QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
axemanozh
New here

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by axemanozh »

Another user who just came across this issue today with a TS-853 Pro. Stuck on system booting with or without hard drives installed, only two of the drives (bay 2 and 3) have green LEDs when plugged in. Attempting to get ahold of a USB keyboard and external monitor for further troubleshooting.
axemanozh
New here

Post by axemanozh »

axemanozh wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:00 am Another user who just came across this issue today with a TS-853 Pro. Stuck on system booting with or without hard drives installed, only two of the drives (bay 2 and 3) have green LEDs when plugged in. Attempting to get ahold of a USB keyboard and external monitor for further troubleshooting.
Just an update to my prior post. I couldn’t get any output from the HDMI port connecting a monitor, and no luck getting into the BIOS with the keyboard to do a restore. I ended up buying a TS-873 and moving my drives over. When I booted up on the new unit, the logs say the system fans failed and the unit overheated. I’m not sure on that as the fans seemed to spin up fine when I was trying to revive it, but clearly the motherboard fried somehow as it wouldn’t recognize any of the disks. I’m all set on the new unit now, but only getting about 5.5 years service time out of a roughly $1000 NAS was definitely a bit disappointing.
NAS_Q_User
Starting out

Post by NAS_Q_User »

Short Update:

of course QNAP is refusing to admit to anything that may point to them being responsible for the blame.

Since my QNAP doesn't give any output via HDMI and doesn't react to the Keyboard (I did a NumLock Test), I conclude that my Hardware is fried.

I did notice that just prior to the Hardware failure, I updated to the Firmware 4.4.3.1354 Build 20200702.

Has anyone else got a correlation between a Firmware Update and the Unit failing soon afterwards or, getting the Fan error within 24 hours?

I am not saying that QNAP did anything deliberately but this seems too much of a coincidence to me.

Just ordered the TS-453D
tym1200
New here

Post by tym1200 »

NAS_Q_User wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:29 pm Short Update:

of course QNAP is refusing to admit to anything that may point to them being responsible for the blame.

Since my QNAP doesn't give any output via HDMI and doesn't react to the Keyboard (I did a NumLock Test), I conclude that my Hardware is fried.

I did notice that just prior to the Hardware failure, I updated to the Firmware 4.4.3.1354 Build 20200702.

Has anyone else got a correlation between a Firmware Update and the Unit failing soon afterwards or, getting the Fan error within 24 hours?

I am not saying that QNAP did anything deliberately but this seems too much of a coincidence to me.

Just ordered the TS-453D

Exact same problem here with a TS-853 Pro (8x4TB WD Red / Raid 6)
Updated to Firmware 4.4.3.1354 Build 20200702 and all of the fans were showing 4 million something RPM.
A few days later the system rebooted itself and is now stuck on the booting screen and non responsive. I am positive it is because of this latest firmware update as this unit has been very reliable until now.
axemanozh
New here

Post by axemanozh »

tym1200 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Just ordered the TS-453D

Updated to Firmware 4.4.3.1354 Build 20200702 and all of the fans were showing 4 million something RPM.
A few days later the system rebooted itself and is now stuck on the booting screen and non responsive. I am positive it is because of this latest firmware update as this unit has been very reliable until now.
Exactly my scenario, only 6 drives instead of 8. I wasn't able to perform a restore or get any video output from HDMI so I had to junk the unit. It was rock solid before the latest firmware update.
tym1200
New here

Post by tym1200 »

axemanozh wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Just ordered the TS-453D

Exactly my scenario, only 6 drives instead of 8. I wasn't able to perform a restore or get any video output from HDMI so I had to junk the unit. It was rock solid before the latest firmware update.
I have a ticket open with QNAP to see what they have to say about it. If they can't provide any information I will probably buy a Synology box and restore my data to it.
NAS_Q_User
Starting out

Post by NAS_Q_User »

tym1200 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:18 pm
axemanozh wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Just ordered the TS-453D

I have a ticket open with QNAP to see what they have to say about it. If they can't provide any information I will probably buy a Synology box and restore my data to it.
The reply will probably be the same as mine: you have a hardware defect so the Firmware can't be made responsible.

And that they can calm me regarding a Series defect as QNAP knows nothing about it.

The last statement is unfortunately not surprising since QNAP never visits the Forum.
bilak
Starting out

Post by bilak »

Anohter user with 453-Pro here. Today I just returned from vacation and I can see ontly SYSTEM BOOTING. Will try those instructions later but after those messages which I read here I'm affraid it won't boot up.
tym1200
New here

Post by tym1200 »

Update: I had a support call with QNAP on Friday - I let them log into the NAS with me and see the things going on with them and I shared some pictures of the front of the unit where the drives are lit up red and the "system booting" message is stuck. He said he was escalating the case to their development team. Will post an update when it's provided to me.
derekmcl
New here

Post by derekmcl »

Hi all
Another one here. Ts-453-mini
Early hours of Saturday morning I got a series of "Fan Fail" emails. When I looked at it later in the day. All 4 Bay lights were green and fan was running, but it was completely unresponsive. Not on Qfinder.
Tried removing drives and resetting, no POST beep, no HDMI output. Refitted drives, and restarted again. It is now showing red lights on 1 and 4.

Anyone had any joy from Qnap?

I had been considering upgrading anyway, but not inclined to fork out more to QNAP if this is the likely outcome. On the other hand I guess a new Qnap would be the best way of saving my Data.
Not sure what to do for the best.

Derek
NAS_Q_User
Starting out

Post by NAS_Q_User »

Even though I am seriously pi**ed at QNAP for how they are handling this, I didn't want to loose all my Data so I ordered a new QNAP TS-453D which arrived today.

On the positive side all I had to do was place the old Drives in it in the same order and everything was up and running again in under 20 Minutes.

Still hoping that QNAP will admit to there being a considerable probability that the Firmware was responsible even if non-intentional.
bilak
Starting out

Post by bilak »

Today I've tried to remove all disks, connect display to hdmi and keyboard to usb. But after start the keyboard wasn't probably recognised because the led on it was not lighting and even after F11 pressing nothing happened and nothing was visible on the screen.
Then I've tried to reattach the disks (3x 6TB WD RED, 1SSD) and only the led on the ssd was red.
I've contacted the qnap support, will let you know when they respond.
bilak
Starting out

Post by bilak »

Just trying to find out what could be wrong I found this videos (they are Danish and I also don't understand that :D)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqajw75Il68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98NN89t ... Zv&index=4

So probably failure could be related to bad power supply.
axemanozh
New here

Post by axemanozh »

tym1200 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 pm Update: I had a support call with QNAP on Friday - I let them log into the NAS with me and see the things going on with them and I shared some pictures of the front of the unit where the drives are lit up red and the "system booting" message is stuck. He said he was escalating the case to their development team. Will post an update when it's provided to me.
Keep us posted. Too late for me I guess as I've already discarded my old unit but with all these reports of everyone having this issue at roughly the same time on the same or similar hardware, it definitely seems to be more than a coincidence. I imagine there are lots of others out there having this problem who haven't posted to this forum as well.
Bagus01
First post

Post by Bagus01 »

Same issue here with a TS453-pro systeem booting, have tried almost everything what is described but nothing helps.
Hopefully Qnap will come with a good solution for every one on this forum with the same issue.
Otherwise they will loose a lot of customers.

Return to “Users' Corner”