Recording Surveillance Station Camera on USB drive

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
838Joel
Easy as a breeze

Recording Surveillance Station Camera on USB drive

Post by 838Joel »

Hi,

I just connected an USB drive (WD Purple) to be able to get my camera recording on it. I did not want to use my Storage Pools and stress my HDD in it for constantly record my camera.

Everything is good, but when I try to select the recording folder, I cannot see the external USB drive connected! It only allow me to select a Volume created in a Storage Pool, etc.

Any idea how I can workaround that and be able to record on my external drive from Surveillance Station?

Thanks,
Joel
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Recording Surveillance Station Camera on USB drive

Post by dolbyman »

tried the forum search?

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=114360
838Joel
Easy as a breeze

Post by 838Joel »

Thanks dolbyman!

This is an old thread, but I guest what I can do to workaround my solution here is to point my Surveillance Station to a volume that is on my storage pool and create a symbolic link to the USB drive!

But I try to do the link but always getting this error "ln: /share/VideoRecordings/record_nvr: Invalid cross-device link"

/share/VideoRecordings is my USB External drive
/share/VideoSurveillance is my volume on the storage pool

At first I formatted my external drive to NTFS and I was getting this error, just tried ext4 and same error!

the two folders I try to link are: "record_nvr" and ".record_nvr_tmp" which normally will be created on /share/VideoSurveillance, but want them to be linked to /share/VideoRecordings

So I try to run this: sudo ln /share/VideoSurveillance/record_nvr /share/VideoRecordings/record_nvr
and keep getting this error "ln: /share/VideoRecordings/record_nvr: Invalid cross-device link"

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joel
838Joel
Easy as a breeze

Post by 838Joel »

Ok I think I found out why... Seems hardlink cannot be done between 2 different partition! but symbolic work (sudo ln -s /share/VideoRecordings/record_nvr /share/VideoSurveillance/record_nvr)

Now, I want this to be more permanent as if I reboot my NAS, it need to be run again!

What will be the best way to make it permanent?

Return to “Surveillance Solution”