Extracting ZIP Files and Snapshot Backups

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
cosmarchy
Getting the hang of things

Extracting ZIP Files and Snapshot Backups

Post by cosmarchy »

Hello all,

A couple of simple(ish) questions, I hope:

First, Is it possible to extract zip files locally on the TS-453BE NAS? I have a number of large zip (and 7z) files on my NAS and I want to extract the contents to a folder on the NAS. With the network connection being rather slow remotely, I don't really want to log in to the NAS and select extract on the file as I believe the local PC will have to deal with the data and the ZIP contents will have to go back and forth across the network??? Can you avoid this by having the NAS extract the contents in to a folder. Also has the added benefit that I don't have to have the local computer connected all the time and I can come back to it later!!

Second, are snapshots backed up in HBS? When I set up a job, I can choose the folders I want to do but I cannot see any snapshot folders so I'm wondering whether snapshots can be backed up. I realise snapshots are not backups but since I am backing up the other folders and files (some of which are snapshotted) I figured backing up everything cannot do any harm. Not essential but more curiosity...

Thanks
OneCD
Guru

Re: Extracting ZIP Files and Snapshot Backups

Post by OneCD »

cosmarchy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 am With the network connection being rather slow remotely, I don't really want to log in to the NAS and select extract on the file as I believe the local PC will have to deal with the data and the ZIP contents will have to go back and forth across the network???
That depends on what you mean by "log in to the NAS".

If you're logging-in to the NAS, you're accessing it remotely, and running all operations within the NAS (via the web UI, or SSH or similar).

If you've mounted NAS shares on your PC, and are running local PC applications (like archivers) on them, this is quite different. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”