how to setup TS-453be raid 5 pool with snapshot functionality?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
emklap
New here

how to setup TS-453be raid 5 pool with snapshot functionality?

Post by emklap »

Hi,

I'm new here and preparing the installation of my new TS-453be-8GB. :)

I will mainly use the NAS for
a) File storage, (photo's Library (1.5 TB) , music Library (500 GB) , some general files <100 GB)
b) LMS (Logitech Media Server) to feed in my Squeezebox touch (2x)
c) Centralized storage for PC applications (moving the "documents" folders to the NAS)

My idea is to install 3 x 4TB disks in a RAID5 configuration. I leave 1 bay empty for future use I haven't discovered yet.
Use the Snapshots functionality to be able capture file changes and the ability to restore to a previous version.
Backup will be done to a 2nd NAS and External USB drive (RAID is not a backup).

To set this up I wonder what is the best approach
Option-1) Create a thin volume, consuming the entire storage pool and let the QNAP software manage the data size used by the volume and Snapshots

Option-2) Create a thick volume of ca 6TB and leave 2TB unused so that it is available for the storage of Snapshots.
Question is if 2TB is not much for the snapshots (an average of 8GB for each of the 256 snapshots)?

Option-3) Setup 1 thick volume of ca 8TB. install a 4th disk of 1TB that is only used for the snapshots (if this possible)?
Question Is this setup with mixed disk sizes possible?

I lean toward Option-1. What are your thoughts? Is this a good (workable) setup or do you suggest otherwise.
I am still using 1GBE wired LAN for my main computers, but want to upgrade to 5/10Gbe in a few years time (hhne HW is more widely available and cheaper)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: how to setup TS-453be raid 5 pool with snapshot functionality?

Post by dolbyman »

not sure what that single dirve is supposed to to, (single drives a bad idea in most cases) but you can always expand the raid with an extra drive later

1) A think volume would only grow when it's used by data (hence the name) unless you reserve space (guaranteed for snapshots) keep an eye on the data size, so it does not grow into the snapshot space
2) depends how how much data was changed since the last snapshot was taken, if no data changed, the snapshots will be very small
3) was asked the other day, I don't think you can have a dedicated snapshot pool/drive (like you can do with windows VSS)

I would do a thick volume of whatever size you need for the data, then see if the snapshot space left is sufficient for the amount of snapshot you want (if not, just expand the pool later with another 4TB drive) and don't forget the external backups (snapshots are no replacement for backups)
emklap
New here

Post by emklap »

Thanks for your answer.

I know a volume on 1 disk as not advised. However, my idea was to use the 4th disk maybe for a replication of the snapshots. I sume that (especially in a thick setup) are not protected for disk failure by RAID5. So I could install a small (320GB disk) just for backups of my snapshots.

I will play around with the virula sanebox tool on the net.
https://www.qnap.com/nl-nl/live-demo/
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

never do any backups inside of you nas ..and a single tiny drive would be a waste ..why not another same size drive for extra snapshot pool space ?
emklap
New here

Post by emklap »

With 8TB I have sufficent space and a 4th drive is a waste of money an material.
And the small disk is lying around doing nothing. Why not make good use of it :)

My current nas is 11 years old and has only one drive so the new setup is already a big improvement.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

not gonna fight you on this, you wanted advice

do whatever you want .. your NAS

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”