SOLVED: how to share files between VM & NAS folders? (Win XP VM)

timskrastins
Starting out

SOLVED: how to share files between VM & NAS folders? (Win XP VM)

Post by timskrastins »

I'm setting up my first Virtual Machine and am at a loss trying to figure out how the VM can access files on the NAS.

For example, I have Windows XP installed but want to get Service Pack 3 installed as an update from an .exe file in my 'Public' folder...but I don't see how the VM can access my 'Public' folder (or any other for that matter).

I've set up the Ethernet virtual switch to be 'bridged' so it's not isolated.
Last edited by timskrastins on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS-453A
16GB RAM
4x 6TB WD Red, RAID 5
Firmware 5.0.0
browellm
Know my way around

Re: how to share files between VM & NAS folders? (Win XP VM)

Post by browellm »

Just make sure you login to the VM with a user account matches one with appropriate share rights already created on the NAS. Think of your VM exactly as any other client machine on the network.
TS-451
timskrastins
Starting out

Post by timskrastins »

Thanks. I think maybe I need more basic help...you say to be sure to log into the VM with a user account matching.... but does that mean creating a Windows XP account that matches my NAS account? (did that...still don't see where to access files on my NAS) or do you mean to go to the Virtualization Station:Account Management and create a user there (also done...but don't see anything that is asking me for this username/pw when I log into the VM over VNC or through the web interface...it just launches and asks for my VNC password).
TS-453A
16GB RAM
4x 6TB WD Red, RAID 5
Firmware 5.0.0
timskrastins
Starting out

Post by timskrastins »

Ok...scratch the above...I think I get what you're saying, your last sentence helps a bunch.
So I guess the issue is more on how to connect to a QNAP from Windows XP...I try adding a 'network place' and upon browsing I get 'Mshome' but then nothing after that. 'Microsoft Networking' is turned on in my control panel.
I'm guessing Windows XP is just really old and needs something special to connect...gotta figure what that is.
TS-453A
16GB RAM
4x 6TB WD Red, RAID 5
Firmware 5.0.0
timskrastins
Starting out

Post by timskrastins »

boom. got it.

Start: Run: (type \\IP address of my NAS) e.g. \\192.168.0.1
because my Windows XP account is the same credentials as an account on my NAS, I'm in.

Thanks!
TS-453A
16GB RAM
4x 6TB WD Red, RAID 5
Firmware 5.0.0
buggz
Starting out

Re: SOLVED: how to share files between VM & NAS folders? (Win XP VM)

Post by buggz »

so, you HAVE to have a virtual switch for networking to work to access the NAS file shares?
I guess I have to read about virtual switch...
OneCD
Guru

Re: SOLVED: how to share files between VM & NAS folders? (Win XP VM)

Post by OneCD »

buggz wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:13 am so, you HAVE to have a virtual switch for networking to work to access the NAS file shares?
Hey @buggz. :)

Please don't revive old topics. If no-one has responded in over 12 months, that topic is stale and should be left alone.

This topic was last active 4.5 years ago, so it's now very stale. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Virtualization Station”