SED question

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mrw13
Starting out

SED question

Post by mrw13 »

Hello

I have a QNAP 253D with 2x 8TB ST8000VN004-2M2101 drives (seagate ironwolf).

I was under the impression these should be SED enabled, but when i go into create storage pool wizard, when I check the box for "Create SED secure storage pool" the available disk disappears. I am not certain i'd use SED anyway, but just want to understand.

Also i'm a bit confused about volumes and storage pools. Is there somewhere i can read up? As i understand it, a pool has multiple volumes, is that right?

I have 2x 8TB disks and only one is in use yet, but looking to do raid mirroring.

Thanks!!!
pbrunnen
Starting out

Re: SED question

Post by pbrunnen »

Hello mrw13,
Yea, I am having the same issue... I've got ST3000NM0053 and ST6000NM0044 drives on QuTS Hero for a TS-h1886XU-RP and all of which I can see fine under sedutil on linux. QNap support so far has been completely useless as they they tell me to buy compatible drives, but there are no SED compatible drives on the list for my model. Very, very frustrated.
pbrunnen
Starting out

Post by pbrunnen »

So in case anyone else is searching regarding SED, let me save you the pain... (that is if they don't delete my posts)

QNap support for SED is *totally worthless* and I would suggest purchasing another manufactures device (or better yet, build a freenas server).
Regardless if a model drive is supported, SED is only supported on Consumer SSD drives! Rackmount units are geared toward Business customers, so Why would a Business customer who thinks about data integrity and security want to stuff their nas with Consumer grade drives???

Support jerked me around until just after the 30-day mark and now they won't take their junk back because "it isn't their fault".

This was the *LAST* thing I will *Ever* buy from QNap either personally or for customers... 🤬
673A-owner
First post

Post by 673A-owner »

Wish I found this sooner, thanks for putting this out there, even if not the news I hoped for, at least it is confirmed thanks to your efforts. I can confirm that TS-673A with QuTS 5.0 still has this very same limitation. Saw that consumer SSD for boot drives allowed SED storage pool enablement (Crucial MX500), so went out of my way to purchase SED SATA HDD's to expedite hardware unlock and all that jazz, drives hard to find in todays market. Highly disappointed now that the storage pool creation does not show them when I select 'Create SED secure storage pool', which did work for those MX500 SSD drives. The QNAP UI should by now in 2022 really say "SED secure storage pool (SSD only)", or they should add proper support for HDD's as well with an SED feature / compatibility list. As it is now, I fully agree with you lot, this is ridiculous.

For reference my SED SATA HDD model not working with QNAP SED as it is display in QNAP disk info: Seagate Exos ST16000NM003G-2KH113, 16TB
From Seagate website:
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/enterpris ... /exos-x16/
Exos X16 16 TB
ST16000NM003G
5-year limited warranty
16TB
SATA 6 Gb/s
SED
512E
pbrunnen
Starting out

Post by pbrunnen »

Hi 637A-owner,
Sorry to hear another person has gotten trapped by their BS marketing. I ended up selling most of my QNap gear off on eBay, but I did put together a nice NAS on an old TS-1679U-RP by adding two NVME SSDs via a PCIe adapter card and installing FreeNAS on the box. Now I can use the Seagate SED drives... It is an older model QNap so I only use it for backup, but it works very well and I have full SED support. Sadly before selling off newest QNap TS-H1886XU-RP that I had, I did attempt to install FreeNAS on it but they have started using some wacky Marvel SATA chipset which both linux and freebsd don't support. I even went so far as to try building the Marvel drivers for a recent linux kernel, but they segfault and I just don't have the time to dig through Marvel's code and figure out their mess. So... yea.

I do wish you the best of luck! -Cheers, Peter.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”