TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
joobeng
Starting out

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by joobeng » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 am

joobeng wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:04 am
joobeng wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 am
ramx2 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 am
Hi Joobeng,

Our device is listed as HAL device:

Code: Select all

All HAL-based Intel and AMD NAS:

Starting from QTS 4.3.3 it's required to enable the autorun.sh processing in the Control Panel -> Hardware -> General: Run user defined startup processes (autorun.sh)

mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config

Create/Edit /tmp/config/autorun.sh.

either using vi:
# vi /tmp/config/autorun.sh

Get vi editor into edit mode: press a
Edit whatever you need to
Exit edit mode: press ESC
Save and exit: x
or editing it using a desktop PC and e.g. SFTP
Ensure that /tmp/config/autorun.sh is executable
# chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

IMPORTANT: Unmount the mounted flash partition:
# umount /tmp/config
I don't like to use the console to edit the files, so I use "WinSCP" instead.
login from putty, then run >

mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save.

In my Nas I've put in the autorun.sh :

echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct
remember 100 is the max, so you can play with that number until you see your cpu frequency is acceptable and not throttling on stress.

When you finish saving from winscp, run in putty

chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh
also from putty :

umount /tmp/config
After completing the autorun.sh, please don't forget to enable the option to allow running autorun.sh during the system startup.
Hi ramx2,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

1. I was able to follow, until this part where u wrote:

"login from winscp > then goto: /tmp/config/autorun.sh < then open the autorun.sh and paste your configs and save."

How does one login from winscp? Sorry, i am a beginner ...

Also, how to goto the direction u mentioned? using CD command?

2. Because i was not sure, I took the Vi editor approach

I Goolged "Vi how to save and exit" and got this info:

Vim Save and Quit Command
Switch to command mode by pressing the ESC key.
Press : (colon) to open the prompt bar in the bottom left corner of the window.
Type x after the colon and hit Enter. This will save the changes and exit.

So, I highlighted the 2 rows of commands to be pasted, see below ...
echo "powersave" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo "79" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct

Press CTRL-C to copy them, go to PUTTY screen, right click on touch pad and it auto paste the 2 rows in Vi

Press ESC
Press ":"
Press x ( to save and exit)
Do the rest of the things u mentioned by copying and pasting in PUTTY.
So far so good, all without errors prompts of any kind.

Waiting for opportunities to restart the QNAP tonight and currently it is being used.

Will report the results later. Looks so far.

3. Will be interested to find out about the winscp mentioned in 1 above, to learn.

4. How were you able to find out able all these steps and what to do? You are a genius !

Thanks again.
Hi ramx2 and all,

a. As mentioned, after saving the autorun.sh, I tried to REMOTELY reboot the TVS-672XT, it got stuck (hangs), trying to shut down the services.

b. Note that at this stage, the various commands have been applied to the TVS-672XT, the temperature of the CPU is rather cool in idle mode (i recall seeing as low as 35 deg C, less than the 45 deg C of HDD),
just pending for me to reboot, to try out the newly created autostart.sh

c. To be frank, problem seems to be worst i have seen. Previously, QNAP was able to shutdown a few apps before it hangs while trying to reboot. Now, the first apps it tries to shutdown causes it to hang (Download Station).

The unit is able to shutdown services successfully sometimes and reboot without problems but i recall this is more and more rare now.

I can confirm that Download Station is not doing any downloads or uploads. All VMs in Virtualisation Station have been shutdown before I tried to reboot.

I have taken 2 screenshot with time shown to prove that after a long time, it is still hung.

d. This has been happening to me for long time. When i first bought the unit, it did not hang when trying to reboot. I did get the impress that it was taking a long time to shutdown and reboot completely will all services started,
much longer than i was expecting.

It was after i upgraded the firmware i few times (and/or maybe installed some apps too).

e. Any ideas what i can do, perhaps uninstall some apps and try again? Starting with Download Station?

f. The only thing i can do now is to physically go to the location of the TVS-672XT and physically press and hold the ON button to force it to shut down.

g. After restarting it, QTS will report all the volume as not clean and will have do a check on all the volumes.

h. BTW, how often should one reboot the TVS-672XT to ensure it is stable (no memory leaks or other issues such as those for a windows server, i know QNAP is on Linux :-) ), once a week, once a month, never ?

