Is there a way to tune the QM2 fan speed/settings?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Nico.Laus
First post

Is there a way to tune the QM2 fan speed/settings?

Post by Nico.Laus »

In my in TS 251-B NAS, I have a QM2-2P10G1TA card which comes with "A quiet cooling module (heatsink and smart fan)" which actually isn't quiet / too smart after all and wanted to explore ways to improve its current behaviour. What I see from the system monitor is that it turns up its fan too 3000rpm when the NVMe SSD temperatures exceed 35°C and below that, I've seen 1600rpm. If I look into the data sheets of my SSDs, they should actually be able to sustain way higher temperatures and at that speed, this mini fan actually makes some really loud noise.

By setting the system (smart) fan settings to manual, I was able to increase its rpms so that the overall internal temps are lower which may get the QM2 fan to the low speed setting. However, I was wondering whether the QM2 fan itself can also be controlled somehow. I didn't find anything in the web interface for that, or was I just bling?

Similarly on the CLI: I found https://github.com/edddeduck/QNAP_Fan_Control which I can probably adapt to make more clever smart fan settings for my system fan but I was wondering whether there was a way to read the QM2 temperatures and then set the fan speed somehow. getsysinfo and other tools I found, did not really seem to include these sensors nor the NVMe SSDs themselves...
mmalyska
First post

Re: Is there a way to tune the QM2 fan speed/settings?

Post by mmalyska »

I have similar problem.
I have TS-251D and qm2-2p10g1ta with two WD Black SSD M.2 PCIe/NVMe(WDS500G3X0C) installed and they have around ~50C(with avg. load around 5%) with thermal pads installed correctly.
This fan is not as quiet as it is advertised. I thought that, with sooo huge copper heatsink it should have lower temps. Any advice on that?
RcTomcat
Starting out

Post by RcTomcat »

Same problem.
I too have a problem with a qm2-2s10G1TA and a WD RED 500GB SSD.
I always have 50-53 degrees on the SSD. As soon as the temp reaches 53 the fan starts to spin up to 6300rpm. Unnecessary in my opinion as 53 is way below any dangerous temperature levels.
qash001
New here

Post by qash001 »

Did you find a solution to this? I recently put a QM2-2P-344 in my TS-453D (Yes I know it only supports Gen2), and frankly with two 256GB Kingston NVMe drives sitting at 34C idle I don't see any reason why the fan even needs to bother doing anything. The unnecessary noise is atrocious.

I used one of the drives in my PC, prior to buying the QM2, under a passively cooled heatsink and it sat comfortably at 32-34C at idle.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

some SSD's just run hotter. I found using a good heatsink (tried and tested) is the way forward

use SilverStone Technology SST-TP02-M2 heatsinks

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=156015&p=759507#p759507
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
paulhampson
First post

Post by paulhampson »

To Toxic17 How could you use a heat sink without removing the existing heat sink and fan combination? If you remove the heat sink and fan combination how do you stop the constant error messages telling you the PCIE fan is unplugged. I tried unplugging the fan, I don't see why it needs to have a fan when the gen 3 nvme ssds are running at pcie gen 2 speeds of the card, but there were constant error messages about the fan being unplugged. If anyone can find a way to disable these error messages, I would be grateful.
Ifti
Getting the hang of things

Post by Ifti »

Did anyone ever find a solution to this??

Also interested in unplugging the fan if possible......

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”