How to share internet access through my 10Gbe connection?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
whistlerdan
Starting out

How to share internet access through my 10Gbe connection?

Post by whistlerdan »

Here's my setup:

Mac Mini with 10GbE port - static IP: 192.168.2.XX / 255.255.255.0
TVS-472XT - 10GbE port - Static IP: 192.168.2.XX / 255.255.255.0

This part of the equation seems to be working fine. Network & Virtual Switch application in QTS shows 10GbE connection.

TVS-472XT - 1GbE port - Static IP: 192.168.1.XX / 255.255.255.0

This 1GbE port is connected to my internet router. Since I'm able to remotely access the NAS through that IP, this seems to be working fine as well.

However, what is not working, is the internet connection is not getting to my Mac Mini. I know that's because the two connections are on different subnets... I did this because I was trying to follow some instructions about this elsewhere, but I guess it lost me at some point.

My understanding is that a 10GbE switch would fix all of this if I wanted to spend some money. In that case I would connect the router to the switch, the switch to the 1GbE port of the NAS and the switch to the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini would have both an internet connection and a 10GbE connection to the NAS.

But I have also read a few things where people allude to being able to do this with some sort of bridged connection, since mine is a relatively simple single computer setup. The problem is that I'm exactly 3 days into discovering the world of NAS and networking, and I don't understand enough of the terminology to even know where to begin. Does it have something to do with the Virtual Switch settings?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to share internet access through my 10Gbe connection?

Post by dolbyman »

the mac mini has no secondary lan or wifi ?

if so..use that for your gateway (internet)
whistlerdan
Starting out

Post by whistlerdan »

Nope, those aren't ideal options in my situation.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a USB LAN or WLAN adapter for a handful of bucks would fix that (at least I think those are compatible with mac)
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

Two options:
Create a switch by selecting the two NICs on your 472XT. This will result in a change to your IP addresses as you will be bridged.
The second option is to route across the two NICs - see this thread viewtopic.php?f=185&t=155409
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

and Mr. Whistlerdan can't spend $25 bucks for a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 to Ethernet adapter, which will just plug into one of the four Thunderbolt 3 ports on his Mac Mini, so he can now have a dedicated
1G wired connection for internet, while leaving his 10G connection alone for dedicated 10G applications to his QNAP. Come on.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
whistlerdan
Starting out

Post by whistlerdan »

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05 pm and Mr. Whistlerdan can't spend $25 bucks for a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 to Ethernet adapter, which will just plug into one of the four Thunderbolt 3 ports on his Mac Mini, so he can now have a dedicated
1G wired connection for internet, while leaving his 10G connection alone for dedicated 10G applications to his QNAP. Come on.

Bob Zelin
Sure can spend that. In fact I already have the Apple version so I spent more than that. What is your point? My question was specific, and I am very clearly looking for other options as I have stated. If you can't contribute in a helpful way, save it!

I had other issues caused by the adapter, but chose not to go into my whole life story in this thread to try and keep it succinct. The other issues were not related to the QNAP NAS in any way, so they don't need to be delved into on this board.

What you have said is akin to someone asking how to bake a cake without eggs, and you just telling them to "use eggs". How helpful. :roll:
whistlerdan
Starting out

Post by whistlerdan »

TeePee3NAS wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:09 am Two options:
Create a switch by selecting the two NICs on your 472XT. This will result in a change to your IP addresses as you will be bridged.
The second option is to route across the two NICs - see this thread viewtopic.php?f=185&t=155409
Awesome! Thanks for your help :DD
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

welcome

Return to “Miscellaneous”