Which is the best port trunking option?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
ilovethisgame
Starting out

Which is the best port trunking option?

Post by ilovethisgame »

Dear all,

I am currently having a TS-879-RP with dual LAN ports and a Gigabit HP switch, I have enabled the other LAN port,just wondering which port-trunking option below is the best in terms of maximize the bandwidth usage of both LAN ports?

I actually have tested all of the below option, and I found that none of them can increase bandwidth. E.g. When using only one port, I copy the same file of 10GB size from 3 different PCs which are connected to the same Gigabit switch as NAS. The total speed is around 120MB /s. When I use both ports and select any option below, the total speed is still less than 120MB /s. Any advice?

Thanks.

Below are the 6 options available:

Balance-rr (Round-Robin)
Round-Robin mode is good for general purpose load balancing between two Ethernet interfaces. This mode transmits packets in sequential order from the first available slave through the last. Balance-rr provides load balancing and fault tolerance.
Supports static trunking. Make sure static trunking is enabled on the switch.

Balance XOR
Balance XOR balances traffic by splitting up outgoing packets between the Ethernet interfaces, using the same one for each specific destination when possible. It transmits based on the selected transmit hash policy. The default policy is a simple slave count operating on Layer 2 where the source MAC address is coupled with destination MAC address. Alternate transmit policies may be selected via the xmit_hash_policy option. Balance XOR mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Broadcast
Broadcast sends traffic on both network interfaces. This mode provides fault tolerance.

IEEE 802.3ad (Dynamic Link Aggregation)
Dynamic Link Aggregation uses a complex algorithm to aggregate adapters by speed and duplex settings. It utilizes all slaves in the active aggregator according to the 802.3ad specification. Dynamic Link Aggregation mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance but requires a switch that supports IEEE 802.3ad with LACP mode properly configured.
Supports 802.3ad LACP

Balance-tlb (Adaptive Transmit Load Balancing)
Balance-tlb uses channel bonding that does not require any special switch. The outgoing traffic is distributed according to the current load on each Ethernet interface (computed relative to the speed). Incoming traffic is received by the current Ethernet interface. If the receiving Ethernet interface fails, the other slave takes over the MAC address of the failed receiving slave. Balance-tlb mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.
General switches

Balance-alb (Adaptive Load Balancing)
Balance-alb is similar to balance-tlb but also attempts to redistribute incoming (receive load balancing) for IPV4 traffic. This setup does not require any special switch support or configuration. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP negotiation sent by the local system on their way out and overwrites the source hardware address with the unique hardware address of one of the Ethernet interfaces in the bond such that different peers use different hardware address for the server. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.
General switches
A rolling stone does not gather moss
schumaku
Guru

Re: Which is the best port trunking option?

Post by schumaku »

Just cuurious - have configured the switch static resp. dynamic (LACP) accordingly? Just changing the NAS trunking port mode does not chage anything...
kdallas
First post

Post by kdallas »

schumaku wrote:Just cuurious - have configured the switch static resp. dynamic (LACP) accordingly? Just changing the NAS trunking port mode does not chage anything...
Not sure that is strictly true? I mean I'm no expert but the manual clearly states that no special hardware is required unless you're using 802.3ad... which means you can use the software bonded implementations like balance-tlb.

The thing to remember is you're not going to increase your speed/performance -- at least for a single user, it is still 1Gbps. BUT, what it does mean as that more clients can access the NAS simultaneously and all enjoy closer to 1Gbps. As opposed to having one interface and having to share all the bandwidth.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kdallas wrote:I mean I'm no expert but the manual clearly states that no special hardware is required unless you're using 802.3ad...
The manual does state that static port trunking needs to be configured on the switch with the port trunking options Balance-rr, Balance XOR and Broadcast. Cheap non-manageable switches are therefore not compatible with any of those modes.

In fact it is easier to list the options that can be used without any switch configuration: Balance-tlb, Balance-alb and Active Backup. Active Backup does however provide only fault tolerance, no load balancing.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
vsgruescu
New here

Post by vsgruescu »

The best way ist just test every type of config. Without any special hardware and using a belkin router(only for testing) as a switch, i have found that with the option - Balance-rr - transfer rate is much better, actualy 4x better.

Post by 2000wolf »

IEEE 802.3ad works very vell in combination with a compatible managed switch.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

vsgruescu wrote:Without any special hardware and using a belkin router(only for testing) as a switch, i have found that with the option - Balance-rr - transfer rate is much better, actualy 4x better.
If the transfer rate improves 4 times by doubling the network connections you have other problems in your network.

Furthermore way you have the NAS network connections configured now is unsupported and will most likeley at one point or another lead to additional hard-to-diagnose problems.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
riahc3
Getting the hang of things

Post by riahc3 »

Im tesing out balance-alb right now. Im looking more for fault tolerance.

I plan to switch to IEEE 802.3ad (Dynamic Link Aggregation) as my switch supports it and honestly it is the best.
quantumjohnny
First post

Post by quantumjohnny »

riahc3 wrote:Im tesing out balance-alb right now. Im looking more for fault tolerance.

I plan to switch to IEEE 802.3ad (Dynamic Link Aggregation) as my switch supports it and honestly it is the best.
Which switch do you have. i'm planning to get the TP-Link TL-SG2008 as it support LACP 802.3ad.
chlywly
Starting out

Post by chlywly »

Hey guys, if I have a Asus 68u /w Tomato firmware which options should I be using? Can't figure out how to configure the Tomato firmware.
riahc3
Getting the hang of things

Post by riahc3 »

quantumjohnny wrote:
riahc3 wrote:Im tesing out balance-alb right now. Im looking more for fault tolerance.

Which switch do you have. i'm planning to get the TP-Link TL-SG2008 as it support LACP 802.3ad.
HP 1920.

It is working great
plporter
Starting out

Post by plporter »

I have a D-Link DGS-1510-28X switch, and when I setup port trunking for LACP 802.3ad, it has the drop-down options to use one of the following:
Source MAC
Destination MAC
Sources Destination MAC
Source IP
Destination IP
Source Destination IP

Which should I chose and why?

When I selected "Sources Destination MAC" and activated all 4 ports on my TVS-871, I lost access to the internet.

I am not sure the two are related.
redticker
New here

Post by redticker »

I have a TS-419P II and TS-469 Pro, both with dual 1Gb ethernet ports. I also have a TS-453 BT3 which has 1 10Gb port and 2 x 1Gb port as well as Thunderbolt 3 interface. I am using a Ubiquity UniFi Switch 24 Pro which supports port aggregation.
Will configuring multiple ethernet connections to each NAS improve throughput for a single user? If so what option for port trunking should I select?
Will configuring multiple ethernet connections to each NAS improve throughput for multiple users? If so what option for port trunking should I select?
Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

dont bother with the 419pII ..even if it worked ..it is too slow to saturate single 1GbE
ikemac
Starting out

Post by ikemac »

I have a TS-253A with the port trunking set on the 802.11AD to match my Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 router settings.

On a large backup job that I am running now from PC to NAS nad I'm seeing about 80 MB/s on Port 1 and mere KB/s on Port 2. See pic attached for reference.

This doesn't seem at all like this is how it "should" work. But maybe I am missing something...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TVS-h674-i5-32G
2x Silicon Power XS70 4TB M.2
QM2-2P-384A: 2x ADATA XPG S40G 4TB M.2
2x Seagate Exos X18 16TB
Connected via 2x 2.5Gbe to Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

Return to “Miscellaneous”