QNAP to discontinue vQTS

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
dolbyman
Guru

QNAP to discontinue vQTS

Post by dolbyman »

https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2020/qnap- ... t-for-vqts

Taipei, Taiwan, August 7, 2020 - QNAP® Systems, Inc. (QNAP) today announced that it is ending support for vQTS and the feature will be removed from Virtualization Station. vQTS virtual machines will not be creatable from Virtualization Station v3.4.6 onwards, but existing vQTS virtual machines will still be usable – only with no future updates or support from QNAP.

Users looking for alternatives to vQTS can utilize QuTScloud, which is a licensed software and available for installation from the Virtualization Station VM Marketplace.

To learn more about QuTScloud, visit https://www.qnap.com/go/solution/qutscloud-hypervisor/.

About QNAP Systems, Inc.

QNAP, named from Quality Network Appliance Provider, is devoted to providing comprehensive solutions from software development, hardware design to in-house manufacturing. Focusing on storage, networking and smart video innovations, we strive to build a technology ecosystem upon subscription-based software and diversified service channels. QNAP envisions NAS as being more than a simple storage and has created a cloud-based networking infrastructure for users to host and develop artificial intelligence analysis, edge computing and data integration on their QNAP solutions.

Media Contacts

marketing@qnap.com
OneCD
Guru

Re: QNAP to discontinue vQTS

Post by OneCD »

Another support method closed to me. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Wow... pandemic must be really having an impact on QNAP based on latest moves they have been making.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
tpenno
New here

Post by tpenno »

Excuse me for jumping in here - I'm a real novice and have a very old TS-341 - old enough that is can't do virtualization. I was going to get a new QNAP and am unsure if this announcement (discontinuing vQTS) means I can't run a VM on a newer QNAP. Is that accurate? (Told you I was a novice).
Thanks in advance
tom
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum. :)

If your new NAS has a version of Virtualization Station earlier than 3.4.6 (or you can find and manually install one), you can still create and use vQTS sessions.

But, this doesn't affect virtual machines in-general. This announcement is only for a specific type of VM provided by QNAP. So, you'll still be able to create and install other OS inside virtual machine images. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

There is no TS-341

There are TS-451 or TS-351 or TS-431
tpenno
New here

Post by tpenno »

sorry TS-431
tpenno
New here

Post by tpenno »

OneCD wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:18 am Hi Tom and welcome to the forum. :)

If your new NAS has a version of Virtualization Station earlier than 3.4.6 (or you can find and manually install one), you can still create and use vQTS sessions.

But, this doesn't affect virtual machines in-general. This announcement is only for a specific type of VM provided by QNAP. So, you'll still be able to create and install other OS inside virtual machine images. ;)
sorry TS-431

Thanks much
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that one does not support virtualization anyways..so no need to worry
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

No, but I think Tom is shopping for a new unit, and wants to make sure it can handle VMs. :)

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

gottcha
tpenno
New here

Post by tpenno »

Thanks very much.

I'm looking at a TS-453D. Seems to get good reviews and it will handle VM's - correct?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

it does handle VMs ...just be aware of the speed limitations of a little celeron processor
tpenno
New here

Post by tpenno »

Thanks - I was concerned about that. Any specific minimum processor level you;d suggest? This is just for home but I do like tinkering.
thx
tom
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

depends on your VM requirements

I'd say .. whatever you would want out of a physical processor + 50% (for the type 2 hypervisor overhead)

A Celeron is fine for small linux machines or 'GUIless' windows stuff, if you want GUI and usable performance, an I5,7 or Ryzen is needed

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”