Thanks
Dear all,

UPDATE ...

I. As the TVS-672XT hangs while trying to shutdown services in order to reboot, I had to physically press & hold the POWER button (on the front, lower right side) in order force it to shutdown.

II. Before doing the above, I took a photo of the display. See picture attached. It says ...

Rebooting System
Please wait ...

III. Next, the QNAP boots up and various services are started (see attached). Note the time vs the time in my previous post (a few hours earlier).

IV. Next, QTS says did not shutdown properly, ask if I want to check all the volumes, which i said yes and it does so ...

Anyone facing familiar problems?

Thanks.

Regards,
Joo Beng
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.
RAM: G Skill (Intl) 16GB x 2 = 32GB
GPU add-on card: none
HDD storage: Seagate IronWolf 12TB x 4 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s (RAID 5)
SSD storage: 860 EVO 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
SSD cache (M.2): 970 EVO PLUS NVME 1TB x 2 (RAID 1)
PSU: Stock

ramx2
Getting the hang of things

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D15 Fan, 600W PSU, RTX 3080 (PC Gaming via VM)

Post by ramx2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:37 pm

Hey,
If I were you, I’d put everything back.. I’d remove the gpu, put back the original cpu, undo the configuration that you’ve put in the auto run,then put back thunderbolt card, and put the original Rams. Then check if it’s still doing the same issue.
If it does, you can still revert and flash the previous released firmware.. Reboot, do your tests..After, if everything is fine, replace the ram.. redo the test.. All good ? Then proceed for example put back the cpu, redo the test ect.. Until, it starts to hangs, you’d know what’s causing the issue. It’s all about trial and errors..
If all the original parts are in and it keeps on hanging, you should then contact the support.
QNAP TVS-672XT:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K, Turbo boost turned back ON and cooled by passive copper heat sink.
RAM: 32GB x 2 Samsung 2666Mhz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6G OCV1 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Ultrastar® DC HC520 12TB x 6 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s | PMR|
SSD: Lexar NVME 500GB for Cashing
PSU: Enhance Flex 600W ENP-7660B

joobeng
Starting out

Post by joobeng » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:51 pm

ramx2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:37 pm
Hey,
If I were you, I’d put everything back.. I’d remove the gpu, put back the original cpu, undo the configuration that you’ve put in the auto run,then put back thunderbolt card, and put the original Rams. Then check if it’s still doing the same issue.
If it does, you can still revert and flash the previous released firmware.. Reboot, do your tests..After, if everything is fine, replace the ram.. redo the test.. All good ? Then proceed for example put back the cpu, redo the test ect.. Until, it starts to hangs, you’d know what’s causing the issue. It’s all about trial and errors..
If all the original parts are in and it keeps on hanging, you should then contact the support.
Hi ramx2,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have the luxury to down the TVS-672XT and do the suggested test because the unit is live. Using in a work environment with many users.

I forgot to mention earlier that ... the warning that CPU dropped to 0.8Ghz was reported to QNAP, even gave the log file to them and they remote in to check. No solution.

Also, the VM running Windows 10 suffer from screen hang issues (this happened before the 0.8Ghz surfaced). The way to get the mouse to move again is to change the resolution the screen,
using the panel on the left hand side of screen.

For both problems above, log file was given to QNAP, they came in remotely to check. No solutions. When i push them again after a long time, they say they want to come in again.

Their portal or problem reporting in QNAP itself has some problems or improvements needed.

I lost faith and was too tired to allow them to remote in again.

The good news is after i rebooted the unit (it did not hang), things looked ok. Maybe it is lucky the reboot went fine, or somehow problem solved. I have no idea yet.
Need to reboot a few more times to see.

