DNS Server App

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
glennmac
Know my way around

DNS Server App

Post by glennmac »

DNS server app would be much appreciated. Synology has this.
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: DNS Server App

Post by jaysona »

bind 9.16.6 is available via entware.

Running a DNS server on your NAS is not one of the most sound ideas. If you need DNS, then that means you have a domain, just about every domain registrar provides DNS, use their DNS and let it get hammered instead of your personal server. For example, I doubt your home internet connection can withstand a basic DNS amplification attack.

There are many services QNAP is sorely negligent on, DNS is not one of them. Plus, given the way QNAP has written the currently available services, do you really think they could get DNS done right? :p
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

You can install docker image with Pi-hole in containerstation. See https://youtu.be/ZvaQu5_QrJ4
alexis.valois
First post

Post by alexis.valois »

I do not agree that if you need a DNS, it necessarly means you have a domain. Sometimes, you just want to stop remembering your static IP adresses inside your home LAN. For example : Im a web developper and Id like to create POCs using several docker containers in a microservice infrasturcture (a mongo DB, a REST api, an nginx reverse-proxy, etc.). I don't want to remembre 3,4,5, 10 static IPs for all my microservices, especially if i want to create several environemnts for my POC. I also want to test my work on multiple devices : iphone, ipad, desktop, etc. I cannot rely on OS specific name resolving mechanism (like NetBIOS on Windows) because most containers/clients are not Windows based. It leaves one universal naming method : DNS. It would be very convenient to have simple a GUI within qnap that would help me configure simple Adresse-Name mappings as a DNS service. Most developpers would appreciate, and AFAICT, qnap already ships with dnsmasq. The only problem is that the confgurations are overwritten every time the qnap reboots. With the built-in dnsmasq already listening on port 53, its not possible to create another process (or container/VM) on the same port to bypass it. It would be possible to add another instance of a DNS service on another port, but it would require port-forwarding on port 53 for internal traffic, and not all routers allow that type of port forwarding. It leaves me no real good solution, except hosting another "always-on" server for my DNS (oustide the qnap), which does not make too much sense, since my qnap is supposed to be my "always-on" home server. I don't think it would be very costy for them to add a config hook so developper could add their persistent mappings to the built-in dnsmasq. A web GUI would be a great nice-to-have. But maybe im missing something : does anyone knows another way I could solve my problem ? (still think the DNS feature would help lots of devellopers)
EPMTek
Starting out

Post by EPMTek »

I second Semantix4Arnold's suggestion, BUT I'd say use the Ubuntu 18.4 LXC container and then install pi-Hole with Bridged networking (so that there is an IP address on your LAN for DNS server). You don't have to use the DNS blocking functionality, but could just use it as a Local DNS server (as long as you are happy to use it as the DNS for all your devices).

Alternatively, you could possibly use the QNAP Domain Server functionality and just use the DNS server component of that?
Steve

TS-101, HS-251+, TR-004, TS-453D
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

entware also has dnsmasq,
you just have to make sure that you stop the builtin dnsmasq on reboot automatic ;)
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I don’t run a DNS server but I do run a DDNS updater so I don’t have to use DuckDNS, Noip, Dyndns etc
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

I agree with alexis.valois that having a local DNS server to manage a local subdomain, would be a useful app. It would be most userfriendly if it automatically inherits the domain name of the QNAP server itself as the superior domain name. It would be nice if you could have multiple local subdomains that independently could be associated with any of the networkinterfaces
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

alexis.valois wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 am I do not agree that if you need a DNS, it necessarly means you have a domain. Sometimes, you just want to stop remembering your static IP adresses inside your home LAN. For example : Im a web developper and Id like to create POCs using several docker containers in a microservice infrasturcture (a mongo DB, a REST api, an nginx reverse-proxy, etc.). I don't want to remembre 3,4,5, 10 static IPs for all my microservices, especially if i want to create several environemnts for my POC.
I do the same, and that is one of the things I use a RasberryPi for. If you don't have the inclining for a Pi, then why not just use your router for internal DNS? The router (which should be running OpenWRT, FreshTomato, DD-WRT or Merlin-WRT) runs a similar type of embedded Linux as QNAP does, but in most cases the router firmware is far more robust and secure than QNAPs embedded Linux implementation.

Or even simpler yet, just use a hosts file on our dev machine, in most cases simple really is best. ;)
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Yes dns can be done with containers and these other complex methods. However, an easy to use app would go a long way. If you get a chance, take a look at how synology does this. Very intuitive. I don’t want to have to build a solution. An app created and supported by QNAP would make sense.
SFX Group
Getting the hang of things

Post by SFX Group »

Come here looking for the same, we use SimpleDNS which is a Windows app, and works well but would like to dump Windows but still have a real nice DNS server. Microsoft DNS is bad at its job, we have administrated enough Windows domains to know it will fail almost all the time. SimpleDNS does a very good job and has a DHCP plugin, however means running a Windows box. I do agree though it needs to work and work well.
Many Thanks
deejinoz
Starting out

Post by deejinoz »

If you are ale to set your QNAP as an Active Directory server and an LDAP server, which rely heavily on DNS (in both cases they are documented prerequisites), how are QNAP achieving proper support?

It is long overdue that QNAP properly support a native DNS server. Synology have worked this out, why haven't QNAP?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You would have to ask them(ticket)...they do not come here
deejinoz
Starting out

Post by deejinoz »

I was already on to that, in a cunning pincer movement. This is what they have said:

"The NAS domain controller function include DNS server function, when you enable domain controller function in NAS control panel, it will enable DNS server at the same time, you can check it in NAS User Guide as below link

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 27BF6.html

The NAS LDAP server didn't include DNS server function, therefore, you need prepare another DNS server to map domain name into the NAS IP address.
"

So, if you're doing AD, you've got access to a basic DNS server, but only once you have activated AD (The options are not visible. until you complete activating AD). However, if you want to do DNS in a Windows WORKGROUP (not unheard of) or use LDAP you're left in the cold mucking about with containers and third party tools. This strikes me as QNAP cutting fundamental functionality, you should expect from a "business grade" server OS (I'm referring to those of us using QuTS Hero), as a support liability/cost-cutting exercise, that they seriously need to get over. Fair enough to do this for QTS and their consumer stream but pros using QuTS expect a little more and supporting a basic industry standard that's been around for almost 40 years is not unreasonable!
deejinoz
Starting out

Post by deejinoz »

Basically, QNAP seem to be stuck somewhere between being a home, prosumer and business system provider but is never quite sure of where it sits between these three. Sadly, the consumer side of things appears to be dominant and is only holding back the prosumer and business side of things. If QNAP are serious about getting traction, from the pro IT community, they need to lock in some critical core network basics, into their OS. This means supporting the following in a more structured and professional manner: DHCP, DNS, Name Services (either AD or LDAP) and file system sharing and permission management. Current offerings for all of these services ranges between kind of supported in a rudimentary or substandard way" up to "offered but with some fairly major reliability and usability issues or compromises".

Return to “Features Wanted”