Slow Backup speeds with Veeam

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Lexmcf
New here

Slow Backup speeds with Veeam

Post by Lexmcf »

Hi,

I have a TS-2477XU-Rp with 32GB of RAM. It currently has 24x12GB SATA drives in 2x raid 6 configurations. We've connected the 2 10GB NICs to a 2 x Cisco Nexus 3524.

We are using VEEAM to backup or VMWare cluster as well as our File shares but encountering an error.

I've noticed that VEEAM has starting out fast (500meg+ and then dropping to 21m) and it show the destination (the QNAP) is the bottleneck.

If I stop the job and restart it it will continue to be slow. If I reboot the QNAP, I will start getting speeds above the 500 mark again. Sometime it will stay at that speed for several days and other times it will slow down midway through the job.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
P3R
Guru

Re: Slow Backup speeds with Veeam

Post by P3R »

What QTS version?

Are there any SSDs in the system?

Is it only Veeam causing the slowdowns or is it also during normal usage?

I would use Resource Monitor to try and find out what the bottleneck is in the system.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

never had this before...and I use Veeam at home and for work

any sort of caching involved on your NAS?
Lexmcf
New here

Post by Lexmcf »

No SSD's installed. The resource monitor always shows low CPu(under 10%) and ram (again under 10%).

I do see the network speed is similar to the reported bottleneck speed in the VEEAM monitor.

I haven't tried doing a direct copy when the speeds are slow but will next time.

No Caching has been setup.

Thanks
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Then it's probably in the storage so check the IOPS/latency for disks, RAIDs, pools, volumes and LUNs to see if any of that can give an idea of what could be causing the bottleneck...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Thor75
First post

Post by Thor75 »

Hi,
What is your firmware level on your Qnap?
I have are similar problem with our Qnap TS-453u firmware 4.4.3.1421, veeam is slowing down and can't complete are backup.
We have are similar Qnap TS-453u with firmware 4.3.6.0959, no problems.

Return to “Users' Corner”