Qtier issue with TS-473

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pingjockey
Starting out

Qtier issue with TS-473

Post by pingjockey »

I currently have a single storage pool with qtier enabled, 4 x 8 TB HDD's in raid 5 and 2 x 480GB SATA M.2 drives raid 1. The pool has two thick volumes and a block based Iscsi lun.

Yesterday, while attempting to format an EXTERNAL USB HDD one of the members of the RAID 1 array became disconnected from the array. I attempted to resync and then to add back to the raid array but was unable to do.

I then attempted to remove the qtier from the storage pool but was unable to do so.

Both of the m.2 ssd's show as functional but I am not sure why I can't add the member back to the array or remove qtier from the storage pool.

I know that qtier will allow you to remove a SSD array from the storage pool assuming everything is healthy but does it not work if the array isn't healthy?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Qtier issue with TS-473

Post by dolbyman »

you can remove the tier if you have enough pool space free to destage on it ...is that the case ?
pingjockey
Starting out

Post by pingjockey »

I already moved down all the data and the only option I have is to remove the pool as the other option of remove ultra-high speed tier is greyed out.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

how to you manually move the data down from a tier ?

if there is enough pool space you can remove the tier..nothing else that can be done manually
pingjockey
Starting out

Post by pingjockey »

Support said that if the flash array isn't healthy you can not remove the tier... So I backed everything up and blew out the storage space and just finished rebuilding it. This is what I get for using cheap SSD's for qtier and now have a pair of WD red m.2 ssd's I will be using wd red drives going forward.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”