HBS 3 Taking Up Too Much Room on Backup Destination

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
tfjield
New here

HBS 3 Taking Up Too Much Room on Backup Destination

Post by tfjield »

I'm using Google Drive as a backup destination. I have about 250 Gb there already, and a 2 TB limit, so there is about 1.75 TB available for HBS 3. My data to be backed up are about 850 Gb, but HBS 3 routinely fills it up, all the way to 2 TB.

I have it set to use compression and to remove deleted data from the destination, but it's still using all the available space!

Anybody else have this problem?

P.S. I realize that deleting items in Drive just moves them to the trash, but they still count against your quota. I have a script that automatically permanently empties the trash daily, so that's not it.
P3R
Guru

Re: HBS 3 Taking Up Too Much Room on Backup Destination

Post by P3R »

Are you using versioning?

Other than that I think that your your best bet is to ask Qnap support.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tfjield
New here

Post by tfjield »

That's a good question! Mostly because I'm not sure what you're referring to... lol. Versioning on Google Drive? Or on the NAS? Or is that an HBS 3 option?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

It's a HBS3 option. You find it below the job schedule when you edit the job. It means saving several different versions (generations) of a backup and the additional versions use up storage.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
tfjield
New here

Post by tfjield »

Ah, thank you. Never noticed that before. But unfortunately, no, it's turned off.

Return to “Backup & Restore”