Adding SSD cache to TR-004

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dhoover
New here

Adding SSD cache to TR-004

Post by dhoover »

Setting up 3 12TB HD's with a 1 TB SSD for cache. (RAID 5)
Should I set up the 3 HD's first at RAID 5 and then add the SSD?
If I set up all four at once, at RAID 5, wouldn't that limit the size of the RAID.
I can't seem to find this answer for a RAID 5.
Thanks,
Dave
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Adding SSD cache to TR-004

Post by dolbyman »

impossible on the TR ... the RAID chip is just barely fast enough for RAID5 (single parity) and spinning disks, so no way to add complexity of caching into it

on top the TR does not support migration or expansion, so set it up with all disks or be stuck with it until your kill and restart
dhoover
New here

Post by dhoover »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:48 am impossible on the TR ... the RAID chip is just barely fast enough for RAID5 (single parity) and spinning disks, so no way to add complexity of caching into it

on top the TR does not support migration or expansion, so set it up with all disks or be stuck with it until your kill and restart
Thanks much. So totally rethinking now. May upgrade to a TS-451D2 and do RAID 6 without a cache. This will be used mostly for backup.

Thanks again,
Dave
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

most people would do raid5 with 4 disks, as it's only the backup(the original files still on the location) .. unless you mean only storage location .. then it's not a backup .. and needs a backup
dhoover
New here

Post by dhoover »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:24 am most people would do raid5 with 4 disks, as it's only the backup(the original files still on the location) .. unless you mean only storage location .. then it's not a backup .. and needs a backup
Understood. Yes it's just a backup of other files.
Thanks for all this advice. It's clear that I needed it.
Dave

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”