635ax. Up until recently, I have had a couple Synology devices at work (not my choice) and now I have this.

In getting started, I noticed a few things after i copied all the data from my old Buffalo LS 421 to here. Apparently the first volume has all kinds of system things on it.

I had not planned on this so here is what i have done. I have bought some other smaller SSD drives to become my 'system' volume.
I have 2 10TB drives (where system is) and 2 3TB drives (where i have data from my LS).

I plan to put the two SSD drives in and make them my system volume. I have noticed from all the searching that there are no easy ways to move some things. So the real question is this. How can i reinstall this box onto the new SSD Drives and preserve the data on the 3TB Volume?

Do i sync the data and have the the sync program 'eject' them when they are done? Does this save the volume such that i could bring it back and restore?

I would 'prefer' to keep as much of the configuration as possible but the REAL requirement is a way to save the data on those 3TB drives when this is done.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New User to QNAP

Post by dolbyman »

you can always start the system from scratch and restore from backups (always external backups)

I don't think your will gain much from installing the system on SSD's, what is the use case of the machine? (I would just install system and files on a large RAID and be good)
DDaigle
New here

Post by DDaigle »

I guess its an OCD thing, I wanted it separate.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If the machine used for fileshare and backups target, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about any special setup. If there is default shares you do not like, you can always hide them from SMB enumeration

Return to “Backup & Restore”