EDIT NOTE (10 Oct 2020): Despite changing CPU to powersaving mode and capping the CPU to 79% of max frequency, still getting warning fm notification center that the frequency
of CPU has dropped to 0.8Ghz. See attached.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TVS-672xt
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900. Turbo boost switched to Power saving mode, max. frequency=79% (courtesy of user: ramx2), cooled by stock heat sink.

codyrocco
Starting out

Post by codyrocco » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:15 am

Long story, short.
Upgraded to 8700t + GeForce 1650 [dual slot, low profile], dropped the [almost useless] Thundebolt card. Nice one, to run some games requiring Win7.
Bought a good cooler for CPU, handmade a 4cm heatsink, used some Noctua splitters for fan (no pun intended).
But right now I just got back to stock heatsink, is enough for 8700t.
Also, I'm tired to find an audio driver for Windows, as I want to use it on TVS-472xt as a joke, I like jokes.

[so, someone have an idea about an audio driver for tvs on win10?]

joobeng
Starting out

Post by joobeng » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:45 am

joobeng wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:51 pm
ramx2 wrote:
Hey,
Hi ramx2,

I don't have the luxury to down the TVS-672XT and do the suggested test because the unit is live. Used in a work environment with many users.

I forgot to mention earlier that ... the warning that CPU dropped to 0.8Ghz was reported to QNAP, even gave the log file to them and they remote in to check. No solution.

Also, the VM running Windows 10 suffer from screen hang issues (this happened before the 0.8Ghz surfaced). The way to get the mouse to move again is to change the bit-rate of the screen,

For both problems above, log file was given to QNAP, they came in remotely to check. No solutions. When i push them again after a long time, they say they want to come in again.

Their portal or problem reporting in QNAP itself has some problems or improvements needed.

The good news is after i rebooted the unit (it did not hang), things looked ok. Maybe it is lucky the reboot went fine, or somehow problem solved. I have no idea yet.

EDIT NOTE (10 Oct 2020): Despite changing CPU to powersaving mode and capping the CPU to 79% of max frequency, still getting warning fm notification center that the frequency

Cheers.
QNAP TVS-672xt

rafale
Know my way around

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua Fans

Post by rafale » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 am

ramx2 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:10 am
Update,

So I’ve received the PSU, and the copper coolers.
I haven’t install the power supply yet because I haven’t receive the 20 Pin adapter.

The power supply looks well made like the Delta PSU, and it fit perfectly.
I’ve also installed one copper cooler to check if temp will drop less than 45c on idle, but haven’t. It remained 45c, but remember it’s half the size of the aluminum ;) and FYI I have two VMs running, Windows 10 pro and Ubuntu, and the cpu usage hover around 7~8% that’s my idle reference.
Next step will be next week is to weld both copper cooler together :) hopefully I manage to drop the temperature more..

Idle temperature without VMs is around 42~43c
@ramx2

I have a couple of questions for you as I decided to move from the 9900T ES to a 9900 ES CPU seeing the per thread performance to be a bit disappointing at 3.2GHz all core:
1. Did you conclude that the OEM heatsink is as good as the copper one?
I bought both the one you used and this one: https://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-K129-Xe ... B004HSSZIA
The Dynatron is 2mm larger in all directions, has a smaller CPU contact pad (32mmx32mm vs 45mmx45mm) and has a much higher fin density which makes me think that it will obstruct airflow and likely lower the cooling efficiency so I returned it. It is also heavier at 490g Vs. 410g. I think it is a better heatsink to dampen short temperature spikes but on a continuous thermal load, it will likely perform worse.
2. How did you attach the second heatsink which goes on the Aquantia chip on your picture? You don't seem to have used screws and the thing is so heavy, I can't imagine you used adhesive thermal pads...
Current Config:
TVS-872XT, i9 9900T ES, intel X550-T2, Zotac RTX 2070 mini (with pico PSU as secondary), 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, 2x generic Phison E12 1TB M.2 SSD. 4x WD Red 8TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
TS-473, 20GB DDR4, Mellanox ConnectX3... WIP
Resold:
TVS-1282, i7 6700K, intel X550-T2, Mellanox ConnectX3
TS-871, TS-469

ramx2

Post by ramx2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:16 am

joobeng wrote:
ramx2 wrote:
Hey,
Hi ramx2,

I don't have the luxury to down the TVS-672XT and do the suggested test because the unit is live. Using in a work environment with many users.

