Home Folder function - worth using?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
mrbungle
Starting out

Home Folder function - worth using?

Post by mrbungle »

I tried to manually create a 'Home' folder and the system didn't allow it. This is when I learnt of the 'Home Folder' function that I'm not using but appears to prevent anyone using the name it would use.

I'm interested to hear user opinions about whether 'Home Folder' is worth using. Most likely there will only be 2 people accessing the NAS - me (with full access) and one other who will access Multimedia (possibly as readonly) and a folder for their own docs (write access). Their access will be through Microsoft Networking only. I would configure the user to have access only to the folders mentioned.

It doesn't seem worth using the 'Home Folder' function when I could manually create folders for the 2 users. I'm not allowed to use 'Home' but could use something else such as 'Users'.

Do people do the same thing - manually create an equivalent structure and not use the 'Home Folder' function? Or is there some extra utility to it that I haven't realised?
spile
Been there, done that

Re: Home Folder function - worth using?

Post by spile »

I came to the conclusion that the home folders were just confusing and unnecessary. I created individual users with appropriate shared folders. I do not regret that decision.

Return to “File Sharing”