re-authorize smtp server in Notification Center.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
keith.uk
Getting the hang of things

re-authorize smtp server in Notification Center.

Post by keith.uk »

The Notification Center won't let me send emails. It says that I need to re-authorize the Gmail account that I have set up. If I open QAgent, there is no way to select the existing account to re-authorize it. It takes me directly to the create account page. Is this a bug or is there another way to do it?
Cheers
qnap authorization expired.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
josh.willett
New here

Re: re-authorize smtp server in Notification Center.

Post by josh.willett »

Hi Keith, did you ever find a resolution to this?
I am having the exact same issue.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Google uses special per-app auth tokens rather simple passwords for extra security. If your email account were properly configured it would look like this in Notification Center (second from top):
gmailnotif.png
I guess yours got invalidated by a "firmware" update.

My advice:
1. Trash your current email (click on trash icon on far right side).
2. Re-create the Gmail service provider (click '+ Add SMTP service' button above).
3. In the panel that pops up, select 'Gmail' (first choice), then click on Email field.
4. Another browser window will pop up. You'll be asked to sign-in with Google or to select your Google account if you're already signed in.
5. Then you'll be asked to authorize 'QTS' to send email on your behalf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
josh.willett
New here

Post by josh.willett »

Thanks Mousetick.
I should have been clearer though, my issue does not relate to relaying through gmail but rather is a custom service that was running fine relaying through ISP mail server before this authorisation thing popped up.
I then deleted it and setup a 365 relay but the same exclamation appeared asking for authorisation.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

josh.willett wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:39 am I then deleted it and setup a 365 relay but the same exclamation appeared asking for authorisation.
I don't know what you're referring to by '365'.

Have you tried to recreate a custom SMTP service like the one you had before, going through your ISP mail server?
You fill in the parameters exactly as you would when specifying an outgoing mail server in a desktop mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird.
josh.willett
New here

Post by josh.willett »

Was just a custom smtp service through office 365.

I have tried recreating through the ISP mail server and recreating through office 365 - About 5 secs after you recreate them the exclamation appears wanting authorisation again but giving no indication on how I am supposed to do this
The settings are all good, it's just the NAS that complains and wants 'authorisation'.
It used to work just fine from the NAS as well.
JamesBev
First post

Post by JamesBev »

Was this ever sorted and do you have a fix? I have the exact same issue. Multiple NAS drives all previously sending out email alerts fine. Now I need to authorise each one and they fail to authorise. Tried deleting them and adding a new mail server as mentioned above. Very frustrating
marsar
Starting out

Post by marsar »

Same here, office365 SMTP servers don't seem to work for whatever reasons. I tried with per-app passwords, still no luck.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

report to qnap via ticket to get them to fix it
NatNat
First post

Post by NatNat »

Seems like the SMTP Service account no longer works without secure connection. Changed Secure connection to TLS or port 25 and all NAS now able to send notification again
lzyla
New here

Post by lzyla »

I am unable to add ANY email for notification services. I keep being asked for reauthorization no matter how I add it.
Has anybody a working solution for ANY email that works with notificationsa?
Reauthorization in QNAP is not an option - it doesnt even have a browser, and to be honest - how could this even be considered a soution? You need notifications when you cannot access your server - if you can, you do not need emails...
volvog
New here

Post by volvog »

Is there any solution in the meantime?
Did an firmware upgrade this morning. All seemed well but... notification center. Cannot re-authorize my custom email account. Deleted it several times and configured it from scratch. Still getting the alert "re-authorize email account"...
nw1456
Starting out

Post by nw1456 »

I had this exact same problem after a firmware update this morning. I use ionos Domain email, nothing I did worked, lots of head scratching later I tried changing the secure connection from "TLS" to "SSL" and port number From "587" to "465. Worked straight away! It was working perfectly before the update, I know this because that's how I got the notification on the update.

Hope this helps someone out.
TS-253D
2x4TB Seagate ironwolf HDDs
2x500gb 970 Samsung Evo Plus NVMe M.2 Cache
2x4gb Crucial CT2K4G4SFS8266 Ram

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”