TS-231+ QTS 4.4.3 Windows 10 - SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 Not Listed in QTS & Can't be enabled through SSH

Windows Access Rights Management
philg3
New here

TS-231+ QTS 4.4.3 Windows 10 - SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 Not Listed in QTS & Can't be enabled through SSH

Post by philg3 »

Hey Everyone,

I've been working on this issue for a few days without any success, and read through dozens of forum posts without finding a fix for this issue.

I recently installed a used TS-231+ and have been using it for a few weeks to back up multimedia files from a few older laptops I still have lying around. Everything was working fine, able to access drives and map them through File Explorer on multiple Windows 7 & 10 devices (HTPC, Surface Pro4, Surface Pro2, Lenovo Thinkpad). Last week the NAS seemed to crash and after a restart I had lost the network connection through file explorer on all devices. The NAS still shows up as a Storage Device under Network, and Media server is available through My Computer, but I can't hit the device through //NAS or //NASIP.

The one glaring issue that I've found is that SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 are no longer listed in the advanced sharing settings in QTS - it only shows SMB 1 as supported. I've attempted the smb2status and smb2enable through SSH commands but it shows this error:

/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd ... not found.

The only thing that I can think of - again after reading through forums etc. - its possible that I've installed unsupported firmware for the TS-231+. When I first got the NAS and factory reset everything and updated the firmware, I just grabbed the most recent firmware file from QNAP Download Center after searching for the TS-231+ model. Only now when I'm looking deeper did i find the seperate support page that shows the TS-231+ only supports up to 4.3.5. Unfortunately you can't really go backwards if you've already updated past 4.3.6, otherwise you risk losing data since the file system changes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Any advice would be really appreciated, I've run out of ideas at this point and want to see if there is anything that I've completely overlooked.

Thanks,
Phil
OneCD
Guru

Re: TS-231+ QTS 4.4.3 Windows 10 - SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 Not Listed in QTS & Can't be enabled through SSH

Post by OneCD »

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm no-longer a Windows user, but I'll try to help where I can. Hopefully, the Windows gurus will be able to assist further.
philg3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 am The one glaring issue that I've found is that SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 are no longer listed in the advanced sharing settings in QTS - it only shows SMB 1 as supported.
What does your dialog page look like? I've just checked on a vQTS session (4.4.1.1086) and saw this:
philg3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 am I've attempted the smb2status and smb2enable through SSH commands but it shows this error:

/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd ... not found.
Can you please post the session transcript back here? It should include the command prompt, your typed command, and the result like this:

Code: Select all

[~] # smb2status

smbd (samba daemon) Version 4.7.12
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 3 enabled.
philg3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 am The only thing that I can think of - again after reading through forums etc. - its possible that I've installed unsupported firmware for the TS-231+. When I first got the NAS and factory reset everything and updated the firmware, I just grabbed the most recent firmware file from QNAP Download Center after searching for the TS-231+ model. Only now when I'm looking deeper did i find the seperate support page that shows the TS-231+ only supports up to 4.3.5. Unfortunately you can't really go backwards if you've already updated past 4.3.6, otherwise you risk losing data since the file system changes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Correction: your installed QTS version is OK. That model is still receiving frequent QTS updates. The most recent as-of today is 4.4.3.1439. https://www.qnap.com/en-au/download?mod ... y=firmware

It shouldn't be possible to install an incompatible firmware anyway. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
philg3
New here

Re: TS-231+ QTS 4.4.3 Windows 10 - SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 Not Listed in QTS & Can't be enabled through SSH

Post by philg3 »

Hey OneCD

Screenshots as requested:
Advanced Options.PNG
SSH.PNG
As you can see, the Supported SMB Version no longer lists SMB 2.1 or 3, and I haven't had any success adding them through SSH.

Thanks again for looking into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

philg3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 am As you can see, the Supported SMB Version no longer lists SMB 2.1 or 3, and I haven't had any success adding them through SSH.
Sorry, but I must ask the obvious question: have you tried selecting a higher SMB version here?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
philg3
New here

Post by philg3 »

Hahaha you always have to ask the most obvious answer. No, the drop down only shows SMB 1. You can see below that the only supported SMB version is 1 - unlike in your settings image that shows Supported SMB 1, 2, 2.1, and 3.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

philg3 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 am No, the drop down only shows SMB 1. You can see below that the only supported SMB version is 1 - unlike in your settings image that shows Supported SMB 1, 2, 2.1, and 3.
Yup, but the displayed "supported" version range is based upon the selected upper and lower limits. ;)

Only thing I can suggest is to downgrade to a previous QTS version and try again.

Return to “Windows”