Also, the VM running Windows 10 suffer from screen hang issues (this happened before the 0.8Ghz surfaced). The way to get the mouse to move again is to change the resolution the screen,

Cheers.
The message that appears "CPU has dropped to 0.8Ghz" it's a notification that the CPU is throttling. You can let this message appears when ever you stress the CPU. But don't worry, the cpu frequency isn't dropping to 0.8.. Check your thermal temps while it's stressed and make sure that your cooler is positioned properly. Have you changed the heatsink?
QNAP TVS-672XT:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K, Turbo boost turned back ON and cooled by passive copper heat sink.
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Ultrastar® DC HC520 12TB x 6 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s | PMR|

ramx2

Re: TVS-472xt, 672xt, 872xt with i7-9700K i9-9900K with Noctua Fans

Post by ramx2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:28 am

rafale wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 am
ramx2 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:10 am
Update,

So I’ve received the PSU, and the copper coolers.
I haven’t install the power supply yet because I haven’t receive the 20 Pin adapter.

The power supply looks well made like the Delta PSU, and it fit perfectly.
I’ve also installed one copper cooler to check if temp will drop less than 45c on idle, but haven’t. It remained 45c, but remember it’s half the size of the aluminum ;) and FYI I have two VMs running, Windows 10 pro and Ubuntu, and the cpu usage hover around 7~8% that’s my idle reference.
Next step will be next week is to weld both copper cooler together :) hopefully I manage to drop the temperature more..

Idle temperature without VMs is around 42~43c
@ramx2

I have a couple of questions for you as I decided to move from the 9900T ES to a 9900 ES CPU seeing the per thread performance to be a bit disappointing at 3.2GHz all core:
1. Did you conclude that the OEM heatsink is as good as the copper one?
I bought both the one you used and this one: https://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-K129-Xe ... B004HSSZIA
The Dynatron is 2mm larger in all directions, has a smaller CPU contact pad (32mmx32mm vs 45mmx45mm) and has a much higher fin density which makes me think that it will obstruct airflow and likely lower the cooling efficiency so I returned it. It is also heavier at 490g Vs. 410g. I think it is a better heatsink to dampen short temperature spikes but on a continuous thermal load, it will likely perform worse.
2. How did you attach the second heatsink which goes on the Aquantia chip on your picture? You don't seem to have used screws and the thing is so heavy, I can't imagine you used adhesive thermal pads...
1- The original heatsink should suffice if you play with the turbo boost and set it to powersave mode, and the copper heatsink will lower couple more degrees.. I recall you're using the graphite thermal conductor,
Why not trying a good thermal paste too?
2- I've welded the two heatsinks together, and it was a pain in the **** to clean it :S..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TVS-672XT:

rafale
Know my way around

Post by rafale » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 am

Wow... this is heavy handed artwork I am unwilling to venture into... (welding)
I think I will then just use thermal tape and a large but much lighter aluminum heatsink on the other side.

I have lots of thermal pastes of all kinds ranging from silicon based to carbon and metal based ones but have not found them to do significantly better than the simple sheet of IC graphite. A mere 1-2 degree C at most so I didn't deem it worth the long time drying, curing requirement and the inconvenience of the paste application. It could be that these couple of degrees could buy me something so I will reconsider.
Current Config:
TVS-872XT, i9 9900T ES, intel X550-T2, Zotac RTX 2070 mini (with pico PSU as secondary), 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, 2x generic Phison E12 1TB M.2 SSD. 4x WD Red 8TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Resold:
TS-871, TS-469

aggiebob1998
First post

Post by aggiebob1998 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:09 pm

ramx2 wrote:
Hey,
RAMX..are you using your 672 with a 9900 processor to run plex? I have a 673 that doesn't work worth a flip there. and am looking at upgrade options...It sounds like i can save money by skipping the 872XT with i5, grab the 672, swap the processor and get a much faster box for this app? Are the ASICS the same for both boxes such that I could enable hardware transcoding?

