Error -5987 Can't Access NAS Remotely

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
dbiaa
New here

Error -5987 Can't Access NAS Remotely

Post by dbiaa »

Hi All,

I have a QNAP TVS-872XT running firmware 4.5.1.1495 Build 20201123.

Since Thursday my colleagues have been unable to access the NAS via myQNAPcloud link (qlink.to/*NAS NAME*) which was working absolutely fine before then. I checked network settings and for some reason there was no WAN IP showing.

The connection on myQNAPcloud link app was showing disconnected and it wouldn't reconnect when I tried to.

I also couldn't access the All Apps section of the App Center as it says temporarily unavailable. It's as if the NAS isn't connected to the internet.

I've tried changing the ethernet cable, the port the ethernet cable is connected to the NAS and even the router.

Reset the NAS and also the router still no fix.

Reset network settings via SSH still no fix.

I reset all settings (from Control panel -> backup/restore) and now I keep getting an error when I try to set up myQNAPcloud (see attached image).

Now network and virtual switch doesn't even open! So I can't see the interfaces etc.

Why is the NAS not connecting to the internet and how do I get it to?

Really stuck and would appreciate any help!

Let me know if any other info is required
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbiaa
New here

Re: Error -5987 Can't Access NAS Remotely

Post by dbiaa »

Ok so I have access to the network and virtual switch app now, but still no WAN IP?

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

What is the NAS network configuration and status in "Network & Virtual Switch"? Please provide screenshot(s) if possible.

Can you use SSH to enter commands on the NAS? What happens if you try to ping a destination on the Internet? If the ping is successful, what happens when you try to download something (anything, doesn't matter what as long as it exists) using the wget command with https (not http) from the Internet?
dbiaa
New here

Post by dbiaa »

Hi Mousetick and thanks for the reply!

I disconnected the NAS and connected it to a different router and it seemed to work fine, brought it back to the original router and what do you know...it's working fine!

Only issue I have now is ridiculously slow upload and download speeds when connecting using myqnapcloud. The NAS is connected to a 1gbps symmetric upload and download speed router from Hyperoptic (hence why I was so keen on connecting it back to the original router).

The other router I have is a virgin media one that has 350 mbps download and 35mbps upload.

The download and upload speeds I get are less than 1MBps! Ok upload I guess someone could somehow argue with overheads etc 35mbps could be somewhat justified as less than 1MB/s but download too? When I had my Synology DS1015+ I was able to fully saturate my 350mbps internet and get close to 40MB/s download. Yet on the QNAP (an UPGRADE for us I might add) I get less than 1MB?? Surely I've done something wrong on set up and this can't be normal?

I'm not using cloud link, so its a direct connection.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

No it's not normal. You should be able to saturate the bandwidth provided by your ISP (350 Mbps down, 35 Mbps up) to/from the NAS, provided there is no network congestion along the way.

Your story is quite confusing. First you said your colleagues were using myQNAPcloud link, but now you're saying you're not using cloud link.

Anyway, as usual in these situations, you need to proceed by elimination to isolate the source of the problem. Start by testing inside the LAN: client - LAN - NAS, without going through the Internet.
dbiaa
New here

Post by dbiaa »

Apologies I meant myQNAPcloud not cloud link,

As for the speed, after hours spent yesterday trying to figure it out and playing around with settings, I was speaking to a QNAP support tech via Helpdesk, I wanted to run a speed test showing my 350mbps download speed and then show him the download speed I get from the NAS. I unplugged an ethernet cable (that wasn't connected to anything on the other end) from my Hyperoptic hub (which the NAS is connected to) and used it to connect my MacBook Pro to my virgin media hub. Got the speed test result and then when I went to download from the NAS over the internet I got 40MB/s! I couldn't believe it.

Unplugged the ethernet cable and used wifi to work out if it was using wifi that was causing the slow speeds and nope I was getting 35-40MB/s over wifi too!

I have no idea what fixed it but boy am I glad it is.

Surely it can't have been unplugging the ethernet cable as it wasn't connected to a device, just had an ethernet to usb-c adapter at the end of it.

And as for me using an ethernet cable instead of wifi at my other hub I don't see why that would make a difference to the NAS itself as now all my colleagues are also able to saturate their internet speeds!

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”