Guest access set to full not working on TS-231P2

Windows Access Rights Management
zaxatron
Starting out

Guest access set to full not working on TS-231P2

Post by zaxatron »

Hi everyone,

I have created a shared folder called shared.

Then I have enabled Guest Access and set it to full access.

When I try to access the folder from my windows 10 (20H2) pro computer using the run command by right clicking the start button:

\\nas1\shared or using \\IPADDRESS\shared

I get a response saying that I might not have proper permissions.

I added the local group everyone to the share and gave it full read/write access, but I still :ashamed: can't access.

So what is the point of enabling GUEST full access if it does not work?

Any ideas? Does it have to do with SMB?

I even disabled my windows defender firewall completely and turned off password protected sharing form the advanced network settings.

Thanks

Zaxa
zaxatron
Starting out

Re: Guest access set to full not working on TS-231P2

Post by zaxatron »

Anyway since this question hasn't been answered for 6 days, I decided to find the solution myself.

Some shared folders had ABSE enabled, which forced the QNAP "Microsoft Networking File Service/Stand Alone Server" "Advanced Options/Restrict anonymous users from accessing SMB shared folders" to forcefully lock the
"Enabled strict: Authenticated users can view the shared folder list" setting.

Therefore unauthenticated users could not access the shared folders without credentials even though the Guest Full Access setting was enabled.

I went through my shared folders and disabled the ABSE setting on all of them.

Then under the server "Advanced Options/Restrict anonymous users from accessing SMB shared folders", I selected the "Disabled: Anyone can view the shared folder list. Guest account can access folders with permission"

After disabling this setting I was able to access the shares without providing username and password.

I hope that this will help some people.

Return to “Windows”