RJ45 (cat?) with HDMI adapters OR 50' HDMI cable??

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
QueNapping
New here

RJ45 (cat?) with HDMI adapters OR 50' HDMI cable??

Post by QueNapping »

Hello.

THE SITUATION:
I have a QNAP TS-453Be and it is TOO NOISY (caps on by choice...and that noise issue will be dealt with elsewhere) to keep in the living room or entertainment room without driving everyone batty with the constant (or even intermittent) crunch-crunch it exudes. Because of this, I will place the QNAP into the furnace room / workshop and run approximately 50 feet (15.3-ish meters) of cable to the TV's to play movies I have on it.

THE QUESTION:
Should I use an HDMI "Send" Adapter --> RJ45 / Cat6 (or 5??) --> HDMI "Recieve" Adapter, or just a 50 foot (15.3 or so Meters) 'pure' HDMI cable to connect the QNAP to my TV?

Only those who have tried this please reply!! No speculators, please!!

Many thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: RJ45 (cat?) with HDMI adapters OR 50' HDMI cable??

Post by dolbyman »

Use the QNAP as a server not a player, so abandon the hdmi and just use a long network cable

as a player you can even use a cheapo android player and still save money vs. some hdmi to catx solution
QueNapping
New here

Post by QueNapping »

Hello dolbyman and thanks for your reply.

I'm new at this so excuse the n00b questions. I had previously used my PS3 for playing from my HP MediaSmart Server to the TV's. Any idea how this would work with using the QNAP as a server? (Using my new QNAP as a server was my FIRST wish, anyway...).

Can you give specific examples of hardware to use? I would play movies on a smart TV hopefully through a multi-channel audio system as I want the total surround-sound experience.

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You could use
-DLNA (most Smart TVs have that build in)
- KODI there is ton of android boxes that come with KODI preinstalled (Pull the data from NAS via SMB)
- Plex (clients in external devices or smartTVs)

I use mostly Plex, supports 4K with HDR playback and audio up to lossles Atmos or DTS:X
QueNapping
New here

Post by QueNapping »

Hi dolbyman (or anyone).

I've been living under a rock and not up on the latest technology. (Living overseas with no incentive to get any new TV for years! Now back in the same land as you, dolbyman!)

Innocent / uneducated questions.. again excuse the igorance!

1) Can I take an RJ45 / Cat5 or 6 cable directly from my QNAP NAS and run it directly into a new smart TV to then access my server (via which app?? And the app itself...would it be TV based? Or on my phone or whatever method? Recommended "apps"?) then play said media (mostly movies, but music or show photos or videos...etc...) directly on my TV?

2) Should I run it to my Playstation 2 which at one point was a good media player...

3) Which recommended TV's in 2020 would play directly from the NAS?

4) Can I take a PVR that my "cable" company now supplies and copy whatever I record then onto my NAS - so the data streams TO the NAS as well as FROM it?

5) If QNAP works as the player, should I get that QNAP remote control to "browse" the NAS to choose whatever media I wish to play?

6) I have two or three TV's I wish to play content on from the NAS. Should I get a router just to split the RJ45 line from the NAS to the TV's? Lost on networking...ughh.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions. Formulating a plan now, still!

Thanks VERY much!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) connect our NAS to your wifi router, this way all devices (wired or wireless can access it)

2) no ..too slow

3) too plentiful to answer (most smart tvs will)

4) probably not due to DRM (depends on the model though)

5)dont use it as a player

6) I think you mean a switch...so that means you have no internet at home ?
QueNapping
New here

Post by QueNapping »

Hi dolbyman. Excellent service, by the way. Thanks as always!

1) PERFECT. That way I can route the cable in from the NAS then use the router for all the TV's to access the QNAP. Excellent idea. Which player on the TV or FOR the TV should I use, though... Same question for hand-held / tablet (NON Apple) playback.

2) Done.

3) Thanks!

4) I'll have to explore that. (DRM...say it was for a public, open-rights forum I recorded..wink wink...then DRM wouldn't be applicable. Must look into the "How to" of this later.

5) OK. Done. (Thanks!)

6) Disregard. 1) sorted this! I had in mind running from the NAS to the TV's strictly for the media access but if the NAS is on the network this is automatically done. Facepalm.

Thanks for your time.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) depends on what your tv supports ..plain dlna,plex, kodi, etc
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

I would try Plex Server on your NAS, you'll need PLEXPASS to take advantage on hardware transcoding. But you can try a single stream for free on your tv to see if it's something that'll work for you.

My old samsung 1080p "smart" tv which has a very limited app selection even has Plex available as an app. The TV is super slow, but it works.

The cheapest box to use are Amazon Firesticks or Roku Stick/Boxes.

Return to “Media Streaming”