Disk Read/Write Error

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
booba
New here

Disk Read/Write Error

Post by booba »

Hi,

I have a TS-809. I have 8xWDC WD15EADS-00H7B in RAID5. Suddenly tonight Disk 5 dropped off. with a Disk Read/Write Error under status.

I tested the drive it comes up fine and Smart comes up fine however I cannot get rid of this error. I removed the drive and plugged it into a pc so that I could test the drive with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from WDC. It all tested perfect.

Refitted the drive, upgraded to latest firmware "2.1.6 Build 0428T". Still a dirty red light is on the drive and the same Disk Read/Write Error.

Is there anything I can do or do you think it is faulty hardware?

Regards,
Jeremy
drfruit
Easy as a breeze

Re: Disk Read/Write Error

Post by drfruit »

I would not refit a drive that has been rejected by a Qnap NAS, as I have read several reports from people who had problems with data loss. Not sure what is going on, but it seems that SMART information or testing of HDD's doesn't always give reliable results, or else the Qnap has some special sensitivity.
I would like to see a comment from Qnap about this phenomenon, as it is a bit of a mystery right now.
The_Jimster
Starting out

Post by The_Jimster »

i have this from a 409pro
4x Seagate ST3750330NS firmware SN05 [in a four disk raid 5 array]
disk position one has given a read/write error - but when i plugged it into a windows machine (and reformatted it) - it seems fine, till i put it back in the qnap then it says read/write error am about to RMA the drive as faulty - or is it the QNAP?
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

I would contact the qnap online, it's not a sure thing of course, but if the data lifeguard tool gives it an ok, it might be a question of having the MD raid removing it properly, and reentering it. This will require the latest firmware with a more relaxed sata timing.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
booba
New here

Post by booba »

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. QNAP support did indeed resolve the issue however I now have drive 6 plugged out. Contacting QNAP Support with no success. It seems that the last QNAP Support engineer was very very helpfull but the one I have on MSN now has no idea and has not responded in over 1 hour.

He asked me what the suggestions were from the previous support. I explained everything that happened and now I get nothing. Does not look like they are planning to answer me any time soon.

QNAP Support one day excellent then you might get someone who just doesn't seem to give a **.

That is all i have to say.. Not happy considering i spent $2149AUD exgst on this device with no drives.

Booba.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi booba,

I've contacted our tech support team to take a look at your issue directly and he should be contacting you right away.

Sorry for any inconvience.

Andy
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
blackbeast
Getting the hang of things

Post by blackbeast »

I'd like to chime into this conversation at this point.

I have the TS-509 PRO and have just had the exact same problem. A disk in my array shows the following:

Drive 5 WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0 1397.26 GB Disk Read/Write Error Scan now
Good

To attempt to solve the problem, I have done:

1. A complete "[Scan Now]" on the drive. It took about 3 hours and then reported back no errors (and nothing in the log either)

2. I then clicked on the "[Good]" under the SMART list and went to the drive and performed a "Complete Test" which took again more than 3 hours. As expected it returned:

Test time Mon Jun 22 10:10:02 2009
Test result Test completed and no errors found(Complete test)

So, now I appear to be back at step #1. I have rebooted the array and cannot work out what is going on. I would be most grateful if someone could tell me what's happening as I can't work it out. I'm on the TS-509 Pro and my current firmware version is 2.1.6 Build 0428T.

Is this a problem with the firmware? I've spent an awful lot of money on array and disks and I'm not sure I trust the solution any more.
NAS: TS-653B | FW 4.4.3.1354 | 6 x 6Tb WD60-ERFX (24TB RAID6) | 8Gb RAM
NAS: TS-453Be | FW 4.4.3.1354 | 4 x 8Tb WD80-EFRX (24TB RAID5) | 4Gb RAM
NAS: TS-559 Pro | FW 4.2.6 | 5 x 3Tb WD30-EFRX (12TB RAID5) | 1Gb RAM
fsv2
New here

Post by fsv2 »

I have a TS-509 and it also has 5 * WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0, and I have just had the same error as you guys [Disk Read/Write Error]. My error is on disk 3.

Looking at this thread all the disk problems seem to be withe the WD15EADS, is this the problem??

Anyway, any clue as how to solve the issue, I've done the same checks/procedure as blackbeast... still no joy.

Any pointers ?
jasonhyland
Starting out

Post by jasonhyland »

This is exactly the error I received a day or so ago, and has now resulted in my fault tolerant array becomeing, erm, intollerant. Basically, according to QNAP, I require the services of a data recovery company!

I would totally echo the previous comments
  • Don't reinsert a disk with this error - mine drive went offline and I reinserted it - I suspect this might have caused the array to go fizz bang
  • You may be unlucky and get someone from support either too disinterested or not skilled enough to help - I'm hoping that's what I got and there is still someone in QNAP willing to help.
QNAP - come on, get a grip please ! I've sung your praises for so long, now, in my hour of need you let me down!
thewab
Starting out

Post by thewab »

I have a brand new 219P Turbo and two brand new WD15EADS drives that I purchased from Newegg last week. I also have the latest QNAP firmware from the website. Running in RAID 1 and just got the error everyone is talking about on drive #1. In the process of checking bad blocks and I'll report back my results for those that are interested. I am so hoping I didn't make a bad product decision....

Craig
thewab
Starting out

Post by thewab »

Here were the log entries prior to getting the error the first time:

2009-07-21 07:03:10 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 1 2] Drive 1 failed.
2009-07-21 07:03:04 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 1 2] RAID device is in degraded mode.
2009-07-21 07:03:04 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 1 2] Drive 1 has been removed.

The first event was "Drive 1 has been removed". No way to tell which occurred first, the drive being removed or the Read/Write error. Is it correct to assume that a Read/Write error would automatically cause a drive to be removed?

Thanks,
Craig
thewab
Starting out

Post by thewab »

Completed scanning for bad blocks, no bad blocks found. The TS-219P re-added the drive and syncronized. All is well at the moment. Fingers crossed...
thewab
Starting out

Post by thewab »

Spoke too soon. 36 hours later Read/Write Errors on the same drive. Will RMA to Newegg and try again.
KJO
New here

Post by KJO »

I have exactly the same problem. I have TS-219 Turbo NAS with 2 WD 15EADS drives. Running in RAID 1. First it had a strange noise, like the drive heads was running to its endpoints. Then Drive 1 removed, Drive 1 failed, RAID device is in degraded mode and at last Disk 1 Read/Write Error.
All test was Good and the S.M.A.R.T. status says GOOD. But it still has DISK Read/Write Error.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Get the WD diagnostics tool, put the disk in a PC, and do the tests from the bootcd.
Thorough test, and maybe erase disk.
That will give you an answer on what's wrong, the tests built in to the NAS are generic, the WD tool is specific for WD disks.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”