High End NAS - 886 temperature problems?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
MichaelS2
Starting out

High End NAS - 886 temperature problems?

Post by MichaelS2 »

hello,

I consider buying a new High End NAS (home use).

I mainly consider the TS-h886.

however when comparing the specs, I noted that operating temparture for the 886 is listed with 0 - 35 degrees C, for most other QNAP NAS with up to 40 degrees C.

Does the 886 have a temperature problem or do I understand something wrong?

in my server cabinet in summe it has always more than 40 degreees C. Therefore I would hesitate buying an 886 if this is true.

waiting for your opinion.
P3R
Guru

Re: High End NAS - 886 temperature problems?

Post by P3R »

MichaelS2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm Does the 886 have a temperature problem or do I understand something wrong?
I very much doubt that it have a problem but it probably could have at 40 degrees if the configuration is maxed out. The TS-h886 have a small chassis full of high-end hardware that together use relatively high amount of power so a lot of heat is produced.

A 35 degree max isn't uncommon in the industry. That's what my old Fujitsu server with a traditional, much larger tower chassis have.
in my server cabinet in summe it has always more than 40 degreees C.
That's not good for any of your stuff so I would recommend that you do something about it.

In my server closet I'm above 35 a few times in the summers and therefore I plan to install air conditioning in the house.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
MichaelS2
Starting out

Post by MichaelS2 »

in my server cabinet in summe it has always more than 40 degreees C.
That's not good for any of your stuff so I would recommend that you do something about it.

In my server closet I'm above 35 a few times in the summers and therefore I plan to install air conditioning in the house.
[/quote]

I have air condition in the living rooms, but not in the technical rooms as the one for electric equipment.

the old TS 659 coped with temperatures of approx 40 degrees C in summer for 10 years (disk temperatures permanently between 40 and 45 degrees.)

do the 672 XT or 672N tolerate higher temperatures? their specifications go up to 40 degrees C.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I don't really know more than what the specifications say and I do my best to keep below them. In my current main NAS, placed in the closet where I'm sometimes close to the specified maximum ambient temperature, I have changed from the automatic Smart fan adjustment to manual to make the fans spin faster and improve the cooling so that disks can be below 40. Disks won't die from being above 40 but below is better if possible.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

Typically when the the maximum ambient temperate for computing electronics is defined, it is based on the presumption that the equipment will be used consistently at 80% load.

Meaning that the CPU, all hard drives, PCIe cards and NVMe SSD is under constant active use with an overall system use load in the range of 80%. Given that level of use, an ambient non-condensing temperature of 35 degrees Celsius means that there is sufficient thermal capacity in the air to remove enough heat from the system to keep the components within designed operating temperatures.

The TS-h886 CPU has a slightly higher TDP (40 W) vs the CPU's used in TVS-x72 series which is 35 W.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)

Return to “Presales”