HS3 "Failed to upload metadata"

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
chrisara
First post

HS3 "Failed to upload metadata"

Post by chrisara »

Hi, I have a problem when I want to make a backup with HS 3 for example a folder in NAS to a external drive in the NAS USB, will be an error of ""Failed to upload metadata" that will be show if the folder is big for example 200Gb it will be works fine if are small folder for example 10Gb or 20Gb. ¿are some limet to make the backup?

Thanks
P3R
Guru

Re: HS3 "Failed to upload metadata"

Post by P3R »

Are you talking about a single folder with 200 GB files in it or are you talking about a folder with subfolders?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
JDH
Easy as a breeze

Post by JDH »

I get the same problem in backing up to OneDrive for Business. The total size is around 19GB that consists 260 folders and 2700 files. The HBS version is 3.0.191202. Thanks.
NAS Model: TS-453B Mini/TS-253P
FW Ver: 4.4.3.1421 / 4.4.3.1421
No. of HDDs: 4/2
HDD Model: WD Red
HDD Capacity: 6/3TB
RAID Config: RAID 1
Services enabled: All standard services
Ext. Devices: USB Printer (HP Laser Jet 1320)
NAS Speed/MTU: 100Mbps/1500 Bytes
danielngho
First post

Post by danielngho »

I get the same problem with OneDrive for Business too.

Severity Level: Error
Date: 2020/03/25
Time: 01:46:10
Users: System
Source IP: 127.0.0.1
Application: Hybrid Backup Sync
Category: Custom Job Event
Content: [Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Backup job: "Folder_Name". Failed to upload metadata. Check your network settings.. Check logs for more information.

Above information from the error message. But the backup seems to keep going...
cabaseira
Starting out

Post by cabaseira »

I have the same problem.
Any solution?
Client2020
New here

Post by Client2020 »

I have the same problem.
I can backup my Documens, Music and Videos folders (all of the small folders, less than 0.3 TB) but its impossible to backup my Photogaphy folder and subfolders (1.9 TB).
I am using HBS 3 version 4.2 and have tried for two months different conditions with or without cumulative versions and with or without QuDedup. Impossible to backup my photograps. Could anyone in the forum help me?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Client2020 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:10 pm Could anyone in the forum help me?
Unlikely as noboby have been able to provide the answer in the almost 6 months since the thread was opened.

I would recommend that you instead contact Qnap support. Please report back here with their answer to help other users, as several seem to have the same issue as you.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

stop uploading the metadata to qnap and the message will disappear
Puki
Starting out

Post by Puki »

Please excuse my maybe stupid question but HOW to stop uploading the metadata?
TS-879 Pro 4.3.3.0378 (2017/11/17)
TVS-EC1080 4.3.3.0378 (2017/11/17)
TS-853A 4.3.3.0378 (2017/11/17)
Client2020
New here

Post by Client2020 »

Thank you P3R
I contacted them. It took one week to have a message asking me for more info, and 3 weeks to have, lets say, a diagnosis:
"The backup job failed due to the eventual consistency behavior of Hubic. The backup job will wait at most 10 seconds after files uploaded to Hubic and check if the file really exists on Hubic. Apparently waiting 10 seconds is not enough, so I increase it to 100 seconds and start the backup job again."

It works! :D
Now I have another problem since, even without qudedup enabled, I can not program different versions of the backup.
I will have to look up in another forum.
Thank you again.
onecolumbyte
Starting out

Post by onecolumbyte »

Client 2020, you say to increase the wait time. Where/How do I do this?

dolbyman says not to upload metadata at all. Where is this option?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

3 dots top right of hbs3 window
settings
data analysis
disagree to data collection
onecolumbyte
Starting out

Post by onecolumbyte »

My Data Analytics tab does not have this option.
The only checkbox on the data analytics tab is "I have read and agree to the terms of the Privacy Policy".
I have unchecked this, I will report the results, it takes a while to complete this job.

Also, this is a terrible error handling message, also this error makes si so the restore function does not work. Why in god's name would a data analytics failure make my whole backup unusable?
onecolumbyte
Starting out

Post by onecolumbyte »

This did not work. Any other suggestions?

I unticked the "I have read and agree to the terms of the Privacy Policy" box on the data analytics tab. That's as close as I could come to dolbman's suggestions.

I still get the error Failed to Upload Metadata Check your network settings.

Other suggestions?

How do I increase the wait time as suggested by Client2020? The error handling rules (under Rules --> Options) is 1800 secs by default. This doesn't seem to be the setting referred to...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

sure the error comes from hbs3 ? there is also metadata collection from the drives

if in doubt talk to qnap

Return to “Backup & Restore”