Set Reservation on QNAP DHCP server

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
BigPop
New here

Set Reservation on QNAP DHCP server

Post by BigPop »

I have seen several old posts but no definitive answer if a reservation can be set on the built-in QNAP DHCP server. I would really like to move the DHCP functions on my network over to my QNAP NAS but I need to assign some reservations for MAC to static IP and cannot find how. I do not mind using a command line configuration if needed. Any help would be appreciated if this can be done.

Please - no "Why would you want to do that?" responses. Lets just say I am very network fluent and I need this. I have seen the Dnsmasq product for QNAP and reservations can be done there, but the built-in DHCP looks to be more light weight and Dnsmasq for QNAP has not been updated in quite a while.

Thanks in advance for the help.
bigpop
TVS-951X running QTS 4.4.2.1320 on 10G network
OneCD
Guru

Re: Set Reservation on QNAP DHCP server

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

@Prometeion's only post on this forum may help: viewtopic.php?p=733597#p733597

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BigPop
New here

Post by BigPop »

Thanks very much OneCD. I did see that post but the reservation is still not explained. I have the same issue that was not resolved in that post: "What Client Table?"
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BigPop wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:49 am I have the same issue that was not resolved in that post: "What Client Table?"
I've just added to that topic. There appears to be a UI bug that doesn't enable the magnifying glass icon in the 'Actions' column immediately after adding a new DHCP server. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BigPop
New here

Post by BigPop »

Thanks much OneCD! If there is a UI bug it seems like I am the one to find it lately.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BigPop wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:29 am If there is a UI bug it seems like I am the one to find it lately.
QNAP should hire you as a beta-tester. :D

BigPop
New here

Post by BigPop »

I hope this is the right location for this question:

First - Thanks again to OneCD for the previous help. I was able to move all my DHCP functions to the QNAP without issue once I got past the display bug on the first try at client table access. So DHCP is up and running with reservations and all requests for IP assignment are working fine. QNAP built-in DHCP server is handling a lot of requests just fine and the client table is pretty large. No issues there... EXCEPT

I brought in a new device yesterday afternoon and fired it up. It gets to the point where it sends a DHCP assignment request and just hangs. Then over my shoulder I hear the drives spinning up on my QNAP NAS. After a few seconds the DHCP request is fulfilled by the QNAP and the boot process on the new device continues.
After some testing I find that, sure enough, the drives will spin down as expected on the QNAP and DHCP requests wait until they can spin back up and the RAID group comes online. I assume the volume with the system files needs to wake up for this function to occur.

I have been researching moving the OS to an SSD volume but even with the system volume there it seems that all HDDs may need to spin up and not just those few SSDs. Now in retrospect, relocating my DHCP server might not have been a great idea after all. Sorry in advance for the long winded note here.

I have all kinds of thoughts about VMs on SSD storage for DNS and DHCP functions but waiting for drives to spin up is a project killer for those. Maybe some sharp forum folks can help me again here?

Thanks in advance
QNAP TVS-951X running 4.4.3.1354, 10G network attach, 5 HDD in RAID 5 with two volumes, 4 SSD in RAID 5 with one volume, No Qtier
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Personally, I'm not a fan of drive spin-down and back-up again inside a NAS. From my travels on the Internet, it seems to shorten the life of the drives by a lot. NAS-rated drives are built to run continuously.

I suspect any savings made in lower electricity bills are completely overwhelmed by the requirement to replace drives more often. ;)

Sorry, I'm unable to assist further. :(

Return to “Miscellaneous”