Beginner's Network Book

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
RHawk
New here

Beginner's Network Book

Post by RHawk »

Does anyone know of a beginner's book for creating a network using a Qnap TS-219 as a network server. I need to create a network with more than 20 connections so I can't use Windows 10. I don't want to use Microsoft Server because it's too expensive for my needs.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Beginner's Network Book

Post by dolbyman »

a network with 20 connections ?

what does that mean ? a simple /24 network can support more than 250 IPs in it ... where do you see your restriction here ?
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hello RHawk -
this is the way it works in 2020. I don't care if it's QNAP, Synology, or Windows Server. You can either watch YouTube videos on how to setup a QNAP, or you can hire someone to set it up for you.
If you have 20 connections, you need at least a 24 port 1G Ethernet switch. You will run a wire from your internet router to this switch, run an ethernet cable from your QNAP into this Ethernet switch, and run 20 wires from all 20 computers to this ethernet switch. IF you intend on having more people connect in the future, buy a bigger 48 port switch.

SO - now you have all this plugged in. What do you do now ? You do just like we all do - you go to YouTube and look up something like "beginners guide to QNAP", or "how to set up a QNAP" and you watch the videos. There are probably a lot of videos, and you watch all of them (or a lot of them) and you take notes. Then you power up the QNAP, get into your user interface on the QNAP, and do the setup.
And if you say "I don't have the time for that" - or "I am not technical" - well, you HIRE someone who is technical that can do it for you.

And if this was not a QNAP - let's say it was a Synology, or Windows Server, or even a Ubiquiti WiFi system for all 20 computers - it's the same answer. You either watch YouTube videos and learn yourself, or your hire someone to do it for you.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
RHawk
New here

Beginner's Network Book

Post by RHawk »

Is there a book that guides a beginner in networking through setting up a network using a Qnap NAS?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* merged with your previous topic *
RHawk wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 am Is there a book that guides a beginner in networking through setting up a network using a Qnap NAS?
I've never seen one. Bob has already advised you how to proceed.

Learning networking is a long, slow process. There's no "easy-way" out of this, so stop looking for one. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”