Can HBS 3 write a backup to an external USB drive?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
wus-Q
Starting out

Re: Can HBS 3 write a backup to an external USB drive?

Post by wus-Q »

I tried to start HBS 3 but this does not work! It shows that top left rotating Hybrid Backup label, but the usual HBS 3 window doesn't open. Will restart the NAS now.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

wus-Q wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:47 pm I tried to start HBS 3 but this does not work! It shows that top left rotating Hybrid Backup label, but the usual HBS 3 window doesn't open. Will restart the NAS now.
may not be necessary to restart nas....

i am assuming you are using chrome browser? try these things first

close your chrome tab, reopen a new one login and try again. Still have issues?

click the lock icon on ur url bar, site settings, clear data. i also use an addon "history eraser" to clear my browser. then close browser reopen and try again.

If still not working, you can then try rebooting.

Or if that still doesn't work, uninstall the app and reinstall.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

i'll repeat again....

in HBS, go to Sync > one way sync job > RTRR> LOCAL

you should be able to browse your external usb from there (assuming you have permission rights set correctly).

report back if that works or not :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
wus-Q
Starting out

Post by wus-Q »

The restart already completed when I saw your answer.

I'm using Firefox btw

HBS 3 seems to work normally again now.

I tried to set up a One way sync now as you suggested, but in my version of HBS 3 (13.0.0930) there is not RTRR. So I go Sync > Create > One-way Sync Job > Local NAS and then I get to the display that your screenshot shows.

>>>> Is it any difference?

And, since the further setup of the job looks very similar to the USB One Touch Copy where I selected "Synchronize" as the backup option, what it the difference between the 2?

To avoid that my first try with this sort of job takes a full day or even longer, I only added 2 smaller folders (together about 530 GB) for the One-way Sync Job. But when I completed setting up this job, it shows a "Quota: 9.86 TB / 12.30 TB". What is this? Is it important for the Job? My external HDD only has 8 TB ...
JDH
Easy as a breeze

Post by JDH »

I seldom use the OTC feature but presumably you can find the completion status in the event log.
Alternatively, you can compare the folder sizes/ no. of folders/ no. of files of the two copies. Sample check some files as well.
NAS Model: TS-453B Mini/TS-253P
FW Ver: 4.4.3.1421 / 4.4.3.1421
No. of HDDs: 4/2
HDD Model: WD Red
HDD Capacity: 6/3TB
RAID Config: RAID 1
Services enabled: All standard services
Ext. Devices: USB Printer (HP Laser Jet 1320)
NAS Speed/MTU: 100Mbps/1500 Bytes
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

wus-Q wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 pm The restart already completed when I saw your answer.

I'm using Firefox btw

HBS 3 seems to work normally again now.

I tried to set up a One way sync now as you suggested, but in my version of HBS 3 (13.0.0930) there is not RTRR. So I go Sync > Create > One-way Sync Job > Local NAS and then I get to the display that your screenshot shows.

>>>> Is it any difference?

And, since the further setup of the job looks very similar to the USB One Touch Copy where I selected "Synchronize" as the backup option, what it the difference between the 2?

To avoid that my first try with this sort of job takes a full day or even longer, I only added 2 smaller folders (together about 530 GB) for the One-way Sync Job. But when I completed setting up this job, it shows a "Quota: 9.86 TB / 12.30 TB". What is this? Is it important for the Job? My external HDD only has 8 TB ...

when you use the "backup", it creates pathing like

latest/backup/test

Whereas all i wanted it to do was copy test share to the destination.

To achieve that i use the one way sync. At the destination, i create a share called test as well. My end result then is

test

See it doesn't create that latest/backup

And that usb one touch, uses the physical buttons on the NAS to initiate the backup job. I prefer doing my backups via the qts UI. If you prefer pressing the physical button to initiate backup, then use that usb one touch method :'

As for your other question, not sure. do you have a screenshot ?

Also when i backup (one way sync) , in shares the files/folder count may not necessarily be same as destination. reason being the main nas created thumbnails which don't get backed up, hence the file/folder count difference. So the way i test if the backup was done correct, is to rerun the one way sync after it completes, then check report if the new files transfered is zero or not. If it's zero, means everything matches so there is no issue. I use the checksum verification, which is a more extensive check, although it is slower to verify.

you didn't say, but i assumed you successfully managed to select your external usb from that one way sync window yes? now you can create that job, run your one way sync (which i refer to as backup), let it complete. once done, run it again just to verify it completed correctly the first time. Once you are happy with the result, you can then setup the job for real this time.

Always test the backup process, BEFORE using it for reals :)
NAS

Network

Resources
wus-Q
Starting out

Post by wus-Q »

Thanks all for your explanations and help!

Yes I could select the external USB from that one-way sync window, I also simply tried to run that despite the questionable "Quota" display, and it worked.

However, I wouldn't want to rerun the whole job (once it's set up) for verification, because it takes too long for all my over 7 TB data. And since I work on the computer practically every day, there's a high likeliness that some files on the NAS were added or changed until the verification run completes, and then I'd get a wrong "false" result.

The long time it takes to complete the job remains a problem, even without the verification. Are there any faster alternatives?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

you're welcome :D

well the other day, after checking i noticed a couple of files got updated on the 2nd sync. so up to you :} for myself i'm glad i ran it the 2nd time just to be sure i got everything.

Also if you want it to transfer faster, you can omit the "check file verification". HBS will instead just check the file name and time stamp or some such (just a basic check).

how fast was your transfer speed :'
NAS

Network

Resources
wus-Q
Starting out

Post by wus-Q »

Transfer speed was about 90 MB/s - if I assume all data had to be transferred. However that certainly wasn't the case. But I don't know exactly how much change there was since I did the last backup / sync, so it's difficult to rate the "net" transfer speed.

Doing just a basic check won't always do in my case, so I will leave this checkbox checked.
lexvo
Know my way around

Post by lexvo »

I was confused too. I just switched from Backup Station to HBS and couldn't find my USB drive either.

This is how I managed it:
- as destination, select "Local NAS"
- click "Next"
- now you wil see a folder tree of your local NAS and the external drive(s)
- select the destination folder on the external drive
- click "Next"
TS-453Be with FW 5.1.5.2645 build 20240116, 4GB RAM, 4x WD Red 4TB RAID 5

Return to “Backup & Restore”