joobeng
Starting out

Post by joobeng » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:35 pm

ramx2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:16 am
joobeng wrote:
ramx2 wrote:
Hey,
Hi ramx2,

Cheers.
The message that appears "CPU has dropped to 0.8Ghz" it's a notification that the CPU is throttling. You can let this message appears when ever you stress the CPU. But don't worry, the cpu frequency isn't dropping to 0.8.. Check your thermal temps while it's stressed and make sure that your cooler is positioned properly. Have you changed the heatsink?
Hi ramx2,

Thanks for the clarification on 0.8Ghz notification.

Why am i still getting this when CPU already on power-saving mode and max frequency is set to 79%?

I am using stock headsink, did not change anything. Did see cpu temperature go to 57 deg C. Can't remember what was the max though.
QNAP TVS-672xt

rafale
Know my way around

Post by rafale » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Been researching the All core turbo frequencies of the 9900 series of CPU and thought I would share:

I9 9900T ES 3.3GHz
I9 9900T 3.6GHz
I9 9900 ES 4.1GHz
I9 9900K ES 4.2GHz
I9 9900 4.6GHz. 135W
I9 9900K 4.7GHz 135W

I’d be curious to know what power the CPUs consume at this frequency. I put out some numbers based on reports I have read and should help give an idea of the cooling required. My interest is in these turbo all cores because I am running a number of VMs for deep neural inference which load the CPU quite a bit and cause it to remain in all core turbo at all time. There isn’t a whole lot of benefit to running a K CPU as you can see since the QNAP BIOS and chipset doesn’t allow to change the unlocked multiplier. Don’t be mislead by the TDP rating. I have a 9900 ES on the way and will report what I find.
Current Config:
Resold:
TS-871, TS-469

ramx2

Post by ramx2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 pm

aggiebob1998 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:09 pm
ramx2 wrote:
Hey,
RAMX..are you using your 672 with a 9900 processor to run plex? I have a 673 that doesn't work worth a flip there. and am looking at upgrade options...It sounds like i can save money by skipping the 872XT with i5, grab the 672, swap the processor and get a much faster box for this app? Are the ASICS the same for both boxes such that I could enable hardware transcoding?
Greetings,

Basically, the TVS-x72N and TVS-x72XT are identical and the only difference is the add-on TB Card and the 10Gbe Ethernet.
I have plex server installed on the 672xt and on different servers with plex pass. Well you can save more by getting the TVS-672N if you don't need the thunderbolt and the 10Gbe. The time I placed the order on XT, GPU pass-through wasn't enabled on the TVS-x72N. Hence, it's now supported on virtualization station.

I removed the thunderbolt card which is useless for my setup, and I don't have 10Gbe switch in my home network.
The TVS-x72N got 5Gbe and it's enough for me, and if I needed 10Gbe in my network. I'd buy the card eventually, and I would have added the RAM, CPU and the GPU...

Before placing the order on the TVS-x72N. Make sure it supports the right CPU, because I've seen people successfully installed the i7 and I9 engineering samples on it, and also there's a person had a problem with i9-9900 in this thread, I'm not sure if he solved the problem by upgrading the bios.
Just make sure what risk your dealing with, and it's best to go through this forum and dig more info about the hardware you're going to spend money on.
As for the TVS-x72XT, I haven't seen anybody reporting an issue with the cpu upgrade. In addition, I haven't check plex transcoding on my qnap, since my GPU is assigned to the VM and not the QTS.
QNAP TVS-672XT:

ramx2

Post by ramx2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:50 pm

rafale,

Isn't it best to have the i9 on a rig and run whatever you want to without qnap limitations ?
QNAP TVS-672XT:

ramx2

Post by ramx2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:03 am

Joobeng,

Try to cap the cpu to 78% or 77% and check if you still see the notification, because 79% was the best number for my case..
QNAP TVS-672XT:

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”